Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60108 times)

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2018, 04:02:35 pm »

Design Phase, Late Autumn 1915

Squire 2 of Rhinos near Derboise is now at Rookie experience level.

The fall of Derboise has seen several generals ‘reassigned’ to other postings. In their wake, the Sky Crusaders have escaped the blame, mainly due to several dramatic bombing raids on the enemy artillery. The new generals are divided whether to launch an immediate counterattack in hopes of regaining the city, or to fall back to more defensible terrain to the north and along the Derboise-Demisonne road, with a majority favouring the latter.

The generals on the central front are somewhat annoyed by the withdrawal of most squadrons there but are prepared to stage an attack to capture Dreidansk. They call for more balloons to be sent here, and aerial photographs like the Kolechians have, if possible.

An artillery captain approaches the Sky Crusaders with a proposal. The Sky Eye balloons are able to carry three, of which all three are currently Sky Crusader personnel. He proposes that two of these spots be instead filled by artillerymen, who are both more familiar with artillery spotting and integrated into the batteries’ command structure, to improve the performance of the Sky Eyes. The lone Sky Crusader will still be in command of the balloon.

On Okinso, the garrison commander is appreciative of the new squadron of Sky Eye balloons assigned to the city. With the power of naval gunfire directed by these balloons and Basselton being a major port, the city should be able to hold out indefinitely even if the eastern road falls and the city is encircled. The chain of command here is a little convoluted – the balloon observers send their information to army forces in the city, who in turn radio the ships offshore for support.

Some Midako tourists make derogatory remarks as to the lack of an acrobatic squadron in Verusa.

High command has increased your budget by 2 PP, as the country devotes more factories to war. Top-quality Verusan whiskey has been replaced by cheap beer, and the remaining bottles of single-malt are fetching a high price on the black market.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 13, 2018, 04:11:49 pm »

So it seems that having more then one set of balloons in a location is an advantage after all, because the enemy was called out as having an advantage for having more balloons. Also, I still think it would have been better not to try to do grenade bombing runs, but it does seem to have impressed our superiors so I guess it worked out ok.

We really need to get a good camera system though. Can we design one of our own now that we've actually got cameras to work off of? One's designed for air recon and so would be designed with long range? Either that or see if we can design an actual bomb.

Also, since we saved a dice last turn, don't we have six dice right now to do stuff with, so we can do two designs, or am I confusing myself?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 13, 2018, 04:28:35 pm »

9 Production Points to play with. I say we spend 2 dice on the VRAC A.1 Emu and make the revisions we have on the VRAC A.1 for cost, our current camera, and give our squadrons the ability to paint their aircraft and be unique from eachother, that or an actual bomb. I also say we accept that proposal.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:19:20 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 13, 2018, 04:39:31 pm »

Can we requesition HE artillery shells?  Cheaper than a bomb, and we can revision a holster/deployment rig.

Additionally, we can put three of our six dice on starting a bomber design.  Maybe something humble a two-engine with two gunners and a pilot?  The last three can be used to advance the project and send some dice to the germans.  Or, we could try to double-down on the Emu again, maybe, and spend the last dice on trying to cheapen it?  But that would leave us 2 dice short for the German thing...

Speaking of which, any thoughts on the German proposal? I don't think anyone on this team is particularly interested in airships, so maybe we should pass....

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2018, 04:45:19 pm »

The emu is based on the F.E 2b, which was historically used as a night bomber when it was obsolete. Its also noted that it has a larger wingspan than the Rhino. So just upgrading the engine to be more powerful should allow it to be a decent bomber for now. As for the airships, we should at most spend 1 die. It would be amazing for prestige and we might be able to be creative and maybe make them useful.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2018, 06:02:50 pm »

Here's an idea; we might want a way to reliable up skill our pilots before we send them out.
Quote from: Sky Crusader Pilot School
As the war in the air expands so too does the need for skilled pilots. As things stand our pilots are learning the basics of how to fly mid combat and are only barely being passable as rookies after several battles, only the survivors really know how to fly their planes. The only reason this hasn't enabled the enemy to trounce us in the air is they suffer from the same problem. The constant losses of unskilled pilots prevents our squadrons from increasing in skill at the rate they might possibly be able to. Thus I propose we set aside an air field and facilities to train new pilots in the art of flight and air combat. The new pilots will be drilled on the controls of their aircraft and will hold mock battles in the sky with the other trainees. Not only will this assist in granting them experience but it will also allow us to test and develop new aerial tactics away from the eyes of the enemy. Training will take time and the school will need funding to operate but I feel the experience gained will be well worth it.

Speaking of which, any thoughts on the German proposal? I don't think anyone on this team is particularly interested in airships, so maybe we should pass....
Well the thing is the airships of the era either use vast amounts of helium which makes them impractically expensive or hydrogen which makes them explode. So yeah there's a reason the Germans are looking for help, I'd vote pass on that. My vote for our dice this turn would be 2 into emu, 3 into pilot school and 1 to make the emu a usable price.

Quote from: Emu cost revision revisit
In order to reduce the cost of the Emu, I Jerick Forsoth of the Verusa Sky Crusader command will personally go to the facilities responsible for developing the aircraft. I will bring with me a stack of papers detailing all the unnecessary decorative elements that must be removed, a rolled up newspaper and a lengthy, well prepared diatribe about the merits of cost/benefit analysis in war time. Anyone who objects to the simplifying of the Emu will receive from me a thwack from the newspaper and a recitation of my speech on costs. I will continue in this manner until the Emu is cheaper.

I will offer an olive branch to our seemly artistically inclined engineers and I will inform them that if they can reduce costs enough the initial prototype will not be stripped of it's gems and decorations but will instead be shipped to our glorious monarch as both a gift from the Sky Crusaders and a demonstration of our technology and the skills of our engineers.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 13, 2018, 06:29:46 pm »

I dunno if we can upgrade our pilot school.  If we can, then I would strongly encourage Cnid to reconsider and disallow it.  That path only leads to frustration, salt, and very boring designs.

What about we distract our pilots with a shiny new badge?

Quote from: Revision
Verusan Knight of Flight Badge

Verusan are well-reknown for their daring and brave acts, and such feats of heroism should be accurately rewarded in the skies.

The Verusan "Knight of Flight" Badge (aside from rolling nicely off the tongue) is awarded to pilots who have demonstrated considerable heroism in combat rising above and beyond the call of duty.  The badge is ranked according to the pilots contribution to the war effort and the nature of the selfless act of heroism.

KoF 3rd Class is awarded to pilots who have prevailed against uneven odds, demonstrated brave or daring feats, or otherwise acted in a manner which deserves recognition.  This can include rescuing a besieged wingman, defending troops on the ground from attack, or any other inspiring deed which accurately reflects Verusan values.

KoF 2nd Class is awarded to those who have overcome poor odds, performed remarkable feats of heroism, or otherwise contributed to the war effort in ways that exceed what is normally expected of Verusan airmen.  This award is given to those who represent what all Verusan soldiers strive to be, and would be an award befitting an Ace pilot.

KoF 1st Class is the highest honor attainable by Verusan airmen.  It is to be awarded to those who have overcome impossible odds, performed unbelievable feats of heroism, or otherwise contributed to the war effort in ways that have changed the course of the war.

While our pilots are distracted, we quietly make the Emu cheap.

It's too bad the Emu isn't at 50% yet.  Maybe we can bank some dice this turn, revise the Emu + send a dice to Germany, then start off next turn with a design for a new bomber and a new fighter?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:25:00 pm by evictedSaint »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2018, 06:45:45 pm »

Quote from: squadron identification and organization
In combat where multiple squadrons of aircraft are flying, pilots can possibly be detached from their squadrons and fly home with the wrong squadron of aircraft. Along with this squadron leaders are quite hard to identify once flying in formation ceases. As such we have devised a way to solve both issues. In order to know who's who, easier aircraft are to be given paint jobs to look not only a bit more distinct from other squadrons but to strike fear into our enemies for squadrons which are more skilled. Squadrons will also be given emblems and said emblems will be painted on either the body next to the cockpit and or on the tail depending on the aircraft. Flight leaders will be given streamers to be attached to the wing to identify who is leading the flight and said streamers come in a few different colors and checkered versions of white and the other colors available as well. Finally, pilots who have become aces can paint their plane any way they like, though it's advised to paint something that wont get them confused with another squadron.

This should hopefully not only make squadrons more organized but also help pilots know who's who in areas with a high concentration of allies and in combat, along with possibly instilling a sense of unity and belonging in a squadron
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:47:49 pm by piratejoe »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2018, 12:13:25 am »

We cant upgrade our pilot school I'm pretty sure.

Let's spend whatever dice we need to finish off the ARAC this turn. If we can afford it, we can revision bomb racks maybe, then build a dedicated bomber later.

As for the German balloons, I'm sure spending two dice isn't worth the bonuses, and well probably need every die to get the ARAC in working order.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2018, 12:34:28 am »

We should only spend 2 more dice on the VRAC A.1 Emu, we have 9 production points, and each dice costs 2 to work on it. So, unless our revisions work well in lowering cost without lowering effectiveness we will be out of luck on buying the thing if we want a prototype. Revisions should be making the emu cheaper by simply not have carved emu head flight sticks and encrusted sheaths, Once that is done, we can work on making the Sky eye more stable, our camera longer ranged, and our squadrons fancier and more organized.

Also we should probably put in 1 die into the zepelin the germans want. I get the feeling no one on both sides really wants them because they are mostly a dead end but me and Sensei. Besides, prestige and effectiveness are not entirely related, and being an arms race and being 1915 we could make it work for a bit.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:36:02 am by piratejoe »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2018, 06:21:09 am »

I want Zeppelins. We could make an airborne aircraft carrier.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:03 am »

A preliminary look at our turn:

6 dice
1 Cheaper Emu
1 German Zepplin (1 PP)
1 Better Camera (For the capture of Dreidansk)
2 Dice Invest Emu (4 PP)
1 Saved

PP Spending
  16 Base
-   4 Emu Investment
-   1 German Zep
-   7 Maintenance
    4 left over

In particular, our generals wanted:
The generals on the central front are somewhat annoyed by the withdrawal of most squadrons there but are prepared to stage an attack to capture Dreidansk. They call for more balloons to be sent here, and aerial photographs like the Kolechians have, if possible.

Plus, we have a 100% chance of hitting the 50% prototype on the Emu, which will cost 6 PP unless we make it cheaper.  Judging by the cost of the Rhino, we can reasonably expect it to cost anywhere between 3-6 in initial cost, and 1-3 in maintenance.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:07:44 am by evictedSaint »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:27 am »

The German Zepplin takes 1pp per dice we invest. Also there's another point that goes against investing in the German Zeppelin and it is that Cindaros mentioned investing in it might piss off the British.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2018, 09:07:08 am »

I forget, who won WW1? Was it the Germans or the other guys?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2018, 09:22:27 am »

The Allies won. Germany lost and actually lost pretty badly which is why the allies where able to impose the treaty of Versailles on them. Said treaty included crippling economic and military restrictions and these restrictions caused a lasting anger in the German people. This anger was then exploited by Hitler and the Nazi party to come to power and Hitler's rebelling against the terms of the treaty won him much popularity in his early years in power.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 58