Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 54569 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Late Winter 1915, Design Phase
« Reply #420 on: July 01, 2018, 01:07:11 pm »

I should also mention that the little reports each side gets, with the general's suggestions/whining/etc. isn't meant to be a blueprint for what to do in the deployment phase. They don't offer bad advice, but just not the absolute best course of action for the current situation (which depends on enemy deployments anyway).
I'm telling you, we should abandon the centre in favour of the north and south, especially the north. Demisonne is the key!

Anywhey, obviously we finish the EFM this turn. If we do no other designs, then the reduced maintenance on our current EFM would mean we could afford to buy two new EFM squadrons (or rather, equip two existing squadrons with EFMs and hand their Feathers to neophytes). However, it may be better to buy only one, since we have other things we could spend PP on that might have a bigger effect. Like starting a new design (a bomber, perhaps), and buying some more Hykibs for the navy.
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 01, 2018, 01:18:29 pm »

Anywhey, obviously we finish the EFM this turn. If we do no other designs, then the reduced maintenance on our current EFM would mean we could afford to buy two new EFM squadrons (or rather, equip two existing squadrons with EFMs and hand their Feathers to neophytes). However, it may be better to buy only one, since we have other things we could spend PP on that might have a bigger effect. Like starting a new design (a bomber, perhaps), and buying some more Hykibs for the navy.
More balloons is tempting, since they're cheap (relative to a fighter) and almost force the Verusas to spread themselves thin to counter them.

I wish we had some intel on EFM vs Emu. If we don't do a design this turn, we can revise better engines, to allow limited armoring, and try to make the guns better. Just trying to perfect a light fighter when that's all we have is a bit boring, though.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 01:38:37 pm by Nirur Torir »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 01, 2018, 02:14:47 pm »

Anyway, let's see.

The enemy has :

2 EMU's
5 Rhino's
3 Sky Eye

We have :

1 Equilibrium
5 Feathers
3 Hykib

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 01, 2018, 02:22:13 pm »

Personally leaning towards making a bomber.
Here's my quickly-made suggestion. Feel free to cannibalize it for your own suggestions.

Prospect Scout-Bomber
Compared to the Equilibrium, the Prospect is a larger and clumsier plane, but that's intentional due to its differing role. The Prospect is a 2 seater monoplane aircraft intended to fulfill roles that are not air superiority, primarily bombing and reconnaissance.

The pilot is situated in the front seat, they have access to a forwards facing Type 11 LMG with a synchronization gear to allow it to fire through the propeller. The rear seat is on a swivel, allowing its occupant to comfortably observe to the rear and sides easily. There is also a twin mounted Type 11 setup here, allowing this occupant to fend off attacking aircraft from the sides and rear. This rear seat also has access to some storage space, allowing them to carry things ranging from more bullets or whatever they wish.

The Prospect also has mountings on its underside, meant to accommodate bombs; the controls of which are available to both the pilot and the observer/gunner.

Also also, we have Pyrotechnics experience. Incendiary rounds, anyone? We're still using wood, are we not?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 01, 2018, 02:24:24 pm »

For the event, we only really have the EFM and flares. Is there anything else we can revise that's not just copying their mounted cameras or improvised bombing bays? The Ottomans probably already have parachutes.

Also also, we have Pyrotechnics experience. Incendiary rounds, anyone? We're still using wood, are we not?
Is it too early to firebomb enemy troops?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 01, 2018, 03:00:13 pm »

Tracer rounds
Aviation goggles
Pontoons.
Stuff like that.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 01, 2018, 04:00:28 pm »

I was just thinking about tracer rounds. Even if they have no incendiary effect, allowing our pilots to see where their shots are going should make them way more accurate.

Anyway, I think we've got plenty of things to be spending PP on without starting a new design, as well as multiple revisions. That said, I like the Prospect and would back it next turn.

Also, something else to mention: Wikipedia (Early Systems p4) says two-way voice radio was available six months ago. We should be able to get our own in place fairly easily.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 01, 2018, 06:32:36 pm »

I suggest making the new bomber a twin-engine Rotary 9 cylinder.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 01, 2018, 06:42:15 pm »

More EFMs would be a godsend. And we only need one more die put towards it too. Meaning we'll have a lot of dice to throw at revisions.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 01, 2018, 06:51:48 pm »

Hmmm, one thing I want to revise is a signalling plan for the army. Something that our recon planes can basically fly over an area and flaregun if they see something big.

Hm. We could also revise our feathers to use the synchro gear maybe. :3

Note: apparently, the ultimate synchronization gear step is the electric solenoid, so we could maybe push towards it once solenoids are reliable.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 06:54:19 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 01, 2018, 06:53:55 pm »

We'd have to refit our feathers to mount the synch gear, and I'd rather we work on the quality of those gears first.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 01, 2018, 06:57:04 pm »

I added a note regarding the nature of the more advanced synchro gears, it being electrically driven with a solenoid. But yes, we can continue to improve them. I do want to rotate the crimson eagles back in, for the record.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 01, 2018, 06:59:03 pm »

@cnidaros, would it be a lot of rework to attach the synchro gears to the Feathers?

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 01, 2018, 09:51:05 pm »

If we are makeing a scout/bomber i think we should fo with a bi-wing design to five it better lift. additionally we should include some sort of camera mount that can double as a bomb sight for "high altitude" bombing.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 01, 2018, 11:15:54 pm »

If we are makeing a scout/bomber i think we should fo with a bi-wing design to five it better lift. additionally we should include some sort of camera mount that can double as a bomb sight for "high altitude" bombing.
I think we should hold strong on the single-wing plane method, but I agree on the bomb sight. Have a lens in the bottom of the plane pointing ahead of the flight path that let's our men aim their bombs.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 57