Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60072 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2018, 05:31:41 pm »

I'm afraid of over-reach, I guess.

I would be hesitant to say a foster mounting is a revision, though.  It's a design by itself - probably not a difficult design, but something new all by itself.  My frame of reference is how much trouble we had making a hot air balloon last turn.
That was just a bad roll it's not remotely indicative of our technological capabilities. We rolled 2s on both effectiveness and design. If it was then this game would take absolutely forever to advance. Designs would be needed for anything remotely complicated and revisions would be pointless.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2018, 05:36:36 pm »

Ok could we make a smaller balloon controlled from the ground that takes pictures? Just something small and mobile. In addition, what about making an aircraft carrier, after we make a bomber of course.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2018, 05:51:59 pm »

Hmmm...well, I guess a new plane would be alright in conjunction with a Foster mounting. A rotary 9 or 11, with ailerons and a quadrant rail system for the requesitioned MG.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2018, 05:58:30 pm »

Why are you so obsessed with foster mounting? We should just make a pusher, it's less likely to fail and honestly our current aircraft won't be able to shoot down their own unless they make a mistake if the recent report is to be believed. Really we should try and move away from the rhino instead of slapping a machine gun on top of its wing.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2018, 06:03:13 pm »

I am just looking at what was effective and what is possible.  :(

Pushers tended to have worse performance due to the split tail boom, but I'll go with what the group wants.  I'm just trying to avoid jumping in and dropping a design, like I usually do.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2018, 06:06:13 pm »

Well For King and Country glory to Verusa, Verusa rules the wave's.

Arquebus AMG (Aerial Machine-gun)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like this design because if it comes out well it will be a going benefit for the duration of the war, also i suppose we could send some of these off to the army too if they dont already have a machine gun not sure if that is anything we need to worry about.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2018, 06:33:52 pm »

The airco dh2 was very good at not ever getting into a spin unless the pilot wanted to, so there is that as a boon. Besides, this is early aviation warfare, it's going to be a bit until we get synchronization gears.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2018, 07:14:40 pm »

I don't like the Needletail design. I think designing it for gunning and recon and bombing all at once is going to get a plane which isn't very good at any one of those. Planes of this era which carry bombs need a ton of wing area to provide enough lift for their bomb load, even if it's not a lot of bombs. We should make a plane with a forward-facing gun and no bombs, or maybe a rotating gun turret and bombs. If it does carry bombs it will probably turn slowly. We should also specify how guns will be mounted, a foster mounting is the easiest way.

We also definitely shouldn't be trying to design a machine gun, we'll save time and money by using one the Army gives us. I think the Army is starting to like us too so they should be cooperative.

If we are to go for a fighter/recon combo I like the VRAC A.1, because we can put a swiveling gun in the front of the aircraft with no foster mounts or synchro gears. This would probably be the easiest and deadliest gun mount we can do right now, combing the aimability of a gunner position with the convenience of front-facing guns. At the low speeds of current aircraft this would probably be very effective until aircraft get more maneuverable, and we can get better front mounts then. Unless more people like the Sky Fish I would go for this.

Quote from: VoteBox
Design Plan Alpha:
Design Plan Blade: (1) Jerick
Design Plan C: (Like Blade but with VRAC A.1 instead) (1) Sensei

Remember to vote up people!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:36:59 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2018, 07:25:50 pm »

May as well vote.
Design Plan Alpha:
Design Plan C: (Like Blade but with VRAC A.1 instead) (2) Sensei, Piratejoe

Also, feel it's important to mention that like the FE2b it has the ability to fire behind itself if the observer is fine with standing up. The metal bars are where you move the mg to after all.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:28:52 pm by piratejoe »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2018, 09:52:40 pm »

Design Plan Alpha:
Design Plan C: (Like Blade but with VRAC A.1 instead) (3) Sensei, Piratejoe, Happerry
You know, we could always go for a Pusher Plane sometime if we don't want to have to deal with weird mounting schemes.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2018, 10:12:03 pm »

That's what design plan C is, happerry. 

A two-seater pusher plane, and requesitioning MG's from ground crews.

Maybe someone could rewrite the plan up for the VRAC A.1?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2018, 12:18:42 am »

What machinegun are our ground troops using?

There are a bunch of different types of machineguns in use by the army.

Regarding requisitions, you can add some specifications to them, such as being air-cooled or of a certain caliber or rate of fire. However, adding too many specifications to them may result in failure if the army doesn't have a gun fitting those specifications! Good relations here affect how precisely the army follows your specs - if you're too precise, they'll give you a similar gun instead of straight out saying they don't have what you're looking for.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2018, 12:37:05 am »

I think the specification on the machine gun is something like this

A general-purpose machine gun, so one that shoots rifle calibers or higher but not up to 12.7mm (.50 BMG), and preference on it being air-cooled. As for rate of fire, we want something around the 500-600 range. Maybe they have a gas-operated long stroke gas piston, rotating bolt machine gun but maybe that’s too much

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2018, 02:07:17 am »

Quote from: Machine Gun Requisition
We of the Verusan Sky Crusaders request an automatic rifle, which is:
-First and most of all belt fed, so that it may fire from a box of ammunition continously,
-Air cooled, but with a heavy barrel, so that it will be light in weight and cooled by air moving past the aeroplane to fire all of its ammunition,
-In the service rifle caliber, of something between 7mm and 8mm, so that there will be a balance of power and weight.

All in favor of adapting this to Plan C? I think this is not over-specific and they probably have such a gun. Worst case they only have machine guns in a larger caliber or something, but as long as they are belt fed they should adapt to our planes well. Other loading methods are a no-go for foster mounts but viable for swivel guns, which is what we're going for mainly this turn.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2018, 05:20:54 am »

That's what design plan C is, happerry. 
Oh, oops. Somehow missed that it was a pusher plane.

All in favor of adapting this to Plan C?
Looks good to me.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 58