Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60089 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Late Autumn 1915, Revision Phase
« Reply #270 on: June 15, 2018, 06:13:00 pm »

-Snip-
Quote from: Bomb
Mk.1 "Bottled Fury" Bomb:
Based on the knowledge for creating our artillery shells, the Bottled Fury uses the same explosive and impact fuze but with a much thinner shell. Since we won't be firing them out of a cannon, they don't need a thick shell like artillery shells do, and it also doesn't have a brass casing or propellant powder. Instead it has a metal bomb casing just thick enough to handle safely and create metal fragments on detonation. As a consequence there's a lot more room for explosives. We will aim for a weight of 75lbs, which should be much deadlier than an 85 pound artillery shell.  An "X"-shaped set of fins help the bomb fall more aerodynamically.

The bomb comes with a mounting bracket - essentially four padded arms and two hooks that will hold the bomb securely and steadily during flight.  The hooks deactivate through the flip of a lever in the cockpit.  This mounting can be attached under the fuselage of any of our aircraft, with the cost of the mounting figured into the cost of the bomb.

What about this?  The bomb, plus the mounting bracket.  Judging by how the Rhino's horn went, I'd think this is fairly reasonable for a revision.  It wouldn't require us to make overhauls to our planes just for bombing (see the Ostrich) - just slap the mount on and go.  If the plane can handle it, slap on two.  Etc.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:34:33 am by evictedSaint »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 15, 2018, 06:23:15 pm »

If we can get a bomb and bomb mounts that can be attached to anything so long as it can carry it we will be in quite a good spot I would say. If its possible anyway...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 15, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »

Aviator's Signature Luger

As spectacular as officer sabers are, it's rather impractical to tote around.  But what would better turn heads in the officer mess than a customized foreign pistol?  Upon graduation of flight school, aviators are issued an imported P08 9mm Luger, presented in a varnished wooden display box.  The grip is custom engraved with a prominent Verusa Aviation insignia, easily visible in an open holster.  Although primarily a prestige item, the Signature Luger is also an excellent sidearm for survival situations.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 15, 2018, 07:39:41 pm »

I'll just respond to those two questions, so I'll have something to do. The monarch is probably a king, at least if the description of daring is to be believed. As for parachutes, we probably have none, considering in ww1 they where only used on observation balloons due to fears that pilots would ditch out of a perfectly good aircraft...and the simple fact that the parachutes at the time where quite large and bulky
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 15, 2018, 11:41:36 pm »

I'd vote for the bottled fury (let's cut STCN out of the name though lol). We just need a full revision plan.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 16, 2018, 12:45:43 am »

Quote from: votes
(1) Emu cost revision revisit: Jerick
(2) Verusan Knight of Flight Badge: Piratejoe, eS
(1) Squadron identification and organization: Piratejoe
(0) Mk.1 "Somebody Think of a Cool Name" STCN Bomb:
(0) VRAC A.1b “Ostrich”:
(2) Mk.1 "Bottled Fury" STCN Bomb: Piratejoe, eS
(1) Get a Better Camera: eS
(0) Send a Die to Germany:
(1) Bank 1 Die: eS

Considering Cnid already questioned the effectiveness of giving the planes a paintjob, I'm gonna take a pass on the Squadron identification and organization revision.

I'd like us to save a dice to do a double design next turn.

The Generals requested we do photographs.  Maybe we should get a better camera this turn?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:50:04 am by evictedSaint »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 16, 2018, 12:58:52 am »

(3) Verusan Knight of Flight Badge: Piratejoe, eS, Sensei
(0) VRAC A.1b “Ostrich”:
(3) Mk.1 "Bottled Fury" STCN Bomb: Piratejoe, eS, Sensei
(2) Get a Better Camera: eS, Sensei
(0) Send a Die to Germany:
(2) Bank 1 Die: eS, Sensei

I'm not sure about voting on separate items. In a game like this where there's a lot of separate stuff happening at once it's a little unclear what threshhold of votes causes something to happen or not, and it's possible for us to unwittingly vote for conflicting items. I recommend we make an action plan and vote for it instead:

Quote from: Plan A
Verusan Knight of Flight Badge: 1 Die
Mk.1 "Bottled Fury" STCN Bomb:1 Die
Get a Better Camera: 1 Die
Bank 1 Die

Quote from: Alternate Votes, if we wanna do that
Plan A: (1) Sensei
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 16, 2018, 01:09:23 am »

Sensei you traitor! We where gonna spend that 1 die on Zeppelins...Also it's more than just a paint job, which could strike fear into our enemies if a squadron with a special distinct paint job gets infamous amongst our enemy, but it also includes streamers to be attached to one wing to identify who's the flight leader, something that is hard to tell otherwise in ww1 aircraft unless the pilot has a paintjob distinct even from their squadron, which only aces would get. Speaking of, aces would be able to get their own paint job.

Also it might help for our own pilots moral and could lead to camouflage in the future. Regardless it probably would go under pilots and act in a similar way daring does, or something... Besides how can we have our very own flying circus without those paint jobs?

Anyway...
(3) Verusan Knight of Flight Badge: Piratejoe, eS, Sensei
(0) VRAC A.1b “Ostrich”:
(3) Mk.1 "Bottled Fury" STCN Bomb: Piratejoe, eS, Sensei
(2) Get a Better Camera: eS, Sensei
(1) Send a Die to Germany: Piratejoe
(2) Bank 1 Die: eS, Sensei
Edit: We probably should provide a proper revision to the camera...just saying
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 01:17:46 am by piratejoe »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 16, 2018, 01:17:44 am »

(2) Plan A: sensei, eS

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 16, 2018, 01:25:56 am »

(3) Plan A: sensei, eS, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 16, 2018, 02:02:27 am »

Someone else can write up the camera revision. 

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 16, 2018, 08:27:40 am »

Sigh, might as well, maybe I can get sensei on board with this.

Quote from: Plan B
Verusan Knight of Flight Badge: 1 Die
Mk.1 "Bottled Fury" STCN Bomb:1 Die
Get a Better Camera: 1 Die
Send a die to Germany

(3) Plan A: sensei, eS, Happerry
(1) Plan B: Piratejoe
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:29:28 am by piratejoe »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 16, 2018, 10:41:15 am »

WWI Aerial Camera Research:
http://tim-slater.blogspot.com/2016/05/british-photographic-reconnaissance.html
http://tim-slater.blogspot.com/2016/05/british-photographic-reconnaissance_23.html
http://tim-slater.blogspot.com/2016/06/british-photographic-reconnaissance.html
(Six part series, but the later ones are waaaay too advanced for us to consider, including stereoscopic cameras.)

I don't really have time to write it up this weekend, but I'd recommend basically the type A camera: 8 inch lens set at infinity focus.  Operated by cutting a hole in the floor of the cockpit, and stabilizing the camera against the floor.  As the article mentions, we're in the era of hardplate film, so advancing film is harder than you'd think.  Still, probably a good place to start as making a film autoloader is probably too much complexity this early.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 16, 2018, 01:42:07 pm »

I do actually think we should give one of the fancy Emus to our Monarch (what kind of monarch do we have btw?) it should net us some prestige and maybe if we're lucky our monarch maybe become more interested in aviation.

The Kingdom of Verusa is ruled by the young King Eiros II, who took the throne after a protracted succession crisis when his half-brother, uncle and niece all died from falling off balconies. There's no record of him knowing what a plane is, but you could send him one!

I'll give you all more time to decide what camera you want to get! Probably don't want to leave it up to the junior engineers to decide what's better, those guys might just go for coolest-looking one.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 58