Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 54555 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Kolechia Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2018, 02:33:37 am »

Quote from: Votebox
New Designs:
3 Dice - 1915-Eagle Fighting Biplane (2): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13
3 Dice - Equilibrium (1): Chiefwaffles

Project Progress:
2 Dice (costing 2PP) - Hykib (3): Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13

Requisition:
Ask the army for an air-cooled LMG for use in our aircraft (4): Jilladilla, Chiefwaffles, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13

I agree with Kashyyk. I mean, the army might well provide us with an open-bolt LMG (like the Lewis gun), which can't (practically) be synchronised. A pusher-type is the simplest solution to this issue, and whilst pushers are slightly less effective, it should be a quick, cheap project, letting us get fighters in the air ASAP. Once we have them, we can work on synchronisation gearing without having to worry that an extended project duration will cost us major losses.
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2018, 02:43:27 am »

New Designs:
3 Dice - 1915-Eagle Fighting Biplane (3): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Rockeater

Project Progress:
2 Dice (costing 2PP) - Hykib (4): Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Rockeater

Requisition:
Ask the army for an air-cooled LMG for use in our aircraft (5): Jilladilla, Chiefwaffles, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Rockeater

Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2018, 03:48:06 am »

New Designs:
3 Dice - 1915-Eagle Fighting Biplane (4): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Taricus

Project Progress:
2 Dice (costing 2PP) - Hykib (5): Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Taricus

Requisition:
Ask the army for an air-cooled LMG for use in our aircraft (6): Jilladilla, Chiefwaffles, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2018, 10:30:48 am »

Their balloons aren’t going to be a huge deal for the short term - only if we let them go unopposed (and we’re bringing in our own balloons anyways) for too long.

Remember that we have the same level of tech understanding of monoplanes that we do with biplanes. We just started with a biplane physically. Synchronization gears are being made around this time and it shouldn’t be too hard to go for them if the rest of the design isn’t complex. The Equilibrium applies this.

We want to progress in tech quickly. The army should be fine giving us something as basic as a LMG, and if they don’t, we can just requisition something better later. We need to improve in tech. Stop gap measures just don’t work when we have to spend tons of dice, PP, and time to build and deploy those stopgap measures in the first place.

I’d rather save the dice and revise a foster mount onto the Feather than wasting them on a stopgap
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:38:20 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2018, 10:46:33 am »

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I don't like the pusher prop. They have several inherent disadvantages that we won't be able to fix.

On the other hand, the Equilibrium is a bit overreaching, I feel. And worse, in order to reduce that it cuts back on other things (such as engine) which compromise the design as a whole.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2018, 10:52:13 am »

How is the Equilibrium overreaching?

It keeps the same engine as the biplane, which I don’t think is a bad thing as the engine did great with the heavier Feather. It’s a monoplane, but according to the technology listings we know just as much about monoplanes as we do about biplanes; that and biplanes are more stable, but we don’t have to worry much about that.
The only new thing is synchronization gear, really.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2018, 11:02:57 am »

Quote from: wikipedia
However, the first practical—if far from reliable—gear to enter operational service was that fitted to the Eindecker monoplane fighters, which entered squadron service with the German Air Service in mid-1915.
We are not there yet, and it's not the kind of things that can work well in case of low roll, I would support a plane with a foster mount.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2018, 11:03:37 am »

New Designs:
3 Dice - 1915-Eagle Fighting Biplane (4): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Taricus
3 Dice - Equilibrium (2): Chiefwaffles, Doomblade

Project Progress:
2 Dice (costing 2PP) - Hykib (5): Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Taricus

Requisition:
Ask the army for an air-cooled LMG for use in our aircraft (6): Jilladilla, Chiefwaffles, Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Rockeater, Taricus

I agree that we should start on monoplanes now.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2018, 11:06:58 am »

True but a synchronization gear is too early to our capability.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2018, 11:07:47 am »

There is the option to just revise a Foster Mount for the Feather, and then just bank a die or 2 for next turn. Maybe launch synchronization gear as its own design? (Paired with a design for a new plane, mayhaps?)

Is it a bit slower? Yup. Does it get immediate results? Also yup. We're likely to end up in an awkward state PP wise this turn anyway.
There's a tradeoff with every option, I feel...

(And honestly, I'd feel that the Eagle would be better served being in a normal configuration with a Foster Mount..)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:09:31 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2018, 11:10:39 am »

Rockeater, It isn’t though.
It’s 1915 right now. They already exist. Poor ones, but they do regardless. The Equilibrium isn’t meant to be the best fighter ever. Just a serviceable one that advances our tech. If they make pusher fighters or foster biplanes we should easily be able to fight them off while cementing our advantage.

There’s a reason I specified that the propeller blades be reinforced. As long as our pilots don’t empty the magazines in one sitting without gauging propeller health, they’ll be fine.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2018, 11:13:04 am »

It's 1915, and we have only just discovered the aileron.  We're not cutting edge.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2018, 11:19:03 am »

Yeah, I doubt Germany is going to share top-secret military tech with some backwater nation in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, I suppose we could try revising a Foster mount onto the Feather. I'd be okay with that. In that case, we'd probably want to spend 3 dice on the Hykib, to give us a very good chance of finishing it (the more we deploy the better).
Long Live United Forenia!

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2018, 11:22:47 am »

Well I will change my vote, we could revise the mount
New Designs:
3 Dice - 1915-Eagle Fighting Biplane (3): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Taricus

Project Progress:
2 Dice (costing 2PP) - Hykib (4): Chiefwaffles, Jilladilla, NUKE9.13, Taricus
3 Dice (costing 3PP) - Hykib (1): Rockeater
Requisition:

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2018, 11:32:07 am »

New Designs:
3 Dice - 1915-Eagle Fighting Biplane (3): Kashyyk, NUKE9.13, Taricus
No Design (1): Jilladilla

Project Progress:
2 Dice (costing 2PP) - Hykib (3): Chiefwaffles, NUKE9.13, Taricus
3 Dice (costing 3PP) - Hykib (2): Rockeater, Jilladilla
Requisition:

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 57