Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60119 times)

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2018, 02:10:11 pm »

That pilots going to have a hell of a time seeing assuming hes the one in the rear with that machine gun facing to the rear, especially since it'll be dumping brass on him while he flies. I reckon if we plan on expanding our air service into the navy we will probably have to design the naval aircraft be it observation balloons or float planes which are  the only real options we have right now, along with recovery systems for them a crane for the float planes and some sort of automatic recovery winch for the balloon so the navy wont have to spare five sailors to reel it in. Though i doubt the navy would like balloons much at all it would make them easier to spot by far compared to planes just to big of a silhouette. If i was to figure next turn we might want to come up with some simple hand dropped bombs before we go for bombers just to see if it might be practical to later convert our current fighting scouts to bombers or if we are just going to need a whole new chassis for it. Also whipping up a more powerful engine  wouldn't be to bad as far as it goes aint nothing wrong with future proofing.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2018, 02:36:38 pm »

Probably switch to a single-seater at some point.  The Bolter is closed-bolt, so we can do a synch gearing set up for a more powerful tractor-prop design without having to do crazy shit like armoring the props.  We somehow have a four-blade prop to start with, which is excellent.  Maybe we can switch from a straight-eight to a V12 or something.  I dunno too much about ww1 engines, so I'm not sure what a realistic design would be for that.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2018, 02:49:25 pm »

Not a bad picture eS, though I was thinking the second machine gun mount was put a bit higher up so not only could the pilot see better but so it could fire over the wings, also if we go for any kind of new engine, it probably should be a radial one unless its for CAS or a bomber, and radial engines always have an odd number of pistons.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2018, 02:59:18 pm »

Yeah i would support a radial engine of some sort that more power just opens up a lot of options for later aircraft. I dont really think just armoring the prop and saying you know who needs a synch gear sure it would work. We would just loose a lot of planes from ricochets nailing the pilot. Honestly i think the synch gear is something we could wait on due to its complexity and just how much it will change the game i think it would be a while till we get a real line model so to speak. We can get around needing it by either mounting the machine-gun above the prop on top of the top wing or mounting it further out on the wings. Of course we would probably need a wooden wing to pull that off well but i think we could do it with cloth wings and aluminum spars. Mind you we would take a hit to the accuracy of our weapons but it will save a lot of hassle in the mean time.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2018, 03:08:59 pm »

I dunno, I think we could pull off a synch gear in a dedicated design. 

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2018, 04:44:30 pm »

Synch gear would be nice, we can consider making it part of a plane design or maybe trying to do it as a revision later. However, it's not essential. We can probably do just fine working around a synch gear by putting guns on the wings of single-engine planes or in the middle of two-engine planes. As a consequence I wouldn't make synch gears a high priority.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2018, 05:06:19 pm »

I wonder how hard it would be to lay a barrel through the headers of a v12 and fire down the shaft, like a yak-7 or a p-39...probably pretty hard, since we might have trouble making a strong enough shaft that can withstand the propeller and MG vibrations while having a hollow center...

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2018, 05:11:32 pm »

Since I had access to a computer, I made this.

Spoiler: VRAC A1 Emu (click to show/hide)
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2018, 06:01:31 pm »

I wonder how hard it would be to lay a barrel through the headers of a v12 and fire down the shaft, like a yak-7 or a p-39...probably pretty hard, since we might have trouble making a strong enough shaft that can withstand the propeller and MG vibrations while having a hollow center...
That's just asking for trouble! We don't need to over-complicate things. We don't even have metal planes yet.

Also keep in mind that at 8 turns per year, it'll probably only be 1918 or so when the game ends. We aren't going to have much of other peoples' technological background to draw on and we're going to be inventing much of the basics ourselves rather than taking them for granted.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2018, 06:20:05 pm »

That's just asking for trouble! We don't need to over-complicate things. We don't even have metal planes yet.

Also keep in mind that at 8 turns per year, it'll probably only be 1918 or so when the game ends. We aren't going to have much of other peoples' technological background to draw on and we're going to be inventing much of the basics ourselves rather than taking them for granted.

What if we just build a cold-war heat-seeking missile? That seems easy enough to pull off, apparently >:C

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2018, 06:20:47 pm »

I think the GM might speed tech along, or we could just do projects that are ahead of their time.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2018, 07:14:08 pm »

I honestly hope the GM doesnt speed tech along, it just kinda ruins the whole thing if we jump from a wood spar and cloth winged push plane too an aluminum winged monoplane straight out of 1935. If we fight this whole war with canvas and wood it would be pretty dang reasonable though i hope we could eventually get to some wooden wings and aluminum frames at least of a monoplane CAS/fighter-bomber vehicle. Also i honestly think we can just avoid the Synch Gear by mounting weapons on the wings if we could get aluminum spars or at least one integrated into our canvas fighting scouts. Though for now i reckon we should focus on simple designs that can be integrated across our whole air fleet like little hand grenade sized bombs that could be tossed out of our fighting scout, maybe some proper flight gear to increase the combat effectiveness of our pilots, or someway to due the spotting job better then having to fly all the way back to the airfield then send the message obviously wireless is out of the question but what about putting cameras in the planes you know if the info is going to be old lets make it damn accurate. If we dont do that lets get some sealed metal tubes with parachutes that the observers can drop over friendly positions with hand drawn maps it wont be fantastic but it will be quicker then them landing and then having someone run the maps up to the artillery's FDC

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2018, 01:45:24 am »

Quote from: Spending and deployment plan(Balloons)
New Equipment
3-new bolt machine guns (3pp)
4-new Sky eye squadrons (4pp)
Total Equipment cost 7pp

Maintenance 4pp
Total Cost 11pp

Re-equipping and rearming
3 Barnson’s Bird-Watching Essentials moved from squire 1-3 to Rook 2-4
3 Bolt machine guns equipped to squadrons Squire 1-3

Deplotement
Rook 1-2 deployed attached to different artillery units along the northern front
Rook 3-4 deployed attached to different artillery units along the central plains
Rook 5 is offered to be used to assist the Navy
Squire 1 is deployed to the Northern Front to engage any enemy aircraft that wander over the Verusa lines
Squire 2-3 is deployed to the central plains to engage any enemy aircraft that wander over the Verusa lines

Production plans locked in, expect the battle report tomorrow.

You all can make projects ahead, or even way ahead of the times, but expect exorbitant progress time and costs, and lackluster results unless you roll a bunch of sixes.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2018, 02:17:54 pm »

Design Phase, Early Autumn 1915

Squire 3 of Rhinos at the central plains is now at Rookie experience level.

The general in charge of organising the defence of Derboise urgently requests that you send more planes there, either to shoot down the enemy balloons, planes or both. He is sure that if the Sky Eyes can be protected, the city could be held by Verusan artillery firing from sheltered positions.

Meanwhile, the army generals in the central front are confident that if the situation does not change, they could advance to the outskirts of Dreidansk in the next two months. They do request for aerial photography to speed this advance.

A few contacts have been made among the naval officers, and trials to fly a balloon from ships have been conducted with an older-model destroyer and some converted merchantmen. On the destroyer, there is hardly enough deck space to inflate the large envelope of a Sky Eye. It takes up to half an hour to fully launch the balloon, during which the destroyer is unable to fire. Tests on the merchant ships are marginally more successful with the greater deck area, and the balloon does increase the ship's observational range, but it slows down the ship too much to keep up with a convoy when towed.

Overall, while the naval officers note that it could be useful for stationary picket ships, they conclude that the admirals do not see a need for naval balloons at the moment. Rook 5 has been returned to your use.

High command has increased your budget by 2 PP, as the country devotes more factories to war. Production of children’s toys is discontinued, and children now play with sticks instead.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2018, 03:02:33 pm »

Right lesson learned say air superiority in future that way they'll hunt down enemy balloons. But we need to deal with the Derboise situation. Frankly I think we need a fourth Squire squadron and as we might need to consider deploying three Squire squadrons to the north. I'm of the opinion they'll push hard in the north rather than defend the south. They have territory to lose in the south but a city to gain in the north. We'll need to meet them or we risk losing some PP. However a forth squadron of armed Rhinos would cost 4pp and bring our maintenance up to 9pp a turn for next turn. Investing in the Emu fighter can only be done with one dice if we wish to buy this squadron. In terms of requisitioning I think we should get the standard infantry stick grenades the army is using and drop them from our planes onto the enemy. If our pilots can drop one of those into an enemy munitions depots or artillery positions they can do incredible damage. As for this turns revisions I think we should copy them and do ailerons and I think it's about bloody time we got a functioning camera.

Quote from: Votes
1 dice to Emu (1); Jerick

Requistion
Standard Army Stick grenade (1); Jerick
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 58