Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192  (Read 13789 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192
« Reply #210 on: September 17, 2018, 09:58:41 am »

"If you wish to see enemy soldiers join our ranks, a measure of mercy will be required towards their leaders. I understand our good queen is unwilling to grant such clemency towards her rival claimants, and so I suspect we will earn no favours amongst their followers."
Long Live United Forenia!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2018, 10:38:41 am »

The Queen seemed relatively amused Duke Laranth, i can tell you one thing that holds true for all Woldians. We are pragmatic. Once their lieges have fallen and their castles are burnt, these men have a very narrow set of opportunities. After all, all they know is war. These are professional soldiers in the end. They only know how to fight. As such they can either turn to banditry, a proposal fraught with the problem that to get rich in the Wold one has to put everything on the line. The other alternative is turning to one of the Warlords. Meaning they have to escape our patrols, avoid being mistaken for bandits by other warlords and then hope those Warlords are generous and willing enough to hire them on. Far easier then to swear to the apparent strongest party, the people who have slain their Liege. You can trust me, these men will join, that is those that survive.

In any case, the matter of roads and transport is...problematic. My men are used to the conditions of the Wold, they know how to live of the land but the issue is the entirety of the army, the hillmen and the your levies. As long as we are in the Southwest the Argr will provide and easy supply route. Raimund and Margeret in all probability want to avoid us sieging their holdings, thus they will attempt to defeat us in a field battle, thats their only chance. However once Raimund and Margeret have fallen...things become more difficult. An Alliance of the three remaining Warlords might in fact be to our advantage, since fighting on Helgas lands still allows us to use the Argr. If no such alliance happens we could alternatively attack them by sea.

As or using my lands as a staging ground...

The Queen winces as she considers the food situation

It can be doable, the food situation is tense, with your soldiers on top of it i would be barely able to feed my people for another two months, so Argassian Relief is of utmost importance. Otherwise my lands are secure i have avoided any open warfare or skirmishing with the others and since Haetstett they have no inclination to raise my ire.

The main issue i see in fact is a field battle in which Koyl, Helga and Medraut combine their troops and face us head-on, which would be a worst-case scenario. In such a scenario our best bet would be to raise every able-bodied man in Argas to at least even out the numbers.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2018, 02:53:34 pm »

"My queen, should we expect forces from outside the Wold to join one of the Warlords in the fight against us?"
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2018, 06:36:00 pm »

In the small camp that clung to the outer walls of Arg Caís like a child to its ailing mother, Athewald of Caskgran, Captain of the Red Company, poured over troop numbers and maps. The long march north had taken a bloody toll on the Company, with men deserting and dying by the score with every month. When they had reached the fading kingdom of Argas there had been a general vote to seek work there, a vote Athewald now regretted. While they had managed to get a good deal out of the king they had barely found anyone worth recruiting, and those new recruits that did come in had a bad habit of dying to the Mountain Clans and the bandits of the Wold. Out of a company of 2000 men that had marched from Caskgran 90 were left. A pitiful number, but each man that now marched under the scarlet banner of the Company was a well trained and tested veteran. And campaign season was upon them, the time when the Company would shine. Two scribes were sent into his tent, one to take a letter to the king, and another to carry a missive to his captains.

To King Tristan Saleon, First of His Name and High King of Argas     
 Your Majesty, I write hoping that you will remember and respect the deal that the Company struck with your father. The Red Company served hard and well in his name and I would be more than happy to keep the mutually beneficial arrangement ongoing. I am gathering my men right now and sending out recruiters to help fill our ranks in preparation for the coming liberation of the Wold. Keep up the pact that we made with your father, the income we are owed per month for our services guarding the High Kingdom's borders and recruiting rights within the kingdom. Beyond this, for the upcoming camaign in the Wold my captains have been clamoring for loot and men from the scum. I humbly ask that the Company claim 5% shares of loot and treasure that is gained from any castle, fortress or enemy force they help defeat and be allowed to forcibly recruit from an prisoners our combined forces take.

From, Athewald of Caskgran, Captain of the Red Company

Athewald sends out his sargents and captains to recruit from the scum and villainy of the city. Beggars, criminals and common thugs can all find purpose within the Company
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:40:26 pm by mcclay »
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2018, 01:59:48 pm »

The king refuses to fund the defences of Yshuis. Yet he also expects Laranth to lead his soldiers south, and leave the duchy a tempting target. After considering the problem for some time, Laranth eventually decided to seek funding elsewhere. A loan from the Keepers of Storvar, and another from Duke Riskov, totalling 7000kr, would have to suffice. It ought to be enough to patch up the existing forts, at least.
All he needs now is someone to actually do the work. An architect, in other words. To this end, he decides to

Let it be known I am looking for an architect, to oversee repairs and renovations of fortifications.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2018, 04:26:11 pm »

The Queen grimaced once more at the suggestion Count Redpaw, that may very well be something that could occur, although my sources suggest that none of the Warlords have made any overtures to any of the Southern Powers...yet. Thus speed is of the utmost essence.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2018, 09:08:46 am »

The King turned to Duke Laranth, “We will need a noble to stay back and handle affairs while I’m in the mix of it. My father trusted you often, and you have shown wisdom in council. I am considering you to be the steward of the Kingdom, unless you wish to join me and have another in mind?”

“Our first priority is to eliminate all other claimnets. If we dawdle at every castle we will be stuck in the Wold for years. Without their leaders the warriors will gave no reason to fight. Spymistress Lacie will work with Gudrun to try to get a shot at taking out these false lords, though there will be a hefty reward for anyone who strikes one down.”

“Duke Riskov, have you had a chance to read the offer from the Red Company?”
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2018, 10:37:17 am »

"I appreciate the offer, my liege, but if I may- we may not see open combat often in Yshuis, but we see more fighting than the rest of the kingdom. Our axes are kept sharp, and we know hardship. I will not claim to be a veteran fighter, but still, I believe I will better serve the realm in war."

That, Laranth thought, and those left behind are rarely rewarded like those who fought on the front line.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2018, 12:37:50 pm »

"My King, as always, I am here to serve, in whatever capacity you may see fit for me. I am no warrior however, and I would be willing to entrust the leadership of my levies to any one of our dukes or other nobles fit to carry out this duty."

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2018, 12:22:25 pm »

The King nodded, “Thank you, Alexei. Most of the court will follow us on campaign, but I’d like someone trustworthy like yourself keeping the heartlands in order. I think the Red Company will make a good addition, but see if you can bargain with him for a better deal.”

“Prepare your lands for your abscene. A month after the wedding, we should be in Gudrun’s territory and march on Raimund and Margaret. This our time to seize glory, to forge a brighter future for Argas and our children. Gird yourselves for battle and hardship, but we will emerge victorious!”

With that, King Tristan brought an end to the official war council, but was available for further questions or discussions if needed.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2018, 03:47:00 pm »

After taking royal order for procurement of mercenaries, Duke Riskov made the suitable arrangements.

Spoiler: To the Red Company (click to show/hide)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2018, 05:08:43 am »

The Royal Wedding and the Calling of the Banners

A Royal Wedding in itself while certainly not unheard of (despite the claims of caustic peasantry on the nature of noble reproduction) is certainly a once in a generation event. Coupling that with something that hasn't happened in Argas for at least a Generation, namely the Royal Muster, we have an event that not only inspires the curiosity of the people of Argas but an event of such unusual importance that people from far and wide undertake the hardships of travel to see it.

The vast army camp of the Combined Argassian and Woldian Armies is snuggled inbetween the River Argr and a little known town of Cairnfurt. Normally a quite sleepy little town only bothered by the occassional Wold Raiding Party seeking to sell off their ill-begotten gains, it is now the bustling Center of the Royal Wedding, houses have been cleared out to make place for nobility, royalty and staff alike and great tents, tribunes and dais have risen up all around town.

And as the Guests of High Honor arrive a spectacle is made. Under loud cheers the Lords arrive in their great columns their banners held aloft.

Foremost the Kingsmen, The Counts of Argr and the Royal Guard, 100 Knights, 100 Men-At-Arms and Burghers on horse and over one thousand foot. Behind them the Columns of the Queensmen, two and a half thousand heavy foot.

The Arrival of the Kingsmen and the Queensmen was a given, the Question remained what the Dukes would bring to the table.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2018, 12:40:27 pm »

( after past action of searching basilica archive for any arcane and forbidden lore happens)

Head to royal archive

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2018, 05:39:32 pm »

Avaris was of course, busily organising all the little aspects of a wedding that never seemed to come up until the very last moment. It was all quite astounding how blades of grass or orphans could so easily become factors that could disrupt or contribute to the success of such an event. Quite maddening, quite indeed.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2018, 06:09:11 pm »

Lacie was with the King and Queen's party, watching over both of them. She was never far from their side, determined that the ceremony would go according to plan.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16