Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 57

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 54595 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Hm. I'm feeling some Bomber revisions. Honestly, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Engine Optimization

The Levib shows great promise as a bomber, but it could use some reliability improvements. First on the list is the engines. The spread out placement of the engines has resulted in poor fuel line performance. We will implement an improvement on the current fuel pump to the two engines, ensuring that the pilot can control the flow to each engine efficiently (can increase, decrease, cut off flow as needed) and that the pumps themselves can operate independently of the engines. The fuel line routing is the second part of this: the lines themselves are to be encased in rubber, and run tightly right through the wings into the motors.

Much Ado About Air

The engineers have been complaining about this silly 'drag' thing, saying it's slowing down the bomber. Kolechia has no time for slow bombers! The engineering team will examine the current engine cowling and attachment point design and model improved designs for testing in the wind tunnel. Something smooth and curved should move through the air fairly quickly, yes?

Edit: I would also support a dog bite revision.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:44:04 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is also revising the radio kit to somthing we could mount on the feather i am thinking we can just remove the reciver since the radio onlt has a 2 km range the army can use signal flags to comunicate with the spotter.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

We need to spend a few revisions to improve our fighters.

I mean, consider this bit from the update :

The air battle over Basselton sees the matchup both sides have been anticipating – the KPAF’s Equilibrium Fighter Monoplane against the Sky Crusader’s VRAC A.1 “Emu”. In terms of pure performance, the Equilibrium is superior, being about equal in manoeuvrability to the Emu and faster too (although not as much as hoped, given the Emu’s powerful engine). In terms of combat however, it’s a lot more complex. The Equilibrium looks like it should have the advantage of better gunnery, with its synchronised Type 11 LMG allowing the pilot to sight directly ahead using the entire plane. However, the fact that a separate observer mans the guns on the Emu means that he can focus entirely on shooting and traverse his fire more swiftly than the Equilibrium while the Emu pilot focuses on dodging. Furthermore, the Emu turns out to have one thing it’s actually superior to the Equilibrium in – it can climb faster, giving it an advantage that grows as the engagement continues, albeit one that makes its rearward gun less useful. If an Equilibrium pilot fails to shoot down the Emu on his first or second pass, he becomes very vulnerable as the dogfight devolves into a turning contest, where the Emu with a large field of fire has a significant advantage over the fixed guns of an Equilibrium.

The outcome of the air duels between the EFM and Emu this month goes in favour of the EFM, for two or three reasons. Firstly, the KPAF have introduced tracer ammunition to the Type 11 LMGs, improving their pilots’ accuracy. Combined with the experience mismatch (EFM pilots have had several month’s longer service, albeit in Feathers, than the Emu crews), this means that EFM pilots have the gunnery advantage. Finally, the contest is not solely between EFM and Emu – the KPAF has an additional squadron of Feathers on air superiority duty too. While these Feathers would be butchered if up against the Emus alone, Kolechian pilots are well coordinated, exploiting their superiority in numbers to the fullest. Piotr, the Kolechian Equilibrium Ace, adds a few more marks to his tally of enemies downed.

We won because we had more experienced pilots, tracer ammo and support. Those are not things we can always count on to have, so I'd like to improve our plane before we deploy many of them.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you think needs improvement?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We could soup up the engine, perhaps. Add a few extra horsepower to gain a greater speed advantage.
Long Live United Forenia!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are we talking additional cylinders or do you want to try and improve compression?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

That's one thing.

The Emu is significantly larger than our plane. It's a bit embarrassing that it's performance is so similar. It should be worse.  I mean, I know it's a biplane (and thus great at turning), but it shouldn't have a climbing advantage.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's one thing.

The Emu is significantly larger than our plane. It's a bit embarrassing that it's performance is so similar. It should be worse.  I mean, I know it's a biplane (and thus great at turning), but it shouldn't have a climbing advantage.
Well, honestly, they put a bigger engine in. I would back going up at least 2-4 cylinders.

Equilibrium Manuverability Upgrade

We underpowered the Equilibrium, plain and simple. This is shown by the Emu showing comparable flight characteristics, while being a much heavier plane. So, let's fix the issue. By moving to a 9-cylinder rotary engine with hardened pistons and a strengthened camshaft, an increase in not only straight horsepower but also in compression ratio can be achieved. The engine block will likely have to be reinforced, but we will monitor the design to ensure we don't go over weight - the improved cylinder count takes precedence over the the improved compression ratio.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:14:13 pm by Doomblade187 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that seems reasonable. We could do that and the fuel line one, perhaps.

Although, I do worry that it might increase the cost of the Equilibrium, which would render us unable to buy two and pay for all upkeep. But I think it's worth the risk.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that seems reasonable. We could do that and the fuel line one, perhaps.

Although, I do worry that it might increase the cost of the Equilibrium, which would render us unable to buy two and pay for all upkeep. But I think it's worth the risk.
I figure it will require a 1pp upgrade cost on all new squadrons, but if it makes them more viable, it's worth it.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

According to Wikipedia the first armed fokkers used 80hp 7 cylinder rotary engine. I dunno how much horsepower the EFM has, but it is using a 7 cylinder rotary. The major production variant used a 100hp 9 cylinder rotary, so that might be what we should upgrade to.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

In addition, the manufacturing details of tracer rounds are turned over to both the Army and the Navy. While the navy doesn’t see much use for them currently,

Come now Navy; you were just bombed, yes it was ineffective, but here comes your own airforce, asking for a torpedo. The weapon that allows even the smallest of patrol boats to threaten the mightiest battleship. Surely you have realized what this might mean for your future?

Anyway, improving the Levib can be a next turn thing; would rather improve our stuff we can field now, and I'm definitely on board with an Equilibrium engine tune-up.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, if only to get things moving, have a votebox:

Quote from: Votebox
(Levib) Engine Optimisation: (1) NUKE9.13
Equilibrium Manuverability Upgrade: (1) NUKE9.13

I will say that both of those revisions are pretty poorly named. I think they should be named "Levib Fuel Line Fix" and "Equilibrium Engine Upgrade", or something like that. Since the first is not really changing the engines, and the second is not really bolstering manoeuvrability (except indirectly by improving the engine).

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am unfortunately not very good about this naming thing.

(Levib) Engine Optimisation: (2) NUKE9.13, Doomblade
Equilibrium Manuverability Upgrade: (2) NUKE9.13, Doomblade

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Let's do the thing.

(Levib) Engine Optimisation: (3) NUKE9.13, Doomblade, Kashyyk
Equilibrium Manuverability Upgrade: (3) NUKE9.13, Doomblade, Kashyyk
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 57