Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 119

Author Topic: Gridhood: Aspects of the Divine!  (Read 138940 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gridhood: Aspects of the Divine!
« Reply #360 on: June 06, 2018, 07:20:34 pm »

Anyway, feedback on aspect triggering is appreciated.
It's too late for that. This game has now a game about wishing for more wishes for a while now.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 06, 2018, 07:28:54 pm »

Oho! This changes everything! Editing my action.

Dipnoi Republic

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 06, 2018, 07:57:02 pm »

It's too late for that. This game has now a game about wishing for more wishes for a while now.
Don't understand what you mean.  Wishing for more wishes?

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 06, 2018, 08:10:13 pm »

Don't understand what you mean.  Wishing for more wishes?
So what he means is that you can take actions using FP now that earn you FP back. In my opinion so long as the amount of FP you get stays lower than the cost this should work but if it goes over you could get a runaway positive feedback loop. Which is not good and leads to imbalance, thankfully you as the gm can just reduce the amount of FP they get as this goes on, until they earn 0 FP for most things.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 06, 2018, 08:24:21 pm »

To pick on Mabel, take that Demihuman forest. All the modifier does is make demihumans, and all they really do, mechanics-wise, is give Mabel more FP.

Or take the talking zebras, created with FP and giving more FP in worship. But then, I suppose there's an in-game way to deal with that, and it's in my god's sphere. Maybe.

Malvol break's the protection at G7, and creates a pride of lions there, hungry for the slaughter of zebras.
Except he changes his mind, and creates a group of aggressive swamp pygmies on H7.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:41:45 pm by Nirur Torir »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 06, 2018, 09:27:05 pm »

Dipnou are located in I6! :p The Xerkani are the only ones able to reach the sneky jungle.
Oh right. I knew that before, but got your colours confused some time in between! I moved the placement.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 06, 2018, 10:19:30 pm »

Civilization Application:
Name: The Merfolk council.
Aspect: Merpeople (ie. the race of mermen and mermaids.)
Starting Tile: F6

Actions:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do I get an action the turn I join or do I have to wait a turn?

Edit: I discovered the answer on my own based on the behavior on pages two and three.I am now adding my actions to this post.

P.S. does anyone know how you give a name to a spoiler in its title proper?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 11:31:57 pm by High tyrol »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 06, 2018, 11:02:16 pm »

Action edited due to above poster's civ's arrival.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Oblivion2007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 07, 2018, 12:28:49 am »

Giving a worker a "magical" ability isn't exactly the same as making the worker magical.  I was considering "magical ability" to be fluff text.  I didn't even realize that he was trying to buff the worker while also making the worker trigger his aspect.  Though, I suppose I should have realized that.

This makes no sense to me. How in the world does Greenthumb even work if not by magic? I mean there should be a difference between having a magical ability and being inherently magical, because being inherently magical buffs all magic. A magical ability should basically be like being able to cast ONE spell innately with no reagent cost but no others. I was expecting to get FP from the worker using that magical ability (essentially 'casting that spell') which would then be subject to diminishing returns but ultimately pay for itself at the very least.

I'm seriously not getting how this was misinterpreted so drastically. And about research:

On turn 7 in the Dipnoi Republic
2 Workers research Blowdarts at I6.  Blarg is amused, and gains 1 FP!

I think this is where the confusion about research comes from. Looking again I guess this is from research being done in the swamp rather than researching blowdarts. In that case I'd like to question why I never got any FP for activity done in K1 despite it being a magical forest.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 07, 2018, 01:33:26 am »

I kinda like how aspect triggering works currently, though overall, I think FP gain should occur when something eventful or clearly worship-oriented happens. Using an "eventful occurence" as a guiding thread, I think spammable actions will naturally yield less and less FP as those become less "eventful" the more they happen.

Following this train of thought, I think completing research related to a god's aspect should give FP as it is quite an event. Doing an action for the first time in the game or/and in a tile should probably give some FP. Though on the matter of Foraging, I don't think it should yield any FP at this point, as it has become a very common action. Something novel like building a swamp farm or a new settlement would generate FP for instance.

You can even throw some dice if you aren't sure, I personally like some hint of randomness.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 07, 2018, 03:36:57 am »

I have no problem with any event granting FP so long as that amount decreases and eventually vanishes with repetition.

After all, the text is "X is intrigued". You can only maintain active intrest of something being in your swamp for so long before it just becomes meh. At that point, it should no longer give FP.

I do not think FP ought to be awarded on research, because that seems like it would be rather unbalanced. Theres only so much snake research to go around, but building research could go on for a very long time. The FP ought to come from actually interacting in novel ways with snakes, or building novel buildings. That's a much more balanced approach in my opinion.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 07, 2018, 03:54:12 am »

I'm okay with how the aspect related FP is given out.

Malvol break's the protection at G7, and creates a pride of lions there, hungry for the slaughter of zebras.
"I have done noting to you to warrant you killing my people, if you go threw with this I'll kill the civ that likes you."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 07, 2018, 04:17:06 am »

So what he means is that you can take actions using FP now that earn you FP back. In my opinion so long as the amount of FP you get stays lower than the cost this should work but if it goes over you could get a runaway positive feedback loop. Which is not good and leads to imbalance, thankfully you as the gm can just reduce the amount of FP they get as this goes on, until they earn 0 FP for most things.
Well, if gods get less FP back than they put into something, one might wonder why they would bother.

I came up with the idea of aspects because I wanted a way for gods to get some FP without having to rely on worshipping so much.  In a "normal" Gridhood, if the civs aren't worshipping much, then the gods will often spend turn after turn doing nothing.  In a way, the civs have the gods by the balls in "normal" Gridhood.  If the civs don't like you, you're screwed; you'll most likely have a pretty boring game.

It occurred to me that a feedback loop might happen, too.  I thought that, at some point, there might be so much FP and stuff around that the game becomes unplayable.  Or all the civs get destroyed, or something like that.  This game is experimental.  It could be that this aspect thing results in a broken game.  If so, my apologies.  Hopefully everyone has fun anyway, if that turns out to be true.

To pick on Mabel, take that Demihuman forest. All the modifier does is make demihumans, and all they really do, mechanics-wise, is give Mabel more FP.
What Mabel has done is what I expected gods to do in this game; that is, manipulate the game into triggering their aspect so they get more FP.  To be fair, I don't think it was only about triggering her aspect; we have 2 civs who want to be cat-like, and Mabel was trying to help them out with that, I think.

As for Blarg's Zebras:  I think Blarg's player was just being whimsical.  I don't know if he expected to get FP back doing what he did.  I thought it would be funny if the Zebras starting worshipping him after all that, so I made that happen.  He has spent a lot of FP on the Zebras, the tile, and the protection, much more than he has gotten back, so I'm not sure if there is anything unbalanced going on there.

Giving a worker a "magical" ability isn't exactly the same as making the worker magical.  I was considering "magical ability" to be fluff text.  I didn't even realize that he was trying to buff the worker while also making the worker trigger his aspect.  Though, I suppose I should have realized that.

This makes no sense to me. How in the world does Greenthumb even work if not by magic? I mean there should be a difference between having a magical ability and being inherently magical, because being inherently magical buffs all magic. A magical ability should basically be like being able to cast ONE spell innately with no reagent cost but no others. I was expecting to get FP from the worker using that magical ability (essentially 'casting that spell') which would then be subject to diminishing returns but ultimately pay for itself at the very least.

I'm seriously not getting how this was misinterpreted so drastically. And about research:

On turn 7 in the Dipnoi Republic
2 Workers research Blowdarts at I6.  Blarg is amused, and gains 1 FP!

I think this is where the confusion about research comes from. Looking again I guess this is from research being done in the swamp rather than researching blowdarts. In that case I'd like to question why I never got any FP for activity done in K1 despite it being a magical forest.
Is the Xekarni's worker who was zapped by Malvol into a spear warrior also magical?  Is The People's Champion magical?  Are their abilities magical?  Maybe the process that made them that way was magical, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they and their abilities are magical.  I could see how the Greenthumb's ability could simply be knowledge that was imparted "magically" but now neither the ability nor the worker are magical.  Maybe that doesn't really make sense, but we're talking about a fantasy world, and not much does.

Look at it this way:  I have been charging extra FP when gods add properties to workers or whatever that trigger their aspect.  When Mabel made a tile that makes workers both magical and demihuman, she had to pay extra to have the "demihuman" part mean something.  It could have been just flavor text that didn't trigger her aspect, and it would have been cheaper.  If, for example, Nagas wanted to make an artifact that makes someone stronger, he couldn't call it "snake strength" or something and expect it to trigger his aspect.  Not without paying extra for the "snake" part, anyway.

The research example you gave was for an action taking place in a swamp.  Dipnoi Republic was blatantly gaming the system by putting the swamp tile coords in the research action when you don't have to.  I thought that was kind of funny, so I gave Blarg 1 FP.  It was just that one time.  I rewarded system gaming, my apologies.  And I should have given Izzith FP when actions took place on the magical tile.

For some reason, I haven't been having research trigger aspects.  I suppose there's not a good reason for that.  It will mean another aspect of the game that I have to keep a sharp eye on, but that's fine.  So let's say, from now on, that completed researches might trigger aspects.  And I'll give Izzith 10 more FP for past magical researches.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 07, 2018, 04:26:50 am »

I have no problem with any event granting FP so long as that amount decreases and eventually vanishes with repetition.

After all, the text is "X is intrigued". You can only maintain active intrest of something being in your swamp for so long before it just becomes meh. At that point, it should no longer give FP.

I do not think FP ought to be awarded on research, because that seems like it would be rather unbalanced. Theres only so much snake research to go around, but building research could go on for a very long time. The FP ought to come from actually interacting in novel ways with snakes, or building novel buildings. That's a much more balanced approach in my opinion.
I suppose that might have been part of the reason why I was not giving out FP for research.

However, I think I will have it do so now, sometimes.  "For balance reason" does not seem like as a good reason to not do it, now.  Aspects are pretty much unbalanced; some are clearly better than others.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 07, 2018, 04:30:50 am »

As for Blarg's Zebras:  I think Blarg's player was just being whimsical.  I don't know if he expected to get FP back doing what he did.  I thought it would be funny if the Zebras starting worshipping him after all that, so I made that happen.  He has spent a lot of FP on the Zebras, the tile, and the protection, much more than he has gotten back, so I'm not sure if there is anything unbalanced going on there.
I only did it because I couldn't think of any thing else to do at the moment then I decided to try and make them a civ and spent all of my FP on them, I basicly  got way less coming out then I put into it.

Also I'm going to change my action to try and save my Zebras.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 119