Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60081 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2018, 09:40:57 am »

I would like to add on or encourage a closed-bolt cycle, so we can develop sync gear later.  Other than tht, it seems fine.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2018, 09:53:01 am »

Personally, I would like something that is more like the Lewis gun or rather has a magazine, at least for now while we don't have sinc gear, but a belt fed machine gun works.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2018, 04:08:50 pm »

Personally, I would like something that is more like the Lewis gun or rather has a magazine, at least for now while we don't have sinc gear, but a belt fed machine gun works.
Belt fed is absolutely the better long-term solution, it's adaptable to all kinds of positions on an aircraft. Besides how else are we going to give them the whole nine yards?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2018, 05:00:35 pm »

I know it's better for the long run but it might be difficult to use for our early aircraft and might be a bit heavy too. Still, it hopefully won't cause any issues.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:04:32 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2018, 12:34:03 am »

I'd point out the army most likely has maxim-gun alikes, so belt fed isnt exactly remotely revolutionary at the moment.  I think it should be belt fed.

e:  Mind you aircraft machine guns tended to use disintegrating links, which they probably don't have, but that seems like much more of an incremental change.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:35:42 am by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2018, 12:39:33 am »

I think discussion has died down, so to reiterate:

Quote from: Verusa Royal Aviation Company Aircraft 1 "Emu" or VRAC A.1 "Emu"
The VRAC A.1 as its called in official documents, often called simply the A.1 or the Emu by most is a two seater biplane powered by a single inline eight piston water cooled engine behind the pilot that powers the four bladed wooden propeller behind it which pushes the aircraft forward. The wings are a fair longer then the old Rhino and has two ailerons on the top wing, one on the right end, and one on the left. The tail of the aircraft is supported by a set of wooden struts and a few wires to control the rudder and elevator, both of which are the most solid part of the rear of the craft. The landing wheels are made to be able to absorb some shock to be able to save the crew on a rough landing. The crew of the aircraft is an observer in the front of the aircraft and a pilot behind him, with the observer expected to do all of the scouting while the pilot simply flies. The observer also is to shoot at any enemy aircraft if he gets the chance, and the aircraft has two metal bars, one in between both seats, and one in front that one could screw a machine gun on if they had it, not that we actually have access to them...
Quote from: Machine Gun Requisition
We of the Verusan Sky Crusaders request an automatic rifle, which is:
-First and most of all belt fed, so that it may fire from a box of ammunition continously,
-Air cooled, but with a heavy barrel, so that it will be light in weight and cooled by air moving past the aeroplane to fire all of its ammunition,
-In the service rifle caliber, of something between 7mm and 8mm, so that there will be a balance of power and weight.
Requisition Machine Guns, Design VRAC A.1 with 3 Dice, spend 1 Die on Sky Eye, 1 die remains for revision
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2018, 12:52:13 am »

Again, maybe also try to angle for a closed-bolt variant to make timing gears easier?

I find it odd we're playing Go Fish with our allied armed forces.  Maybe we could just ask for a list of what the army fields? Or just check a quartermaster report?  Or send an intern to go physically check? 

"Uhh...do you have a .303 MG?"
"Nope, try again next turn."
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:56:53 am by evictedSaint »

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2018, 08:37:25 am »

I'll roll for Sensei's plan of the VRAC A.1 + his machine gun requisition soon, since two of three original voters for that have approved.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2018, 11:07:39 am »

Verusa Design Phase, Late Summer 1915

Requisition:

Quote from: Machine Gun Requisition
We of the Verusan Sky Crusaders request an automatic rifle, which is:
-First and most of all belt fed, so that it may fire from a box of ammunition continously,
-Air cooled, but with a heavy barrel, so that it will be light in weight and cooled by air moving past the aeroplane to fire all of its ammunition,
-In the service rifle caliber, of something between 7mm and 8mm, so that there will be a balance of power and weight.
Requisition Machine Guns, Design VRAC A.1 with 3 Dice, spend 1 Die on Sky Eye, 1 die remains for revision

The commander of the artillery battalion puts in a word for you, and soon crates of an older-model Bolt Machine Gun begin arriving at the aerodrome, along with plans for its manufacture. The Bolt is a belt-fed, air-cooled machinegun with a closed-bolt firing cycle. It fires at a rate of 450 rounds/min, is effective out to 2000m, and fires the .30-06 Springfield cartridge.

Bolt Machine Gun: A belt-fed machinegun capable of accurate firing out to 2000m. It is air-cooled and operates on a closed-bolt firing cycle. Cost 1 PP.

Quote from: Verusa Royal Aviation Company Aircraft 1 "Emu" or VRAC A.1 "Emu"
The VRAC A.1 as its called in official documents, often called simply the A.1 or the Emu by most is a two seater biplane powered by a single inline eight piston water cooled engine behind the pilot that powers the four bladed wooden propeller behind it which pushes the aircraft forward. The wings are a fair longer then the old Rhino and has two ailerons on the top wing, one on the right end, and one on the left. The tail of the aircraft is supported by a set of wooden struts and a few wires to control the rudder and elevator, both of which are the most solid part of the rear of the craft. The landing wheels are made to be able to absorb some shock to be able to save the crew on a rough landing. The crew of the aircraft is an observer in the front of the aircraft and a pilot behind him, with the observer expected to do all of the scouting while the pilot simply flies. The observer also is to shoot at any enemy aircraft if he gets the chance, and the aircraft has two metal bars, one in between both seats, and one in front that one could screw a machine gun on if they had it, not that we actually have access to them...

Time: 3 | Progress: 2 | Expense: 6

News that a proposal for a new aircraft has been accepted spreads like wildfire among the engineers. Austerity is the order of the day as materials left-over from the Sky Eye are repurposed to the construction of scale models and drawing up of blueprints, with surprising efficiency. However, the excitement over an actual aircraft design manifests more in bouts of drunken cheering than in actual useful work, and the occasional suggestion to name the plane after a bird that can actually fly.

VRAC A.1 “Emu” | 2/15 progress | 2 PP per die | Rushed 0 times | 2 PP invested

Effectiveness: 6 | Cost: 1 | Bugs: 6

The VRAC A.1 “Emu” is an aircraft using the ‘pusher’ configuration, with a water-cooled engine turning a large four-blade prop just aft of the wings. The tail of the aircraft is connected to the wings via a framework of wooden struts. It’s also the first two-seater in Verusan service – an observer sits in front of the pilot, either observing or manning the machine-guns. There are two swiveling mounts for the Bolt machine guns, one forward-firing in the nose of the plane, and one rearward-covering between observer and pilot, that fires upward and to the rear. The latter mount obstructs pilot vision to the immediate front.

In terms of performance, the sole test pilot who’s flown it describes the plane as wonderful. Although bigger than the Rhino, it achieves a slightly higher top speed thanks to a more powerful engine. Maneuverability is also improved thanks to the introduction of ailerons, and the test pilot estimates it is the equal of the retrofitted enemy Feather-1914 planes in this regard.

However, such a marvel of design doesn’t come cheap. The Emu was obviously going to be more expensive than a Rhino, but the engineers seem to have gone overboard making their first plane design as elaborate as possible. The plans call for high-quality wood to be used throughout, includes a hand-carved model of an emu head as the main control lever, and even provides for cermonial sheaths encrusted with lapis lazuli in both the pilot and observer position.

VRAC A.1 “Emu”: A two-seater biplane with a water-cooled engine in the pusher configuration. The Emu mounts two Bolt machineguns, in front and rear-facing swivel mounts, operated by the observer sitting forward of the pilot. Is reasonably fast and maneuverable for its size. Comes with shiny gemstone sheaths for the pilots to store their sabres in flight. Cost 6/3.

Sky Eye Observation Balloon

Progress: 6+4 = 10/8. 1 PP spent.

Amidst the excitement of working on the “Emu”, a group of engineers find the time to finish up plans for the Sky Eye Observation Balloon. Reports from the men of Rook 1 indicate that the gold-rimmed monocles don’t actually help to see further, but they do make the observers look smart. The Sky Eye is now ready for mass deployment to the frontlines, where word is already circulating about their effectiveness.

Project Complete! You can now deploy as many squadrons of Sky Eye balloons as you can afford.

It is now the Revision Phase, Late Summer 1915. You have 1 die remaining to spend on Revisions or bank for the next turn.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2018, 11:26:06 am »

Well, we made a expensive and very fancy VRAC A1, I think we can make a revision to make it so only the flight leader, aces, and so on get the most fancy and elaborate Emu Aircraft, so that way pilots are even more daring so they can get their fancy new plane.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2018, 11:27:50 am »

I demand that subsequent planes be named things like "Ostrich" and "Penguin" and "Dodo" and "Cassowary"

And yeah, a revision to cheapen the plane would be good. Or maybe one to slap the Bolter onto the Rhino?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:30:00 am by evictedSaint »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2018, 11:40:10 am »

Also, I picked emu because I felt we had a kind of arid animal theme. Other names I was thinking for future aircraft where Lion, Gazelle, Ostrich, and Hyena.

But yeah, here's my revision

Noble planes for Noble Fliers.
Seeing how out engineers made a glorious and beautiful aircraft, we have realized that such high quality in both terms of preformince and design would be hard to make and maintain. However, we shouldn't let our designers work go to waste. Simply put, the current elaborate and beautiful VRAC A.1 aircraft design will be limited to only specific fliers, flight leaders, aces, and other such people who deserve such a beutiful aircraft. The other pilots will receive a much less fancy version, and will have to work hard to earn such a plane. Another VRAC A.1 design will be made, one that forgoes the hand crafted emu head and lapis lazuli encrusted sheaths. Not only will this hopefully cut down on costs, but will also make pilots more daring and fight harder so that they may get such a wonderful fancy plane for their bravery and not just shiny metals.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2018, 12:28:36 pm »

Quote from: vote box
Noble Planes for Noble Fliers. (1): Piratejoe

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2018, 01:46:43 pm »

Because the Emu won't be ready either way, I suggest we revise it later. With 2PP per die, 5 dice per turn, and 13 PP to go we'll have to rush it to get it out even next turn anyway, and it will likely need some revisions then. I suggest we revise Foster Mounts for the Rhino.

Quote from: Rhino Horn Revision
The Rhino is to have a mount installed on the top wing which supports one forward-facing Bolt machine gun. It feeds its belt up a rail from a container behind the pilot and can be fired by a trigger the pilot has access to.

It's unlikely to be great though because the enemies have more maneuverable planes already. If you guys want we can spend our last die trying to revise the ARAC early but we'll be sitting ducks this turn. If they come out with machine guns and we don't have any weapons our balloons are probably screwed.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2018, 01:48:38 pm »

We need to reduce the cost of the Emu drastically but the Emu will not be ready for a turn or two yet. We need to be able to arm our fighters as soon as possible. The sooner we do the more damage we do (or prevent if the enemy also gets out armed aircraft this turn). Where as reducing the cost of the Emu while vital is something I think can afford to wait a turn.
Quote from: vote box
Noble Planes for Noble Fliers. (1): Piratejoe
Rhino Horn Revision (1): Jerick
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 58