Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60080 times)

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Late Autumn 1915, Revision Phase
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2018, 10:59:19 am »

Mulling our next project, I've been crushing pretty hard on militaryfactory.com for research.  They have WWI aircraft by type ( https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/ww1-aircraft-index.asp ) and timeline ( https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/ww1-aircraft-timeline.asp ).

In terms of timeline and role, the Short Type 184 seaplane seems like a good pick ( https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=803 ).  It's a seaplane, a torpedo bomber, and an early conventional bomber.  I also love the detail that it had a messenger pigeon cage for reporting its recon as radios were still dodgy as fuck back then.  That's a requisition we should make at least.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Late Autumn 1915, Revision Phase
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2018, 01:24:08 pm »

Design Phase, Early Winter 1915

Squire 4 and Rook 1, 2, 3 have all reached Rookie experience level. There is a new Ace, Alderic, in Squire 2.

In the north, the army generals are furious that the Sky Crusaders have withdrawn all forces. With the support of their balloons and photoreconnaissance, the Kolechians are making great advances toward Demisonne, threatening the supply lines toward Dreidansk. If air cover is not provided, the retreat could become an all-out rout.

In Dreidansk, recent bombing efforts have won you the praise of the generals there, as well as some prestige from correspondents covering the war effort. They will soon be advancing onwards to Estwice but are worried about the threat to their supply lines from Demisonne. Opinion is split as to whether to push onwards or invest more in the defensive lines around Demisonne. In any case, the planners estimate Estwice could be reached in the coming months if the current rate of advance is maintained.

On Okinso, the army and navy are appreciative of the squadrons deployed there. They do request that the planes there be given cameras and diverted to support the Mizogorod offensive, which should be reaching the city in three or four months’ time.

High command has increased your budget by 3 PP, as the country devotes more factories to war.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:33:13 pm by Cnidaros »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Winter 1915, Design Phase
« Reply #332 on: June 19, 2018, 02:06:01 pm »

Why do we still have the completely obsolete Vodak camera and 5.2 shell available for purchase?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 19, 2018, 02:12:44 pm »

Well, I knew it. The generals in the north are pissed... Anyway, I am very excited over our new ace and I think we should either make a design for Synchronization gear or just spend all our dice on revisions. Here are three ideas for revisions, by the way.

VRAC A.1b Variant The b Variant of the Emu is similar to the normal VRAC with only a single thing about the aircraft changed, its engine. By replacing its old current engine with a newer, more powerful one the aircraft can not only achieve higher speeds and altitudes but also allow for the aircraft to carry more weight which will allow it to be more effective in both fighting any enemy aircraft and in bombing enemy locations. Despite suggestions to the contrary, the b Variant is to remain being called the Emu, instead of the Ostrich. The reason for this is simply that the aircraft just has a more powerful engine and in all other regards the aircraft is unchanged.

VRAC Manufacturing Plan The VRAC Manufacturing plan is simply the Verusa Royal Aviation Company making production of their first aircraft much easier, paying for the legal fees to fight against the Verusan Association of Artisanal Woodcarvers, and simply replacing the encrusted sheaths with sturdy, but much cheaper ones. They also will attempt to have oversight over the people working on actually making the aircraft cheaper so no one sabotages the work on making it not cost an arm and a leg to make just because they really like the fancy additions.

Bar's Shelf Bomb Rack The Bar's Shelf Bomb Rack, or BSBR is simply a device designed to be attached to the wings or underbelly of our aircraft and carry Mk.1 "Bottled Fury" Bombs. Naturally, these would be useless if it wasn't for the amazing addition of a release which allows the Bar Shelf to release the bomb its holding away to ram into the ground where it will explode violently on our enemy's poor heads. All in all, its a simple and effective bit of equipment that has been specially designed to be easy to affix onto aircraft.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 19, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »

Ok, question for the GM.  Does the design have to be an aircraft?  Or can it be a difficult piece of hardware (synch gear or airborne radios)?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 19, 2018, 02:25:55 pm »

The generals to the north have learned a valuable lesson in how important air support is.  I am happy to learn they will have a greater appreciation for our contribution in the future.

In other news, I'd want to start a new project this turn.

Either a bomber: a two-engine variant for more strategic bombing

Or a better fighter: a three-wing design for better lift and mobility, and a synch gear.

Or lastly, JUST a synch gear, which we can refit onto all our Rhino's.

We should, as PJ mentioned, probably spend a revision improving the bomb mounts and cheapening the Emu.  Again.  For the third time.  The last die could be for fixing our design this turn.

Cnid, what does Alderic look like? What is his/her full name?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 19, 2018, 02:31:35 pm »

Quote from: Salamander Bomber
The Salamander Bomber is based on the Emu but has a much larger wingspan. These wings are heavily reinforced and mount two powerful rotary engines. Since these engines are not mounted in the nose of the aircraft they can be placed in the more efficient puller configuration and it retains the co pilot placement of the machine guns. Unlike the Emu the salamander is not decorated beyond simple paint. I will say that again for the engineers; the salamander is not decorated. What the Salamander does have is bomb racks designed to mount and drop bottled fury bombs attached to the wings. The co pilot seat has control over these racks and has a view finder scope built into the floor to assist in accurate dropping of ordinance from even high altitudes. The design itself is aimed to have a considerably greater bomb load than an Emu and sacrifices in terms of maneuverability is acceptable to achieve this.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 19, 2018, 02:32:58 pm »

Why do we still have the completely obsolete Vodak camera and 5.2 shell available for purchase?

In case you ever want to start a History of the Verusan Sky Crusaders Museum, for that extra prestige.

Ok, question for the GM.  Does the design have to be an aircraft?  Or can it be a difficult piece of hardware (synch gear or airborne radios)?

It doesn't have to be an aircraft, synch gear, airborne radios, good bombs, etc. would all be under a design.

Cnid, what does Alderic look like? What is his/her full name?

He's a guy with black eyes and brown hair. As for his full name ... let's go with Alderic Duvalle.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 19, 2018, 02:34:55 pm »

We probably shouldn't make a bomber considering I think the VRAC can easily be made into a fighter bomber, again its based off of the FE2, although the VRAC clearly doesn't have a 517 lb max bomb load, and probably wont in the future either. Anyway, if we make a full aircraft it should be just a Biplane, as we don't really have experience with triplanes, and even if they are extremely maneuverable they aren't fast.

Also, Alderic is a old english name from what I know, and a male one at that. 

Edit, Ninja'd. Also, Salamander should probably have a proper rear gunner seeing how it has two engines. It also should have a letter designation like the VRAC does but thats just my opinion
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 02:37:23 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 19, 2018, 02:41:50 pm »

Whoops, by design, I meant project.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 19, 2018, 02:50:43 pm »

Well, triplanes will be obsolete in about half a decade or so I admit, but maneuverability is pretty important for low-altitude protracted dogfights.  And three turns into the game I'd argue that "we don't have experience with it" is not a great arguement.

Personally, I might be leaning towards starting a good bomber design to replace the Emu three or four turns from now.

@Cnid: black eyes? What, is this guy the Outsider from Dishonored?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 19, 2018, 02:56:18 pm »

ALso with the time scale of turns, 5 years is looong into the game so triplanes will be relevant for a good long while. Also triplane is not a big step up from biplane in terms of engineering.

I think we should get the emu actually viable and in the field before starting a new plane.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2018, 03:00:05 pm »

Well, if we start a design this turn, we get the initial progress.  We can continue that progress next turn.

Besides, we have 6 dice this turn.  Surely we don't have 6 revisions we need to do; we should start a project on something and put those dice to good use. 

Also:
@Cnid: I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe Alderic hasn't earned a KoF medal, which must be the case because you didn't mention him earning one.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 19, 2018, 03:02:02 pm »

@Cnid: black eyes? What, is this guy the Outsider from Dishonored?

It's actually a very dark brown, but he had it listed as black on his files to appear special.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 19, 2018, 03:02:28 pm »

In that case, let's work on synchronization gear. It'll be a major important thing and doing it before making a new aircraft seems wise unless we want an Airco D.H.2
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58