Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60135 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2018, 05:48:02 pm »

Ah - okay, I see.  The first investment isn't free.

So it would be:
-1 Emu investment
-1 Emu Rush (no dice cost)
-1 Aileron Rhino
-1 Cheapen the Emu
-1 Sky Eye Stability
-1 Dice left Over
I am 100% behind this plan

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2018, 06:49:53 pm »

I am behind that plan too. We probably should make a vote box to make it easier for Cnidaros to count our votes but for now the plan we have has 3 votes.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2018, 07:11:58 pm »

Quote from: Plan Matchstick
-1 Emu Investment
-1 Emu Rush (no dice cost)
-1 Aileron Rhino
-1 Cheaper Emu
-1 Sky Eye Stability
-1 Dice Left Over

Quote from: Aileron Rhino
Ailerons are added to the Rhino, allowing the craft to roll without relying on wing-warping.

Quote from: Cheaper Emu
The gem-encrusted sheaths and carved emu handles are quietly removed from the aircraft.  In order to soothe the disappointed pilots, a small "Wings Badge" is given to those who are skilled enough to make even a flightless bird soar through the sky.  This badge is a small pair of tin wings and gives the wearer +1 to their prestige and given to any pilot who has flown an Emu in combat.

Quote from: Sky Eye Stability
No clue how to pull this off.  Any one got any ideas?

Quote from: Votebox
(3) Plan Matchstick: eS, piratejoe, Jerick

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2018, 07:38:41 pm »

Rephrase the cheaper Emu to have it so that the aces and such are able to have their carved flight stick and encrusted sheaths. It will make the Pilots happier and more daring. You can just use the revision I suggested for last turn.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2018, 07:45:15 pm »

still having gem-encrusted fighter planes with artisanal engravings - even for just the aces - is more expensive than a simple tin badge. 

I would be very disappointed in our pilots if they fought harder solely because they want more expensive planes.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2018, 07:51:30 pm »

Well, if we don't rush the Emu it's going to be an average of 4 more turns before we get it out.  The Kol's could have their own fighter out before we do, even if they start a comparably-long project this turn.  I say do 2 dice this turn and fix the bug if it appears.  That leaves us with enough to buy a new Rhino and a Sky Eye...or do you pay maintenance the turn you acquire the equipment?

Also, can we requesition civilian cameras?
You only pay maintenance on what you had in the battle report, not newly-bought equipment. See last turn where you only paid 4 PP maintenance despite buying a bunch of Sky Eyes.

You can't requisition cameras because the army doesn't issue them as equipment, but sourcing for civilian ones would be a revision-tier action.

What Jerick said about rush dice is correct.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2018, 07:51:57 pm »

I mean, no offense but they would. Not only is survival and patriotism a good motivator, but so are medals, money, and other rewards. Actually, didn't the USSR even pay pilots 1000 rubles for every fighter kill and 2000 for every bomber in ww2?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2018, 08:09:59 pm »

Maybe we could use our remaining dice to source cameras in revision, then?

I'm pretty sure rewards were more along the line of putting tallymarks on your plane, medals, and monetary bonuses.  1000 rubles in ww2 was about $30, so sure I guess we can give them a bonus each time they shoot down an enemy fighter if we're not doing all that stuff already.  I'm not sure handing out semi-precious gemstones was something anyone did, though.

does anyone know how to make a hot air balloon stable? I imagine adding a rigid structure like a zeppelin has would work, but I'm not sure that's possible or practical.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2018, 08:30:30 pm »

This might help you in the how to make a balloon stable thing, its from the arms race I use to run and plan to eventually restart.

Following the limited observational range of flares limiting the Nafuni artillery’s effectiveness in the field, the military sought to extend the range at which an observer could reliably guide artillery and from safe conditions. Inspiration was drawn from the Europeans and their long usage of balloons, and relatively recently shaped balloons meant to stay stable and aloft even in adverse conditions.

The result is the Toth-type kite balloon - A 4 meter in diameter, 10 meter long aerodynamic balloon, comprising four inflatable bags filled with helium, a thick fabric envelope protecting the bags, a single rigid bar secured to, and extending through and to both sides of said bag, on whose two axis the bags are located; wings secured to, and outwardly projecting from opposite sides, respectively, of said bag and fastened to said bar; a flying wire, a wire rig connecting said flying wire with said bar on opposite sides of said bag, and a strut passed over said bag and fastened with its ends to said bar on opposite sides of said bag, giving it structural stability. Additional struts extend from the ends of the bar, to the front of the balloon, holding a metal basket holding the operators and their equipment, with flags and mirrors being the standard means of communication with artillery crews utilizing the 16×2.76” Wadjet Binoculars, two small lightweight hand-held telescopes mounted side-by-side and aligned to point in the same direction, allowing the viewer to use both eyes when viewing distant objects and giving the viewer an impression of depth.

Compared to a  conventional balloon which tends to drift down the wind and the harder the wind blows, the further the balloon drifts. This leans the tether over at an angle, pulling the balloon lower, whereas here the kite action lifts the balloon, counteracting this pull and holding the Toth in position. As the wind blows harder, the kite action lifts harder. This can provide good stability even in strong winds. In low or gusty winds a conventional kite can nose-dive, losing a large amount of height even if it recovers, but because of the Toth is buoyant it does not nose-dive and remains in position even in relatively still air.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2018, 10:29:39 pm »

I know, I know, double post and all that, but I made a thing

I might work on it some more later....

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2018, 10:38:32 pm »

Looks great, man!  I can't wait until we're putting out more cool stuff, this art is already killer and it's gonna be awesome seeing what other cool pieces of gear we draw up :)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2018, 10:43:55 pm »

If I keep having access to a PC, well, I'll draw every aircraft that I make. And maybe some of the ones I don't. Main reason why I'll be making only/mostly my own aircraft is because quiet simply I have a better feel for how they look compared to the things other people make. Though, a rough sketch would help if ya want one...

I feel its safe to say that any art competition if we have any will be won by us unless Kot or something joins our enemies.

Edit, I just realized we probably should deploy some Sky eyes to the Marcranve-Zydinah frontline, at least at some point anyway.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:05:55 pm by piratejoe »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2018, 02:26:52 am »

Quote from: Votebox
(4) Plan Matchstick: eS, piratejoe, Jerick, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2018, 11:46:50 am »

Verusa Design Phase, Early Autumn 1915

VRAC A.1 “Emu” (1 die spent, 1 die rushed)

Progress: 2+1+4 = 7/15. 2 PP spent
Work on the Emu design proceeds apace, and engineer leaves are temporarily revoked to accelerate the project. Surprisingly, this proves to make them more productive, not less. Details of production are ironed out, albeit with much debate over whether to retain the artful features of the test model in the final line design. The lead engineers estimate that a prototype squadron might be produced next season if work continues.

VRAC A.1 “Emu” | 7/15 progress | 2 PP per die | Rushed 1 time | 4 PP invested

It is now the Revision Phase, Early Autumn 1915. You have 4 dice remaining to spend on Revisions or bank for the next turn.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2018, 12:11:16 pm »

Where's the requisition for the grenades?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 58