Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192  (Read 13794 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 05:45:07 am »

"I was imagining the same thing. Why, we could automate the milling process with these. Millers are already hated enough, turning them into machines would alleviate the stress of such men and make the entire process quite smoother. True, one could also use them as farmers, but I imagine the capital costs for these automatons to exceed the short-term benefits if you were to purchase a large number of these, and the long-term benefits would be outweighed by the excess labour markets..." She zones out a bit.

"Ah, do excuse my ramblings. We in the business often have to consider all new developments and how they affect our trade."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 05:57:43 am »

"I am curious if these machines can fight..." Alexei said absent-mindedly. "Why waste them on farming if they can do the much more valuable task of a warrior? Never hungry and never scared, why, it is the perfect soldier!"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 06:03:48 am »

"Cost. Performing maintenance on a machine every few months is cheaper than ordering a new one each time a metal soldier is destroyed on the battlefield, and they will be destroyed, my dear treasurer."

"In any case, I'd think we could manufacture a cheaper model if it isn't made military grade, allowing for a greater degree of mechanisation."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 06:41:54 am »

Laranth rolls his eyes at Alexei's words.

"If you wish to be the Treasurer of Argas, you must think like an impoverished denizen of Yshuis, not a gilded burgher of Risfurt. Look around; see the crumbling masonry and tattered clothing- this is reality. I concur with the good lady duAveguine; for the cost of one metal man we can outfit a dozen soldiers. I can see the value of these mechanical beings, but the cost is simply too great. The Treasurer should be looking for ways to save money, not spend it."
Long Live United Forenia!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:26 am »

Alexei lets out a laugh, verging on mocking. "Oh my lords, the equation is simple - he who holds the sword, not the one who sows, reaps the harvest. Truth be told however, that these automatons are fit neither for one or the other, since if only one man knows how to make them, there will never be enough of them around to make a difference."  He turns to face them both.

"Rather, my lords, I would speak of coin and trade, because let's face it, you won't squeeze any extra bushels of out of this land of ours."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 06:55:59 am »

'...I'd argue that's an anachronistic thought. Why, I do have ideas...grand ideas. Difficult ideas...but this isn't the place for such discussions. In any case..."

She turns to the king. "From all those involved in the grain trade my lord, we do wish to offer our services to you as much as we did to your late father."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 09:32:29 am »

King Tristan bowed his head, “And the realm appreciates your service, Lady duAveguine.”

He looks at the automations under demenstration with a bit of awe. With creations like that at the walls, one could make a fortress incredibly costly to take. The tinkerer could be quite useful, even counting the occasional exploding cow.

He turns to Laranth, “Duke Laranth, you served my father well, and he spoke fondly of you. Will you serve as my councilor, as you had once for my father?”
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 09:48:09 am »

"I would gladly offer my services, my liege. Both for the memory of your late father, and for the hope of a better future, I will serve the realm to the best of my ability. Of course, Yshuis requires my time as well, so I cannot serve year-round."

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:47 am »

Tristan smiles. “Excellent!”

The guard he had seen earlier comes up to him and whispers that there was an incident in the prison that requires his attention. The King excuses himself and follows the guard.

King Tristan stands outside the cell next to Lacie, stunned by the sight of his uncle’s body. He didn’t feel satisfaction or sorrow. He just felt nothing.

“The True King rises?” Tristan asked as he tried to run his hand through hair, only to be stopped by the crown resting on his head.

“This needs to be kept quiet until we find out what this means. Who knows about this?”
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 02:27:37 pm »

Lacie shrugged,
"The two guards, every other prisoner in this hallway. He shouted it pretty loudly so there could be others." she looked towards Tristan, "You know what this means correct? Your uncle wasn't alone in the plot."
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2018, 08:57:19 am »

Tristan sighed. “Keep this quiet for now, sequester the guards for now till we come up with a good message. We could get away with him killing himself in a fit of remorse.”

He leans a bit closer and says quietly, “I’ll leave it to you on how to handle the prisoners who might have overheard. If the truth got out, it would undermine the stability of the realm.”

After that conversation (leaving time for her to reply or ask a question), Tristan went to a private study and had his councilor Duke Laranth brought to him, and informed him of all that he knew regarding his uncle’s suicide and strange words. He asked his opinion on how it should be handled in the court.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2018, 09:27:02 am »

"Your uncle was a devious man. It would've been one thing to kill himself before the trial, but this way his final act was one of defiance. If word got out, it would embarrass the crown."

Laranth strokes his chin pensively.

"I do not like this idea, but perhaps it would be best to go ahead with the execution as scheduled. Have some other condemned prisoner take his place, with a sack over his head. It should be possible to fool people, thereby preventing his act of defiance from becoming well known."

"As for his last words... the true king? It seems implausible that your uncle should be an agent for a mere pretender, when he was so close in the line of succession. Especially given that he was willing to trade his life for the cause. Perhaps he sought the restoration of the high kingdom? If some southern lord dug up a relic from the old capital and claimed the throne, I could see dreamers being drawn to his banner. I had not pegged your uncle for such an idealist, but then I misjudged him in other ways as well."

"That is my best guess at present, your majesty. Hopefully your spymistress can uncover more information somehow."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2018, 10:16:37 am »

Later after the courtyard encounter...

"Lady duAveguine, do you care for some wine?" Alexei was the first to speak as they entered the room of royal chancery. He poured some for himself, and sat down behind a table. "You don't mind if we talk honestly about trade and the capital's supplies? Tell me, what is the state of your granaries, and what do you foresee for the next few years to happen. If kingdom is to grow, we must have a good economic policy, and I know you are keen on that."

Gather information about the kingdom - settle into the royal chancery and get records of the state of the realm (finances, property, ownership, etc).

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2018, 11:15:38 am »

Tristan frowned, “Hmm, a cunning plan, though I fear that replacing my uncle with another man would could cause great harm if ever discovered. Could we twist the truth in our favor, though? Saying he was filled with too much remorse and guilt, and couldn’t stand a day more of life? The inquisitive would perhaps find out that his true words, but we will control the narrative.”

He leaned back in his seat.

“ How are your connections among the Temples? This True King may be in their lore, and they are not fond of the royal family. Perhaps they may even be connected in some way.”
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:38:29 pm by chubby2man »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2018, 06:14:52 am »

"Such deception would not be without risks, true. What you describe would be safer, albeit more likely to lower people's opinions of your authority. I can see merit in both options, and will support whichever you choose, your majesty."

"Personally, I don't often speak with priests. But the Elder of the Grove in Kouhald is a friend of mine, and he corresponds with priests throughout the realm. I could ask him to look into the matter- discretely, of course."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16