Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 59966 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Spring 1915, Design Phase
« Reply #570 on: July 14, 2018, 09:23:41 pm »

I vote to refrain from shooting their pilots on the way down as long as they refrain from shooting ours.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:44 pm »

Killing of downed pilots shall only be considered honourable if it's with a sword.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 14, 2018, 09:46:20 pm »

Quote from: Voting on Projects
TAC R.M.3 African Swallow(1): Piratejoe

Shoot down bailed out Pilots (0):
There is no honor in killing the unarmed (3): Piratejoe, Happerry, NAV

Ask Navy for Torpedo (2): eS, Piratejoe
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:47:59 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 15, 2018, 12:35:50 am »

@GM, while we're on the topic of law of war issues... are we signatories to the whole no hollow-point/soft-point agreement on 1899?  JSP/JHP .303 would be brutal against wood and canvas aircraft.

Yes, you are party to that agreement. Although, both countries are pretty out of the way, so you might hope that the great powers close one eye if you do go down that route.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 15, 2018, 12:50:24 am »

I feel like noting we shouldn't make incendiary or HE ammo either considering what Cnidaros said...don't want the great powers to cause us to lose prestige or PP.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:51:58 am by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 15, 2018, 03:09:22 am »

Tracers/Burning Bullets are really really useful though, when all the aircraft are primarily made out of wood.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 15, 2018, 12:45:09 pm »

Yeah they would be, but there is a reason that they never used incendiary against anything that wasn't a zeppelin in ww1.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 15, 2018, 12:48:41 pm »

TAC R.M.3 African Swallow(2): Piratejoe, NAV

--Unless it's with a sword (1): NAV

Ask Navy for Torpedo (3): eS, Piratejoe, NAV
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 15, 2018, 01:55:22 pm »

Yeah they would be, but there is a reason that they never used incendiary against anything that wasn't a zeppelin in ww1.

To piggyback off that .303/7.62 is basically too small a round to carve open and fill with anything too substantial.  Law of War bans doing anything too fancy with anything smaller than 20mm anyways.  With no zeps out there, I don't see a good reason to roll out incendiary .303.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 02:38:56 pm by ConscriptFive »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 15, 2018, 05:07:06 pm »

We probably need more people to vote so...yeah...

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 15, 2018, 05:12:54 pm »

TAC R.M.3 African Swallow(3): Piratejoe, NAV, es

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 15, 2018, 06:21:42 pm »

TAC R.M.3 African Swallow(4): Piratejoe, NAV, es, Happerry

Forenia Forever!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 15, 2018, 11:14:15 pm »

Alright, so I have a couple issues with the plane. First off, if we are making a dedicated fighter and we have a powerful engine to put in it, I think it's time we graduated from biplanes to a low-wing monowing design for better speed and maneuverability. Here's my design:

Verusan F1 European Swallow: The European Swallow is a low-wing monoplane, with dihedral wings for stability. It carries a single pilot, and is powered by a Barnett 1915 engine attached to a four-blade propeller in front. The frame is constructed of hollow metal tubes, of steel or aluminum if it can be found, and the wings and frame are covered in very thin sheets of metal to reduce drag and loss-of-lift to permeability, with large ailerons and additional, adjustable flaps which can give the wings extra lift for takeoff or slow maneuvers. The tail boom frame is uncovered to reduce cost and weight, and terminates in a tail with a rudder and elevator. It also includes landing gear which fold horizontally into an indent under the wings (powered by a long hand lever), and it's armed with one Bolt machinegun in each wing, aimed to cross at 500 meters, and the pilot has a set of sights to aim with. With its low-weight, low-drag design compared to biplanes it is intended to be as fast and maneuverable as possible.

Whichever one we make we WILL need to revise the engine. I'm hopeful that this can give us the edge by being optimized to be much faster than a biplane could hope to be.

TAC R.M.3 African Swallow(4): Piratejoe, NAV, es, Happerry
Verusan F1 European Swallow: (1) Sensei

There is no honor in killing the unarmed (4): Piratejoe, Happerry, NAV, Sensei
--Unless it's with a sword (2): NAV, Sensei

Ask Navy for Torpedo (4): eS, Piratejoe, NAV, Sensei
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:16:17 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 15, 2018, 11:23:06 pm »

...Its 1915! We're still making planes out of wood and canvas! I'm voting for the biplane, we don't have the tech to make a low wing monoplane better yet. Speed mayyyybe, but not maneuverability.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 15, 2018, 11:38:03 pm »

I argue that the only thing stopping us from making a low-wing design is a lack of engine power. The biplane format makes a lot of lift at low speeds, which is why it works well for very weak engines. The downside is all that lift also means more drag so your high speed is going to be... more of a medium speed, at best. If this Barnett engine is enough to get a monowing off the ground, and I think it is, it will go a lot faster than a biplane. Besides, the ARAC does a better-than-terrible job, I think a biplane fighter would be a bit redundant.

The one point of concern might be the metal construction, the rest should be easy. But it's not impossible! The Junker's J1 was made in 1915, and it's an all-metal monoplane, the design of which led to a proper fighter just the next year. With that as an example, I think it should prove that all we need is decent rolls. The J-2 had a 160HP powerplant, so we've already got 25% more power with our Barnett, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Also the Kolechians have a monoplane already. Trying to play catch-up to that with a biplane is a lost cause, I think. Even if we don't leap for metal construction and go wood-and-canvas instead (or metal tube and canvas) I beg you all to consider going for a monoplane design for our next fighter.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:41:18 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 58