Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 54534 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2018, 07:28:20 am »

So we can solve this problem if we have the spare storage of the "Equality" in a place accessible for both bombs and ammo, somewhere around the second seat will be fine, but it limit our bomb size so you can carry them in one hand.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2018, 12:13:48 pm »

Design Phase, Late Summer 1915

A Kolechian pilot demonstrates a barrel roll as part of a recruitment drive for pilots. The crowd is amazed and enthralled by his red cape fluttering in the wind, and several young men and women sign up on the spot.

The army generals commanding on the northern front are excited about the gains made as a result of better intelligence, while the generals in the central plains request for some way to disable the enemy balloons.

High command has increased your budget by 2 PP, as the country devotes more factories to war.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2018, 12:20:02 pm »

Tentatively, I think we should give our new plane basic combat abilities. A MG mount set higher than the propellers would work for low, allowing easy disabling of balloons and prestige/effectiveness from taking down enemy planes.
We should try getting our balloons to deployment though. Their glorious red shall inspire the troops!
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2018, 12:44:10 pm »

What shape is the enemy balloon?

Anyway, yeah, two dice to the Hykib, gives us a chance of finishing it, and a good chance of getting a prototype. Three dice to start a new design. Either a Foster mount fighter (in which case we requisition a LMG) or a light bomber (in which case we requisition artillery shells).
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2018, 01:04:38 pm »

Since they've already pushed out balloons, I would back a dedicated fighter. Our planes could potentially strafe enemy trenches if it comes to it as well.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2018, 01:06:08 pm »

What shape is the enemy balloon?

Like this, but not painted a glorious red.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2018, 01:43:20 pm »

Joining, up, fighter me.

EDIT:

The Wacky Squirrel

A designated fighter, the Wacky Squirrel is designed to take down observation balloons. Utilizing a machine gun requisitioned from the army, this plane is based on the Feather, utilizing the new aileron technology and beefed up to fit two occupants while maintaining maneuverability. This necessitated a motor upgrade, moving to a 11-cyliner rotary engine. The plane's primary gun is mounted above the propellor, and while this does limit the pilot's field of view, the second occupant can take over spotting duties, armed with a binocular. If there is enough room, there is a storage compartment build back by the second pilot to store extra gear, or maybe even grenades. The design priority for this project is the upgraded engine and new airframe with two seats.

Please suggest names.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:41:01 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2018, 02:08:15 pm »

Anyway, here's my guess as to the enemy's deployment, costs and stuff like that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemy Budget last Turn (click to show/hide)

Conclusions :
      - Barnson must be cheap. It's cost has to be below 1. Hell, it may even be free.
      - The balloon's maximum cost is 4 (if Barnson's free).

Like this, but not painted a glorious red.

They're using a hot air balloon?

Since they've already pushed out balloons, I would back a dedicated fighter. Our planes could potentially strafe enemy trenches if it comes to it as well.

I'm going to suggest not developing a fighter this turn. Controversial thought, I know, but consider this:

Spoiler: Budget (click to show/hide)

We've already got 7 out of our 10 PP accounted for.  If we start a fighter program, we'll be spending 8 out of 10 PP, which means there's no chance at all that we can get a counter to their balloon out before they do mass deployment of their balloon (Because a fighter is not going to cost just 2 PP). We also stand a very good chance of not finishing our balloon if we only spend 2 dice on it, which means we only get the prototype. 

Here's my proposal :

-Design : Nothing
-Projects : Finish Hykib (3 Dice)
-Requisition : Machine gun
-Revision : Cheaper Hydrogen Generator
-Revision :  Some gun mounting solution or a rope with a hook, letting our pilots go balloon fishing
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:28:41 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2018, 02:25:53 pm »

Quote from: Eagle-1915 Fighting Biplane
The same general shape as the Feather but much larger, this is a one seater biplane, with a key difference. Instead of a front mounted tractor propeller, the engine is seated behind the pilot with the propellor protruding backwards in a pusher configuration . This means a front mounted LMG can be used without risking damage to the propellers. The engine is a 9-cylinder rotary and the plane is designed with ailerons in mind, meaning our plane should be both faster and more maneuverable than anything deployed by the enemy.

Quote from: Requisition
Ask the army for an air-cooled LMG for use in the Eagle.

We've actually got 12PP Ebbor, so we should be fine.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2018, 02:30:34 pm »

We've actually got 12PP Ebbor, so we should be fine.
Oh neat.

In that case, let me adjust my argument.

Our odds of developing a functional fighter in a single action are very slim. Even reaching the prototype phase is unlikely. Meanwhile, the enemy is already ready to deploy their balloon, and will likely be capable of mass deployment this turn. Do we risk both being unable to deploy our balloon, and not having a solution to theirs?

I propose :

3 Dice to balloon
1 Dice to a machine gun mount
1 dice saved.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 02:35:37 pm by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2018, 02:43:26 pm »

Counterpoint, it doesn't matter if we don't manage to match their balloons. So long as we get our own prototype out, we'll show the army that we're working on the issue- and they will hopefully see that our balloon is superior to theirs. The fact that they will outnumber us doesn't matter for the purposes of prestige or army opinion.

Meanwhile, getting a better plane out there is something we want to start working on ASAP. Balloons are a good stopgap, but planes are where the real action is.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2018, 02:49:39 pm »

@GM, what kinds of anti-tank rifles and machineguns do we have available to requisition?

EDIT: my main goal for the Wacky Squirrel is to develop a heavier airframe with two seats and V10 engine. Airframe development is more important than fighter guns right now.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:00:03 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2018, 03:06:22 pm »

Of note, a V10 would be a radically different kind of engine to the one we have. I think a 9-cylinder rotary engine would be easier, and have a better thrust-weight ratio.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2018, 03:13:59 pm »

EDIT: my main goal for the Wacky Squirrel is to develop a heavier airframe with two seats and V10 engine. Airframe development is more important than fighter guns right now.
If we do 4 dice the a new aircraft and 1 for the balloon, we have fair odds of not getting anything done this turn. I'm not thrilled with the balloon, because it's kinda boring dead-end thing, but now that we've started it, I want it finished.

If we do the balloon and the gun mount revision, we have good odds of getting two things done this turn.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2018, 03:28:14 pm »

Starting a project only takes 3 dice.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 57