Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Last Argument of Kings OOC-Thread  (Read 6142 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Last Argument of Kings OOC-Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 01:34:57 pm »

@Rockeater: You could play a thrill-seeking mage if you really want to. The problem is, thrill here means suicidal rituals which summon things from the depths of whatever godforsaken underworld exists making pacts with them and/or trying to dominate them. If you fail pretty much the mildest thing that can happen is crippling injury. the worst is a full blown End of the World Scenario.

Generally mages make for interesting sidestories or new plots, but fact of the matter is, that if you survive beyond your first spell you are already ridiculously lucky. Alternatively you could spend in-game decades on studying and gathering magical knowledge and tomes to ensure that you actually know what you are doing. The latter route of course bears immense powers beyond mortal ken. With the caveat of decades of studying and constant threat of demonic possession.

In general magic is something that exists but is rather rare and most of its practitioners are barely scratching the surface of what can be done.

tl;dr: Dark Souls only unfair.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 01:38:46 pm »

Ok, I won't I will see what I can be later
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 01:38:53 pm »

I was actually considering signing up as the Court Mage. Or... a variant.

The name's Erin Quill, magitechnician and arcanaturge. I'm skilled in artifice and magic theory - yes, what do you mean? What, is it a problem that I'm eighteen? No, I didn't think so.
Anyway. I'm here because I need a job and neither the Mages' Guild nor the Mad Scientists' Guild want me, because I apparently go against both their ideologies at once. I'm not entirely clear on how that happened. I think the mages don't really like that I was studying their rituals, and the m.s.'s were unhappy that I gave the mages any credence at all.
It's probably not important.
For the most part, I make magic items, not cast spells. I can make the farms plow themselves, and... you want an example of my work? Ok. Go look out the window.
You see the ship hovering in midair with a bunch of balloons strapped to it? That's mine.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 01:52:47 pm »

Well, this gonna end badly, I take doom prophet.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 01:53:01 pm »

Idea is good but runs into some problems. Magic, again, is rare, so Mage Guilds are not really a thing since the number of people mad enough to practice it are a) far and few inbetween and b) because its so bloody dangerous mages are by and large distrusted and disliked by everyone.

Think 16th Century Witch Hunts, only with a good reason for them. So while a court mage is certainly possible, prepare for general fear, disgust and hate and a general public relations disaster for whoever decides to employ you. On the other hand if you manage to somehow convince people differently, then you are made.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 01:54:08 pm »

As I said, doom prophet

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 02:03:35 pm »

:/

Fine. Gimme some time to set up a different iteration of Erin, that goes all the way up to tying physics into knots without actually breaking its laws and using magic.

*cue the Renaissance*

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 02:17:15 pm »

I'll make a spymaster
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »

I've decided to post a description of the various duchies and regions of the kingdom as they come up so we know what we are talking about and where things are situated. Also to give a feel of the regions.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 03:30:58 pm »

Name: Lord Alexei Riskov

Bio: Lord of Risfurt at the confluence of Arngar and Argr, the city is the capital of the Arnmarch. With his family holdings remaining static over the recent years, the changing conditions have reduced the once powerful house to search other ways to gain wealth. With recent change in the leadership of the duchy, Lord Alexei is pouring his wit and skill into making his part of the kingdom prosper, and through that, the kingdom.

Arnmarch: A duchy in the south-west with borders stretching to the capital, the land is one of plains and hills, with the river of Arngar which flows out of the western mountains beyond the kingdom's borders, being its key feature alongside Argr itself. With trade that flows along the rivers, the town of Risfurt is ideally-situated to gather profit from the trade that the kingdom desperately needs. This is bolstered by the Riskov dynasty's predilection for business, which other nobles would find distasteful.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 03:33:36 pm »

Spoiler: Spymaster (click to show/hide)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 03:47:13 pm »

Okay then. A Description of Yshuis is out, i hope i didnt make it sound to miserable :P

Ardas you are accepted i will write up a bit about the Arnmarch next.

and since Kansa posted his/her app i think we need some more clarifications about magic:

Magic is not a gift one is born with. Everyone could potentially cast magic, it is something that has to be deliberately sought ought and claimed. It requires much study and with it pacts with certain beings, or the possession of certain artifacts to allow a mortal human to cast magic.

In short, you need to possess the means or the sheer will to get your hands on things which allow you to even get into magic.

Otherwise your character would have been fine. So throw in some changes and you are good to go. Your character could have started studying it under that spymaster for example if you really want a mage spymaster.

Also so we don't get flooded by mages (considering we have 3 Nobles and 3 Potential Mages at the moment) i will cap the number of existing mages at any given time to 1.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:50:34 pm by Ghazkull »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 03:52:45 pm »

I will lurk in this thread to steal ideas watch the proceedings ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 03:57:23 pm »

Ah I thought that might be a problem, I'll change up the backstory slightly.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 04:01:10 pm »

Here goes Erin Quill, attempt 2.

As far as anyone can tell, he showed up one day with a trade caravan from the East and just stuck around. He's friendly, if awkward; cheerful, if a bit unsettling sometimes.
He set up his workshop in an abandoned barn, slowly but surely filling it with an assortment of odds and ends that did things. Not anything in particular, just spinning and churning and all sorts of things that things that don't do anything do when they're just lying around being things. But occasionally, something extraordinary would come out of the barn. Like the one time he built a man made of metal and clockwork that could plow a field. Or the time when he strapped a balloon to an old sailboat and drifted above the houses. Or that one time he accidentally caused someone's cow to explode.
Nobody's quite sure if he's all there, or if his wonders are quite real. After all, he does seem to engrave them all with his own peculiar brand of rune, though a travelling wizard assured everyone that none of them actually meant anything. And he'll talk to himself while working sometimes, as if there were someone whispering ideas into his head.
But that's nonsense. Pure speculation. Absolute balderdash. And it's not as if he's not able to make himself useful.

Erin Quill, tinkerer and engraving enthusiast. How may I be of assistance to you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9