Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60068 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Winter 1915, Design Phase
« Reply #345 on: June 19, 2018, 03:05:40 pm »

Hell ya synchro gear!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 19, 2018, 03:17:52 pm »

Yeah, I'd be up for a synch gear design.

Does anyone want to write it? If not I can do it, but I don't want to dominate the designs here like I do in ICAR

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 19, 2018, 03:19:18 pm »

Let's give the navy some love in the islands...

Project: Seadragon

The Seadragon is a two-seater floatplane propelled by a massive V12 water-cooled engine turning a four-bladed propeller in a front-mounted "puller" configuration.  Designed as recon seaplane and naval bomber, the craft is characterized by it's extra-long biplane wings, generating maximum lift for low-speed endurance flying.  The Seadragon further sacrifices agility to add pontoons for landing gear and a heavy inline bomb/torpedo mount under its rear fuselage.  Not-intended for dogfighting, the observer/gunner in the rear inline cockpit is equipped with a trainable pintle mount, covering the rear 180 of the craft.  The observer/gunner cockpit is also extra spacious, to include room for future additional recon or commo equipment.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 19, 2018, 03:27:19 pm »

I feel we should get synchronization gear first before we make any kind of new aircraft. Although a seaplane isn't a bad idea for the future Although as I said with the other bomber it also should have a letter designation like the VRAC does but again, thats just my opinion
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 19, 2018, 03:53:37 pm »

As you wish...

(This and the diagram is literally the Fokker synch gear config.)

Project: Meet the Fokkers

Reports of the so called Fokker Scourge are dominated by tales of Germans firing machine guns safely *through* their own propellers.  A so-called synchronization gear only permits the machine gun to fire semi-automatically the exact moment the propeller is in a safe position.  We believe we can replicate this with our current Bolt machine guns.  A large cam wheel will be placed along the propeller shaft with a irregular bump or tooth on its circumference.  This tooth is manually calibrated under regular maintenance schedules to trigger when the propeller is in the safe horizontal position.  This engages a cam follower leading back to the breach, which pushes the trigger of the gun.  Contrary to popular imagination, the pilot's manual trigger merely unsafeties the breach mechanism, and its actually the cam tooth firing the gun.  The rapidly spinning propeller triggers the semi-auto machine gun fast enough to simulate automatic fire.  The mechanism features an additional manual safety to prevent an aviator from machine-gunning his own airfield on take-off and landing with his fat fingers.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 19, 2018, 03:57:03 pm »

On a side note what should we requisition? I'm thinking about seeing just how heavy and bulky the army's most light weight and compact radios are. Aside from that I can't think of anything they have that we need.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 19, 2018, 04:05:33 pm »

We could name the gear "Crossguard" since our pilots carry swords and it protects the plane from its own weapon.

As for req's, yeah let's get a radio. Might as well see what we're working with.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 19, 2018, 05:19:32 pm »

We could consider requisitioning a basic survival kit so our pilots have a better chance of surviving and making it back home if they're shot down. Especially important since we have an ace worth holding onto now.

Radio is good though, even though it probably won't be suitable it's good to have somewhere to start from.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 19, 2018, 05:19:48 pm »

I'm also in favor of radio.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 19, 2018, 05:37:44 pm »

Requisitioning a radio for future development is probably a good use of our "warm" army relations.  I'd have to research what to write that up as, unless someone else has it.  That would be an ETA of about 18 hours for me.

As for survival gear, apparently we're going to be flying in the mountains this winter.  Leather "bomber" jackets and gloves seem like a great simple revision.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 19, 2018, 06:05:44 pm »

As for survival gear, apparently we're going to be flying in the mountains this winter.  Leather "bomber" jackets and gloves seem like a great simple revision.
Leather jackets and gloves are a must! Definitely add leather pants to that (the legs get cold too), a leather helmet, glass goggles, and a silk scarf (to prevent neck chafing while looking around).

Edit: Silk scarves were also important to wipe off oil or fog on goggle lenses. White silk scarves are important so you can tell what parts of the scarf are clean and dirty so you don't smear more crap on your lenses.

Pockets that button shut are also important for a pilot's uniform. So you can carry stuff and it doesn't fall out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:26:43 pm by NAV »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 19, 2018, 06:23:51 pm »

We should do leather scarfs instead, much warmer and more durable. And leather buttons on the pockets, as well as leather underwear and leather socks.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 19, 2018, 07:05:47 pm »

Jesus NAV, sounds like you want to kill a lot of horses with all that leather.  Seriously though, write it up.  It would be a very timely revision given the time of year.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 19, 2018, 07:48:35 pm »

We should probably just get this out of the way so...

Quote from: Ballot Box
Meet the Fokkers (1): Piratejoe
Seadragon (0):
Salamander Bomber (0):
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 19, 2018, 07:53:01 pm »

Sky Crusader Armour
Winter is coming. Our current lack of specialized aeronaut outfit will give our pilots frostbite. We shall issue them a new uniform, specialized for the often harsh conditions of the sky.

It consists of: A sheepskin jacket with inward facing wool, high collar, snug cuffs and waist, and buttoned pockets. Leather pants, leather boots, leather gloves, and a leather helmet with flaps to protect the ears. Glass goggles to protect their eyes from wind, oil, rain, and other hazards. Finally a white silk scarf to protect the neck from chafing and to clean goggles with.

Suggestions and critique welcome.

(I own a couple ww2 RCAF coats. One is a bomber jacket, it's too small and slightly damaged. I also own a WW2 RCAF women's greatcoat, which must have belonged to a very large woman because it fits my 6 foot 1 inch, 210 pound self perfectly.)

Quote from: Ballot Box
Meet the Fokkers (2): Piratejoe
-Name it "Crossguard" (1): NAV
Seadragon (0):
Salamander Bomber (0):
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58