Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 54593 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2018, 08:22:32 am »

Hmm, hmm. I agree that we aren't exactly flush with resources, but the temptation to send some forces south is strong- we could tip the balance and be responsible for a major victory there.
...well, I suppose we shouldn't get over-ambitious.

Of the two plans presented, I prefer the Derboise one, since capturing Derboise would let our forces attack Demisonne from another angle, whereas victory on the Demisonne road wouldn't get us into the city, and even if it did, it'd be surrounded by enemy forces (although, it would cut Derboise off from supplies...).

Quote from: Botevox
Plan Derboise: (2) Kashyyk, NUKE9.13
Plan Koldan River:
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2018, 06:10:49 pm »

Plan Derboise: (3) Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Nirur
Plan Koldan River:

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2018, 06:18:40 pm »

Plan Derboise: (4) Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Nirur, Rockeater
Plan Koldan River:
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:33 pm »

Dissenting opinion, since nobody really cares:

If they managed to prototype a new fighter chassis, they're going to wipe ours out of the sky along one front. I don't think there are good odds on that. but we only have a sample size of 1 for how long new designs take.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2018, 06:30:32 pm »

Maybe, but that'd imply they worked on a fighter chassis last turn, which given their balloon is unlikely. Unless it's a very basic fighter.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2018, 06:37:13 pm »

Or they kept the balloon at prototype, also unlikly given it effectivness.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2018, 01:46:46 am »

Quote from: Deployment Plan Derboise
Squadron 1 | Feather-1914-NA Scout Plane | Lvoc Camera | Aerial Reconnaissance | Neophyte | No Aces | Maintenance Cost 1
Currently assigned to photograph enemy frontline along the Jawanin-Derboise Road

Squadron 2 | Feather-1914 Scout Plane | Lvoc Camera, Type 11 machinegun | Aerial Reconnaissance | Neophyte | No Aces | Maintenance Cost 1
Air Superiority duty along the Jawanin-Derboise Road

Squadron 3 | Feather-1914 Scout Plane | Lvoc Camera, Type 11 machinegun | Aerial Reconnaissance | Neophyte | No Aces | Maintenance Cost 1
Recon/anti balloon duty along the Demisonne-Dreidansk Road

Observer 1  | Hybik Observation Balloon| No equipment| Artillery Spotting | Neophyte | No Aces | Maintenance Cost 1
Artillery  Spotting along the Jawanin-Derboise Road

Observer 2  | Hybik Observation Balloon| No equipment| Artillery Spotting | Neophyte | No Aces | Maintenance Cost 1
Artillery  Spotting along the Jawanin-Derboise Road

This plan focuses on pushing towards Derboise (in the Northern Mountains).

It looks like there's agreement on this plan, so it's locked in. Expect the battle report tomorrow.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2018, 02:21:19 pm »

Design Phase, Early Autumn 1915

Squadron 2 of Feather-1914s at Derboise is now at Rookie experience level.

The army generals on the northern front are happy that they now have balloon assistance in artillery spotting. In the upcoming turn, they plan to mount an assault to capture Derboise, and suggest you deploy your forces to support this assault as much as possible.

At the central front, the army generals there are extremely unhappy about the fact that the Verusan balloons continue to operate unmolested, and in fact have increased in numbers. They demand more effort is put into shooting these balloons down.

Some air force recruiters think that dedicating a squadron of planes to be the official acrobatic squadron of the KPAF could be an effective way of increasing prestige and selling war bonds, and call for experienced pilots to serve in this role.

There are unsubstantiated rumours that a group of navy officers are considering acquiring balloons for use by the navy.

High command has increased your budget by 2 PP, as the country devotes more factories to war. Production of children’s toys is discontinued, and children now play with sticks instead.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 02:59:21 pm by Cnidaros »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2018, 02:24:26 pm »

We should begin designing something for ground attack. Or maybe requisitioning something...let's ask for flechettes. As a bonus, I bet they will be good for damaging balloons.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2018, 02:50:46 pm »

Not sure how much it will effect balloons as we need to get somewhat above them for even a chance to do anything and I don't know on our plane capacity but if we have some it could be useful as a good pre-bombarment option.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2018, 03:21:31 pm »

I am tentatively in favor of a single-seater plane for air superiority, over a multi-role dual-seater, with a focus on developing a synchronization gear, speed, and maneuverability.

I think we should use the recon squadron as the acrobatic squadron, and give their cameras to a new squadron. They have some flight experience, but aren't our most experienced pilots.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2018, 03:28:23 pm »

Okay. So we should focus on the Northern front. A loss from inaction isn't particularly bad, anyways; we're minor enough that the blame can be put on the army for it. But if our assistance directly helps a large victory north, then we should gain immense recognition for it.
And would balloons really help in the navy that much? We should consider giving the navy some balloons, but I don't think observation balloons on ships were really that much of a thing. The best thing I can find regarding historical naval usage of balloons is in anti-submarine warfare. Somehow. I don't think that's too relevant.

Aaanyways. Gotta get our monoplane out soon, for that delicious experience and dogfighting capability.
Equilibrium Fighter Monoplane
It turns out that our former general's business deals to buy crappy planes GLORIOUS STRONK FEATHERS had the sellers also including some notes on monoplane construction. We found this out in a perfectly innocent way, and not through raiding the general's confiscated cigar cache.
So, with some basic application of our maneuverability tech (ailerons, elevators, etc.), the good parts of the Feather, like its stability, we can make a functioning monoplane without much of a struggle. It won't be as stable as the Feather, sure, but we're still fairly confident it'll be more than stable enough. Just not extremely stable. Pure stability isn't our goal here anyways.
The engine has a small-ish upgrade from a 5-cylinder to a 7-cylinder rotary engine. This, combined with the slightly decreased weight, should contribute to a reasonable increase in speed.

The real innovation is at the front of the cockpit. A Type-11 is put at the hands of the pilot mounted on the front of the cockpit. This was at first dismissed due to the obvious flaw of the bullets hitting the propeller and breaking the plane's only source of propulsion. However, with some clever synchronization gearing, we can largely dismiss this problem by "simply" modifying the LMG to fire in such a pattern that the bullets will nearly always pass through gaps in the running propellers; allowing for effective front-firing LMGs through the propeller!

The applications are obvious, and are put to work in the Equilibrium. But, uh, we should probably reinforce the propeller just a tad so that the occasional misfire isn't an automatic death guarantee for the promise of flight.

TL;DR: Make a basic 1-seater monoplane using everything good(/that we know) from the Feather, then add a LMG with basic synchronization gears to the front for a fighter. Will be less (not necessarily un)stable, but should be faster and more agile and with the ability to shoot down enemy planes and balloons. And maybe strafing runs, if our pilots are feeling particularly bold.

Quote from: Votebox
New Designs
4 Dice - Equilibrium Fighter Monoplan [Double-Roll Time] (1): Chiefwaffles
It's a shame we can't pre-emptively advance projects, but it'll be nice to have some dice to properly revise the Equilibrium into a proper fighter plane. Again, name suggestions are appreciated.

Quote from: Requisition
Ask the army for a Radio (1): Chiefwaffles
A radio from the army will likely be pretty big, but we can revise it to size or use it as the base for its own project. Helps a lot with aerial superiority and especially our national advantage (teamwork), and we should get it over with now.
Though getting artillery shells or something of the sort to use as primitive bombs could also work, but I don't think it'd be that effective when jury-rigged onto reconaissance biplanes. And we should focus on air superiority right now -- if we have observation balloons and they don't, that's a huge advantage for us.

EDIT: Edited as per Ebbor's feedback.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:37:51 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2018, 03:35:21 pm »

Anyway, thoughts on the Equilibrium.

1) Remove the idea of the machine gun being requisitioned, because it isn't.
2) Maybe consider making the engine just a tad bigger? We have our stopgap, we can afford to be a bit ambitious.

For requisitions, I have a proposal.

Request Artillery Spotter equipment

Artillerists in the army benefit from scopes, rangefinder and specific books telling how to effectively tell the cannons where to fire. Since our balloon teams are basically spotters, giving them the equipment should greatly aid us.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »

Right; I forgot to remove the requisition part since I copied it over from before we actually requisitioned the Type-11. And as for the engine, sure I guess. A small upgrade shouldn't really be too much of a hassle as it's still the same type of engine and not a huge step up even in that type of engine. I've edited in the changes.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2018, 03:39:54 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
New Designs
4 Dice - Equilibrium Fighter Monoplane [Double-Roll Time] (2): Chiefwaffles, Taricus
Requisition
Ask the army for a Radio (1): Chiefwaffles,
Ask the army for Artillery Spotter equipment (2): 10ebbor10, Taricus

I can back this plan easily. Though I have to ask, is our MG belt-fed?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 57