Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 119

Author Topic: Gridhood: Aspects of the Divine!  (Read 138829 times)

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gridhood: Aspects of the Divine!
« Reply #1395 on: July 18, 2018, 09:37:52 pm »

I'm also wondering what you guys think about the heroes idea.  Do you think having heroes being a third type of player -- so we'd have gods, civs, and heroes -- would work?  I'm not sure.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 18, 2018, 09:41:44 pm »

Do you think having heroes being a third type of player -- so we'd have gods, civs, and heroes -- would work?
I do not think it would.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 18, 2018, 09:48:32 pm »

I support the "continue" plan.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 18, 2018, 09:55:37 pm »

I'm also wondering what you guys think about the heroes idea.  Do you think having heroes being a third type of player -- so we'd have gods, civs, and heroes -- would work?  I'm not sure.
The problem with this is that heroes operate on a smaller scale than civilizations or gods, with very different kinds of problems, goals, and general interactions. They'd need a different, more zoomed in, map to play on. and would need several turns for every civ turn that passes.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 18, 2018, 10:55:01 pm »

Continue

Not sure about heroes but if you do introduce them, you can have the god players control them
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 18, 2018, 11:12:47 pm »

If you are going to shake up the game mechanics, I recommend putting a lot of thought into them. One thing in particular is that god players might not appreciate being locked out of the game, and simply praying to one to bring them back would defeat the purpose of locking them in the first place.

I might instead recommend giving gods a new set of more subtle powers. Maybe make it so that the basic landscape cannot be changed anymore, but the climate can be. Perhaps a power that will create a sub-faction that workers can join or leave of their own free will that affects their stats and behaviors or something?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 18, 2018, 11:42:51 pm »

Heroes could be a god-player thing - a way to interact with the world while they slumber and give boons to civs they like. In return, make gods far less powerful. Creating artifacts should take more FP, while zaps & random mutations might still be low-cost. Supernerd suggested good idea of weather. Also, gods could be showing mortals what there already is on the nearby tile (a ray from heavens fell near your settlement, with cache of spears lying where it landed. Praise ...!)

I kinda liked how Neheb survived everything through discipline. I'm pretty sure this disciplined tenacity of cobra style is going to survive whatever the world throws at the,
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 19, 2018, 12:14:45 am »

These are all interesting ideas.

Heroes could be a god-player thing - a way to interact with the world while they slumber and give boons to civs they like. In return, make gods far less powerful. Creating artifacts should take more FP, while zaps & random mutations might still be low-cost. Supernerd suggested good idea of weather. Also, gods could be showing mortals what there already is on the nearby tile (a ray from heavens fell near your settlement, with cache of spears lying where it landed. Praise ...!)

I kinda liked how Neheb survived everything through discipline. I'm pretty sure this disciplined tenacity of cobra style is going to survive whatever the world throws at the,

The thing is, I'm not expecting the gods to be slumbering for all that long.  The problem with making the gods less powerful is I know from experience that it can be boring for a god to spend ten turns in a row unable to do anything because of lack of FP.  I know that still happened sometimes in this game, but I tried to make it less likely.

Maybe make it so that the basic landscape cannot be changed anymore, but the climate can be.
Interesting idea.  Maybe Amastay's purification blast had the effect of locking the tiles in place.  I'll give it some thought.

Maybe we could make it so anyone can play a hero in addition to playing their god or their civ, and if someone wanted to join and play just a hero, they could.  I'm not sure how heroes would arise, though.  Randomly?  Like legendary workers did in the stone age?  If heroes are rare, would that mean that people will get mad over who gets to control them?  Maybe I should just scrap this idea of heroes altogether.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 19, 2018, 12:28:31 am »

You can tune down 'hero' vibe a bit. And make them just travelers, adventurers and seekers of opportunity, not some legendary demi-god figures (though they could become them in time).

I meant to limit only godly actions that truly change the world... Although that might be a whole point why people play gods. Welp.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 19, 2018, 12:48:59 am »

I'd like the game to continue.

I am mildly sad I couldn't push at least one civ to copper age, although I got very close with Aglejo. A couple extra turns before apocalypse got in full swing, and they would have had metal casting.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 19, 2018, 02:43:16 am »

Dipnoi Remnants

1 Priest of Nagas, 1 Swamp Druid, 1 Worker with Pox and 1 Worker builds 4 Primitive Houses at I7

Missed the T45!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 02:45:45 am by Nakéen »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 19, 2018, 04:59:18 am »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:00:56 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 19, 2018, 06:30:25 am »

I want the game to continue, also the only way I can see the player hero thing working is if it was played in a separate thread or they had several turns in between the regular ones.

So Amastay basically nuked the world, that's going to raise everybody's insurance premiums, and I for one can't afford that crap.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 19, 2018, 07:05:57 am »

id like the game to continue but i would like to see more stuff to do for gods. I mean the pure presence of a god should inspire something for the people witnessing.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 19, 2018, 07:09:04 am »

So Amastay basically nuked the world, that's going to raise everybody's insurance premiums, and I for one can't afford that crap.

The world needed a good nukeing.  >:(
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 119