Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 54570 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2018, 03:31:20 pm »

Of note, a V10 would be a radically different kind of engine to the one we have. I think a 9-cylinder rotary engine would be easier, and have a better thrust-weight ratio.
Thank you for reminding me that V indicates engine shape. I will edit.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2018, 03:32:20 pm »

Starting a project only takes 3 dice.
I'd intended it for progress, hoping for a prototype, but re-reading the rules, that's not possible in this one.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2018, 03:38:34 pm »

Of note, a V10 would be a radically different kind of engine to the one we have. I think a 9-cylinder rotary engine would be easier, and have a better thrust-weight ratio.
I see that you've edited it to a 10-cylinder rotary engine. Rotary (and radial) engines require an odd number of cylinders.
Long Live United Forenia!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2018, 03:41:17 pm »

I see that you've edited it to a 10-cylinder rotary engine. Rotary (and radial) engines require an odd number of cylinders.
Added to 11-cylinder.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2018, 04:07:33 pm »

What are people's thoughts on the Eagle vs the Wacky Squirrel?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2018, 04:22:09 pm »

Yeah let's not upgrade from 5-cylinder to 11-cylinder in a single project please.

Anyways. We have "basic monoplane design" listed in tech; and that's at the same level of experience as biplanes. Since we're tentatively aiming for a fighter here we should pre-emptively invest in monoplanes. The Feather already has great stability and it seems like that isn't inherently tied to the fact that it's a biplane.
I mean, the Feather being a biplane definitely helps its stability, but it looks like we just have a stable plane made even more stable by it being a biplane, so we can use that stableness in our monoplane to make up for the primitiveness of the tech for now. The sooner we start on monoplanes, the sooner we get good monoplanes.

So. Here's this.
Protector
The Protector is a two-seater monoplane, using our experience with stability and now agility to create something worthy of aerial combat. Not too worthy, but the official notes released to the rest of the military will emphasize its worthiness.

In addition to its monoplane structure, it differs from the Feather in a number of other ways. Such as its 7-cylinder rotary engine, upgraded from the Feather's 5-cylinder to work with the increased weight while increasing/maintaing speed. The monoplane structure should give it enhanced agility.
The pilot is to focus on the flying. Behind them, in a raised seat, sits the gunner with a Foster-mounted machine gun requisitioned from the military (with the requisition's reasoning being that if the Army doesn't want to be shelled to hell, they gotta give us a way to shoot down enemy observation balloons). The gunner, of course, mans the gun. But in non-combat roles they're the ones given supplies such as LVOC cameras to eliminate the difficulty of multitasking camera operation and flying seen in the Feather's recon missions.
A (very) small cargo stache is included accessable by the gunner for storage of ammo, reconnaisance supplies, and -- when we eventually requisition it -- artillery shells (for dropping down on the enemy), and anything else that may be needed.
Red highlights cover the plane, with the PAF's logo emblazoned on its sides and wings, to inspire the troops on the ground and fellow nearby pilots.

3 Dice - Protector [Design Creation] (1): Chiefwaffles
2 Dice w/ 2 PP - Hykib [Project Progression] (1): Chiefwaffles
(Ebbor's pseudo-votes not counted because they're not votes for actual proposals, just votes for theoretical ones)
We get our fighter project started, and have a good chance of prototype/finishing the Hykib for deployment this turn.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2018, 05:25:39 pm »

Hmm. Yeah, monoplanes are the future, although a foster mount on a monoplane is a bit inefficient, due to the need for a raised platform (a need that biplanes very conveniently fulfill with their second wing); but should be doable. Simpler than designing the mechanisms needed to properly fire through the propeller, at least.

Still now, the Protector... I feel it tries to do too much? I mean, it fills out a lot of roles; but it'll likely perform none particularly well. Still, that early multi-role capability could be nice, but we'll want a proper dedicated fighter soonish. Maybe not as our first plane (as it'd almost certainly not have a very good lifespan at all), but soonish. Pretty much I'm not really for or against the Protector.

Also also, don't forget to requisition the LMG people. (Or something.)

Quote from: Votebox
3 Dice - Protector [Design Creation] (1): Chiefwaffles
2 Dice w/ 2 PP - Hykib [Project Progression] (2): Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla
Quote from: Requisition
Ask the army for an air-cooled LMG for use in our aircraft. (1) Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2018, 05:29:47 pm »

Well it’s intended as a fighter. It’s just that our tech isn’t good enough to make a dedicated fighter yet, and the extra roles don’t hurt anything.
Unless there’s anything I can change to make it more focused on the fighter aspect without increasing technological requirements?
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2018, 10:18:02 pm »

A Foster mount works better on a biplane. For that reason alone I'd add the second wing.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2018, 11:04:25 pm »

Rather than mounting the machine gun on a foster mount, why not stick it at the rear so that the pilot can focus on flying and the gunner/cameraman ensures the fihter is defended?

Or else just bit the bullet and try to develop a functioning gun synchronisation gear.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2018, 11:24:43 pm »

Yeaah. Was nervous about the foster mount on a biplane. I mentioned this already, but the Feather is the result of "basic biplane" expertise. So using what we have from the Feather (extra stability not necessarily connected to its biplane nature), our "basic monoplane" expertise, and tech like the ailerons, we could make a plane with a low enough "base challenge" that it'd be reasonable to add synchronization blades on the end. As long as we don't add anything else fancy.

Better ideas for names appreciated.
Equilibrium Fighter
It turns out that our former general's business deals to buy crappy planes GLORIOUS STRONK FEATHERS had the sellers also including some notes on monoplane construction. We found this out in a perfectly innocent way, and not through raiding the general's confiscated cigar stache.
So, with some basic application of our manueverability tech (ailerons, elevators, etc.), the good parts of the Feather, like its stability, we can make a functioning monoplane without much of a struggle. It won't be as stable as the Feather, sure, but we're still fairly confident it'll be stable. Just not very stable. Pure stability isn't our goal here anyways.
The engine remains the same -- a 5-cylinder rotary engine -- to skip some extra difficulties in upgrading it. Besides, the Equilibrium should be lighter than the Feather as it still uses wooden construction and has half (1/2) the wings!

The real innovation is at the front of the cockpit. An air-cooled LMG, to be simueltaneously requisitioned from the military (on grounds of "hey guys, like not being shelled to death? Let us shoot down their observation balloons with your guns!"), is put at the hands of the pilot. This was at first dismissed due to the obvious flaw of the bullets hitting the propeller and breaking the plane's only source of propulsion. However, with some clever synchronization gearing, we can largely dismiss this problem by "simply" modifying the LMG to fire in such a pattern that the bullets will nearly always pass through gaps in the running propellers; allowing for effective front-firing LMGs through the propeller!

The applications are obvious, and put to work in the Equilibrium. But, uh, we should probably reinforce the propeller just a tad so that the occasional misfire isn't an automatic death guarantee for the promise of flight.

TL;DR: Make a basic 1-seater monoplane using everything good(/that we know) from the Feather, then add a LMG with basic synchronization gears to the front for a fighter. Will be less (not necessarily un)stable, but should be faster and more agile and with the ability to shoot down enemy planes and balloons. And maybe strafing runs, if our pilots are feeling particularly bold.

3 Dice - Equilibrium [Design Creation] (1): Chiefwaffles
Ask the army for an air-cooled LMG for use in our aircraft (2): Jilladilla, Chiefwaffles

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2018, 11:43:37 pm »

IF we want a foster mount on a monoplane, we could also go for a parasol wing.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2018, 12:27:07 am »

Like this, but not painted a glorious red.

They're using a hot air balloon?

Yes, that was what I said in the battle report.

@GM, what kinds of anti-tank rifles and machineguns do we have available to requisition?

EDIT: my main goal for the Wacky Squirrel is to develop a heavier airframe with two seats and V10 engine. Airframe development is more important than fighter guns right now.

There are no anti-tank rifles, mainly because mentioning the idea of a tracked, armoured vehicle capable of crossing no-man's-land gets you laughed out of the room. There are a variety of machine-gun types in use by the army, but to find out more about them, you're going to have to submit a requisition and the army will return what suitable types of machinegun it has.

Regarding requisitions, you can add some specifications to them, such as being air-cooled or of a certain caliber or rate of fire. However, adding too many specifications to them may result in failure if the army doesn't have a gun fitting those specifications! Good relations here affect how precisely the army follows your specs - if you're too precise, they'll give you a similar gun instead of straight out saying they don't have what you're looking for.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2018, 12:59:54 am »

The first tank made its debut on the battlefield on September 15, 1916. We're close, but not quite there yet.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2018, 01:58:06 am »

3 Dice - 1915-Eagle Fighting Biplane (1): Kashyyk
3 Dice - Equilibrium [Design Creation] (1): Chiefwaffles
Ask the army for an air-cooled LMG for use in our aircraft (3): Jilladilla, Chiefwaffles, Kashyyk

I'm voting the Eagle because I'm biased I don't think we can successfully requisition an LMG, alter it for sync firing, and build a fancy new monoplane without a long progress time. The eagle is simpler which will get us a fighter in the air sooner. Important for prestige, trashing their balloons and defending our own planes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 57