Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192  (Read 13792 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Last Argument of Kings IC-Thread Year 1192
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 04:00:23 pm »

Hmn? Oh, I haven't actually set a price for them. Not really sure how much they cost.
I mostly just gather scrap metal that's lying about in order to make them. From what I can tell they need maintenance every.... two months, I think? That is, assuming just normal wear and tear. If one was attacked, it would probably need some in-depth repair.
As for feeding people? One of these specialized for farm work does about at much work as two men and a horse. They can work at night, after all, and they don't get tired!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 04:14:00 pm »

"Tch. Let me tell you, the value of the metal alone could feed a family in Yshuis for several months. This country has real problems, yet here people stand gawking at toys. I can only hope our new king has more sense than to invest in such frivolities."
Long Live United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 04:20:42 pm »

o.o

Erin motions to the crowd to disperse. Alright everyone, party's over.

After they do so...
What can I do to help? I can probably make versions that use less metal... I could take the plating off the outside, though they might need maintenance..... a single farmer is able to feed their family each year, yes? Maybe we could replace the agricultural sector with automatons, let everyone else go to work as blacksmiths, engineers, traders... productivity would skyrocket! or maybe... It seems that he forgot you're there.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 04:35:14 pm »

Laranth regards the rambling engineer sceptically.

"If you devise a machine that a farmer could actually afford, let me know. For all the good it will do."

With that, he turns to leave.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 04:36:48 pm »

Why should we make them buy it? If we can make them, and they benefit everyone, what point is there to forcing people to pay for it?

After all, if these are tending the fields, nobody will need to be farmers. There'll probably need to be automaton maintenance people, but the a fraction of the amount of farmers there are now could probably cover the amount of those we'd need.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:39:23 pm by Glass »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 04:52:15 pm »

Laranth turns back and shakes his head.

"You clearly don't know the value of honest work. Farmers are the bedrock of this kingdom, we can't just replace them with metal and hope to have a functioning country at the end of it. As for why people should pay for them- someone has to pay in the end, and that person will expect to be rewarded. The farmer deserves to own his tools, and not be beholden to another."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 04:54:40 pm »

Hmn.
Well, I've already got a good four or five automatons lying around, what do you suggest I do with them?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 05:00:48 pm »

Tristan clasped Alexei on the arm with a warm smile, “ I’m glad to accept the offer of your services! We will arrange for the record keepers to give you the necessary information. “

Tristan comes to the yard and sees the dispersing crowd. He begins to make his way to a training post when he spots Duke Laranth talking to his court engineer. He offers him a tired smile as he walks over.

“Does it get any easier, to condemn a man?”
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 07:24:21 pm »

A finely-dressed woman, but pragmatically so, watched the whole trial with a look of bemused interest. It ended far too quickly for her liking and without much flair. She supposed that was the way of reality; things rarely went the way of novels and tales. Regardless, she had business. She followed the king out to the training yard and watched him watch a demonstration. Some inventor had created automatons. Interesting, she supposed. But she had much more mundane and clear goals for the day.

She approached the king and his man with a smile but with a practical demeanour. She held in her hand a small necklace of threaded sampaguitas and roses, the traditional gift of the well-to-do to new rulers. She coughed.

Overhearing the king's musing, she deigned it within her right to reply.

"A king's heart needs to be made of stone, but as malleable as copper, my king. Such was your father and those before him." She offered the necklace to the royal."

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 09:49:22 pm »

“Thank you, my Lady. I will keep those words in mind for the days to come. May I have your name?”

He took the necklace with a solemn face. Tribute to the new King was an old tradition, from the days when the Kingdom of Argas was a collection of tribes and clans nestled in the valley. While the necklaces may be of small worth, each one symbolized the giver’s trust, faith, and loyalty to the King, and his responsibility to them. The necklace she gave was clearly from the upper middle class or low nobility.

A guard rushed up to the balcony above and spotted the King. He looked like he wanted to say something but thought better of it, and started back down the stairs.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:55:58 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 10:29:52 pm »

She bows. "Avaris Lucelle-Varia duAveguine, proprietor of your majesty's  United Grains Corporation. I do believe your father received his bread and those pies he much enjoyed from my agents daily. We've respectfully, stopped the production of such pies in this period of mourning...of course."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 03:16:47 am »

Laranth regards the engineer briefly before replying.
"If you truly wish to do good, spend some time on a farm- without your metal helpers. Learn first-hand what problems a farmer faces day to day. You cannot learn the farmers art by reading books or philosophising; you must get your hands dirty. I spend a few days each year on a farm near Kouhald, for that very reason."

He turns to regard the king.
"Your father"- he paused for a moment- "Often joked that should condemning a man to death ever become easy for him, he should be the next to be executed. You made the right choice, but not the easy one. Yet that is our solemn duty; we bear the burden so that others may live in peace."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 05:14:56 am »

"Your Majesty, you are too generous" Alexei bows deeply as he hears the king's words. "It would be my duty and honour to serve you and the realm."

He followed the king as he walked toward the courtyard, where they encountered Lady Avaris and Lord Laranth.

"Why Lady duAveguine, it is a pleasure to finally see you." Alexei gave her a polite bow. "I hope you do not think me too forward if I say it would be a pleasure to discuss some business later? As His Majesty's Treasurer, capital's grain supply is a matter of life and death for the kingdom."

He noted the interesting contraptions that were displayed in the courtyard. Mechanical men were a myth that apparently was fuelled by some unknown sorcery, but here they were.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 05:22:34 am »

She returns the bow. "Why of course, it would be my pleasure to discuss such matters...perhaps after this demonstration?" She leaves the question hanging in the air.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 05:40:36 am »

"That would suit me fine." Alexei gave her a polite smile.

"Interesting things, are they not?" He looked at the automatons. "I believe Lord Laranth already had his fill of the demonstration, by the looks of it."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16