Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37

Author Topic: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace  (Read 46467 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace
« Reply #510 on: June 15, 2019, 02:56:43 am »

It's also been pointed out to me in discord that the time where gravity drives and the blink bore capacity don't work at the same time is actually pretty minimal, and just limited to the few (four) seconds after the bore is initially generated, thanks to Improved Blink, so that concern actually has kind of already been fixed. I'll still keep the partial blink because I think it'll be useful if we roll nicely, though.

(Or, hmmm, Andrea pointed out to me in Discord that it might have the effect of eating capacity, which I do NOT want to happen. Since previous work and the evident fact that bores generated are thereafter independent from the engine that created them have ensured that using grav drives immediately after boring is not actually a problem, I might as well remove the track.)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:04:06 am by Powder Miner »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 15, 2019, 03:28:37 am »

Quote from: Borebox
Skip Drive: (3) Kashyyk, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner
Binary Bore Drive: (0)
"Alphabet Soup" Variable-Push Bore and Sublight Drive System: (2) SamSpeeds,10ebbor10
So I thought about it and while it's a bit embarrassing to switch away from my own design (sorry, sam, our capacity camaraderie must end) I actually think that the skip drive kind of does provide us the most overall benefit considering our doctrine. I think Alphabet Soup IS a perfectly viable design but I remembered that I was after Turn 3 wondering about how long our bore-speed advantage would actually be able to hold up against the Hivers in battle, and Skip DOES solve that. Capacity's a bitch, but the capacity difference between Skip and Alphabet Soup is actually probably less useful than the short-range bore bonus.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 15, 2019, 08:14:03 am »

Skip Drive: (4) Kashyyk, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, Andrea
"Alphabet Soup" Variable-Push Bore and Sublight Drive System: (2) SamSpeeds,10ebbor10

I agree that the most important thing to improve is tactical performance of the drive.

Although, the borenav had important synergies with bore shield which I think skip drive might not have.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 15, 2019, 10:55:42 am »

Quote from: 10ebbor10
I think you may be mistaken about what arms race you're posting in.
Not really. The way I see it working mechanically is an increase in the resilience of planetary defenses, and also greater ease in colonizing and adapting to foreign environments. That fits with what I've seen so far.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 15, 2019, 11:14:12 am »

We have settled a variety of inhospitable biomes, including at least an airless one, without any reported issue. I don't think tech for colonizing and adapting is ever going to play a role in the game, basic distillation is something we are all assumed to have.
I don't think it is going to significantly boost planetary defenses either.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 15, 2019, 11:21:18 am »

Skip Drive: (5) Kashyyk, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, Andrea, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 15, 2019, 11:52:40 am »

Quote from: 10ebbor10
I think you may be mistaken about what arms race you're posting in.
Not really. The way I see it working mechanically is an increase in the resilience of planetary defenses, and also greater ease in colonizing and adapting to foreign environments. That fits with what I've seen so far.

A lot of the stuff like food/water gets abstracted away. Colonization really isn't mentioned at all - you get dominion over a planet, colonists come on their invisible ships, and boom. Infantry is the same way, I really don't think too hard about the logistics of basic necessities. Transport space is transport space because it can take care of those necessities, as opposed to just being cargo space or open capacity. How it can is largely unimportant.

A design like yours would be better served as a part of something like hardened bunkers, civilian arcologies, or deep space platforms with significant permanent populations. Technologically speaking, it's more than simple enough to be a revision, and so it's prime candidate for rolling up as a minor component of a bigger and better whole.

The scale of this game makes things like designing water purifiers a little too specific. (unless the enemy is specifically targeting your water in some peculiar fashion) When you've got an idea for a neat little thing like that, jot it down and think of something bigger that could make effective use the neat little thing. While neat little things are often not worth the action economy to design by themselves, they can combine to form remarkable wholes.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 15, 2019, 01:39:32 pm »

Skip Drive: (6) Kashyyk, 10ebbor10, Powder Miner, Andrea, Twinwolf, TFF

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 16, 2019, 10:57:09 am »

The drums of war

Aphelion, capital of Gaia, is the biggest of its cities. It's a picture of contrasts that builds up as you go inwards -- from empty roads and empty dirt, with nobody to claim them, to little dots of buildings spread in little clusters among the land, to the rows and blocks of rectangles that are the offices and homes that make up most of Aphelion, to the central district. Here, the architecture becomes grander, more esoteric -- glittering shapes of steel that tower over the rest of the city. The library that holds the old works of Earth, the office skyscraper that holds the many bureaucrats that bicker and sigh over the lower-level decisions that make up the sway and flow of Gaian society, and other examples make Aphelion a place of a more human kind of spectacle than the rest of Gaia.

Most of all, the building dead at the center of Aphelion is the prime example of this: towering, with artistic curves but an imposing presence nonetheless, is the building that houses those who make the grand decisions. It's an architectural trick, mostly -- only a few floors, at the top of the tower, are actually inhabited. But at the top of that architectural scepter lies the council of captains, the top military officials of the regime -- fourteen men around a table, along with an always-empty seat.

“[…] If this trend continues our demographic projections will have to be adjusted downward. Truth is, Gaia is slipping from our control.  We almost quadrupled the population in the last 20 years, and forecasts say we will pass 1 million people in a mere couple of years. We are no longer a small colony, and people don’t feel the struggle for survival anymore. We need to bring them together before a lack of cohesion derails the plan”

The Admiral, leading the council and the meeting, nods and agrees.

“Agreed. This however is an issue better addressed in the general meeting with regional governors. Unless there are objections, I will delay discussion, and votes, until next week.  And if nobody has any other point to bring, we can consider this meeting con-“

Captain “Cato” Vulpes, an extremely elder man and one of the survivors of the original expedition, stands up, met with a collective groan from the rest of the table.

“Yes, captain Vulpes. You have the right to speak. We are eager to hear your wisdom on the matter.”

“Captains and Gaians, the matter is simple. In consideration of all the points discussed today, HIVERS MUST BE DESTROYED!.”

A discordant voice arises

“Cato, we are all well aware of your position. Which you remind us at every meeting, every time you speak.  We haven’t been provoked and we have more immediate concerns. We voted on this multiple times already, can you let it go?”

“They are aliens and they are refusing all communication. They must be plotting for our extermination- Do you all want to end up like Earth of old? Ruins scorched by alien scum? Hivers must be destroyed”

Captain Fouad El-Ghazzawy, head of Gaian intelligence and counter-intelligence, interrupts the discussion.

“Actually, I have some relevant information on the matter. I received a message from the Liir- “

“The Dolphins are scum too. Anything they say must be a trick to lower our guard”

“-Which could support Captain Vulpes’s motions”

“But maybe I can trust them this one time!”

“One of my contacts in the fringes encountered a Liir vessel during his journeys. Normally that would simply be a curiosity, both ships ignoring each other until they finish their business. but this time they were actively seeking a human vessel. They jumped on my contact to within knife range, ensuring he couldn’t leave, and then they dropped a large quantity of information on the ship’s computer. In addition to that, he says he has occasionally vivid memories of the event described in the received information, which is a concerning fact by itself.”

Captain El-Ghazzawy makes a brief pause, ensuring that he had the attention of the room for the important news he was bringing.

“Hivers made contact with the Biocollective, seeking to make an alliance for the complete extermination of the human specie from the galaxy”

The room collectively Gasps and for a while confusion reigns, with a mix of panic, anger, distrust. Captain Vulpes, at least, felt vindicated.

“I told you, I told you all that the bugs were out for us”.

Another captain addresses Fouad El-Ghaazawy

“Just to be clear, but when you say ‘contacts in the fringes’ you mean one of those rogues which ran away with our ships and that we have been trying to catch for a while, don’t you? How can we be sure that the message can be trusted? “

“You don’t get much useful intelligence from law abiding people. And you get no useful intelligence about alien races many light years away by staying in the orbit of Gaia. Anyway, he was scared enough of the matter that he actually turned in himself and his ship, and my agents have examined it to the best of our abilities. The story is legit, events happened as my contact described.”

The Admiral intervenes

“We can trust your contact, fine. However, do we have any way to be sure that the message is truthful, and not a forgery?”

“Admittedly, not much. We don’t have a sufficient grasp of Liir technology to be sure that it isn’t forged, and it looks like a translation of some sorts. My personal assessment of Liir psychology suggests that they are being truthful and warning us of danger, but the truth is we don’t know enough to verify the message. Regardless, it would be prudent to prepare for hostile action”

“Indeed, if the message is truthful we have an enemy in the Hivers and if it isn’t we have an enemy in the Liir. Curses, the biggest ship we have built so far is a civilian corvette. We shouldn’t have begun with the fleet until year 120. But if they warned us, I assume they refused the deal, so that buys us a few years. More than that if it is actually the Liir who are trying to goad us into a war. On the matter of military readiness I am invoking Admiral privilege. Design teams and shipyards will be alerted. Civilian production is to be suspended unless explicitly authorized. The relevant captains will receive orders later. I propose a new motion however: Shall the public be informed of the contents of the message , and if so how shall we present it?”

Captain Dustin Colton decides to make his point

“We are all well aware of the rumours we heard from the Liir, the tales of how Hivers eradicated a specie from the third planet of a sun a century ago, haven’t we? So far we had to think of that as a coincidence, but this this message sounds a lot like somebody trying to finish the job they started. I ask you to consider, what if the reason we lost Earth is, in fact, the hivers? We shouldn’t just build the fleet. At the first sign of aggressive moves, we should strike. This might well be a war of annihilation in which only one of us will survive.”

The crowd murmurs. The topic of Earth has always been a hot one in Gaia, its fate unknown. And here is somebody proposing an actual cause, with reasons even if flimsy. Calls for scepticism are interrupted by calls for war, mixed with uncertainty. Then Captain El-Ghazzawy speaks again.

“Captain Colton made an interesting point. It is certainly possible that hivers destroyed Earth. And it does sound like they are trying to destroy us. There are, however, reasons to doubt it as many of us made apparent in the recent discussion. But let me make one point in favour of pushing this narrative.
For the last years, the main topic of those councils has been how our society is losing cohesion, deviating from the plans of growth. Slipping away from control. And as population grows bigger, and it will do so at a ever more rapid place, we risk it ripping at the seams. But we do have common values. One of those values, the core of our society, is the loss of Earth and the quest for vengeance and reclamation. What better way to rally our people together then, than to find who did it? The hivers destroyed Earth. And we promise to bring retribution to them. If there is anything that can bring Gaian people together for the future, it is this.”

Captain Jennifer Heng rises to oppose this

“Are you insane? Deliberately lying, tricking our own population to bring them into a war frenzy? Have you actually looked at how tiny our population is right now? If we tell the people that hivers destroyed Earth, there is no going back. They will want war, and they will want it soon. We have barely more than 800 thousands people, of which only 200 thousand adults. Do you really think that it is going to be enough to wage an interplanetary war against a foe that has a population in the billions, or trillions, and has been space faring for far longer than us?”

And yet, her opposition went unheeded When the time to vote came, the majority voted to publicly accuse the hivers. Some because they believed it and some because of political expediency, but in the end the die was cast and the council decided for war.

Captain Heng, before leaving, gave a closing remark

“You are playing a game with stakes we can’t afford. I dearly hope I am wrong, but the day will come in which we all will regret the decision taken today”

Then after leaving the room she started making plans. War might be inevitable, but perhaps there would be ways to survive that. But before that, a visit to her children was due. For who knows when they would be called to fight, now that the drums of war are beating?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 16, 2019, 11:13:37 am »

Skip Drive
[Time: 5 Progress: 2 Cost: 2]
The old Bore Drive system has been long due for a complete overhaul. As a consequence, the project attracts the best and brightest minds in the department, and there's tremendous drive to be a part of the team that makes the breakthrough to redefine the basic unit of borehole tech. This enthusiasm, unfortunately, leads to case of too many cooks. Too many cooks with boreholes. Too many cooks with boreholes, everything to prove, and expendable test subjects in the form of interns.

The competitive atmosphere is high in the labs. After a particularly nasty borehole relay race orchestrated by two eminent borehole physicists with competing designs leaves most of their slaves interns valued test competitors in critical condition due to radiation poisoning and minor splicing injuries, the regulatory agencies final step in an do something they almost never do: they enforce order in the Gaian labs. This order comes at the cost of some of the more... inspired test practices, and requires an enormous portion of expenses dedicated to updating safety equipment or buying it where none exists, but it does keep the naked ambition of the engineers from acquiring a body count.

Skip Drive: 0/14 [2] |  50T +100O + 125M + 100E + 15S | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 4]
The final drive prototype, codename 'Jonas Grumby', is an agglomeration of design compromises between variants that were excellent in a particular area, but abysmal failures in most others. As such she's something of a Jack-Of-All-Trades, without any singular exceptional properties of her own, but without any major issues. Predictive algorithms borrowed from downscaled Bore-Nav chipsets, upgraded mid-range sensors hybridized from the Bore Shield systems and standard sensor packages, and a healthy dose of simple modernization upgrades make the Skip drive unparalleled for jumps of up to engagement range distances.

Long-range travel was a bit of persnickety trick. The multi-jump approach is much harder on the drive coils than a single monolithic jump, and a considerable redesign of the bore-wire spools was needed to keep them from melting into slag from repeated jumps while still maintaining the overall 'speed' of the BoreNav jump systems. Some small sacrifices were made here, primarily in additional resources spent on coolant systems and reinforcement, but it's enough that she can keep up.

The sizing requirements are a bit of a headache at the higher end, as the additional power requirements to open apertures at scale requires additional refinements to the borewire structure and all associated energy feeds. The completed changes are still a net benefit, as the high-density power cabling eventually invented is able to be propagated back down to smaller variants in order to achieve additional streamlining.

Skip Drive: | 15T 0O 30M 80E 0S + [0S  20T 0O 30M 30E 5S * Ship Size up to 5 (Battleship)] | Capacity: -3 * Vessel Size up to 5 | Power: -22 * Vessel Size up to 5 | Speed 2 |  A second generation and heavily streamlined bore drive, yielding substantial improvements across all expenses, natively integrating speed 2 technology, capable installation across a variety of classes, and with a particular edge over other drives in terms of tactical jumps of up to engagement range distance.

5d Bleedover Rituals
[Time: 3 Progress: 4 Cost: 3]

The manual the Watchers provided has, with simple explanations, color-coded lesson plans, and a variety of helpful footnotes, opened up a rat's nest of physics conundrums, theosophical quandaries, and mathematical formulae that rely on proofs which themselves defy casual rationalization with existing theory. The clarity of the documents themselves only serves to highlight how esoteric the subject matter is when compared to conventional science, which one of the research leads likens to giving a respected scientist-philosopher of ancient Greece an early highschool school text on borehole physics.

Despite the outside-context-problem that the documents represent, our researchers have made fair progress in both decoding and applying the information within.

The first revelation is that the book makes frequent and practical usage of a word that ends up translated as 'soul' or 'spirit'. They exist in a dimension of possibility collapse, where things that might have been but weren't decay from a thousand timestreams, generating pulses and ripples of energy as they fade and break away. The document includes several 'pictures' of this realm, visualizing the near dead-black energy background of hard vacuum, the only slightly less dead background of an asteroid, and contrasting it against the bright flame of burning star's chaotic interactions as well as the even brighter fury of a populated planet's background signature. A mind, the document notes, is the perfect energy source for creatures in this realm. The chaos of thoughts arising and dying, the thousands of potential decisions that rise and fall, they all create a constant source of decay energy which attracts creatures that latch onto these bright flames and grow ethereal structures around them- capturing energy and grooming greater chaos via weak interactions with probability energy in our standard dimension. These are the creatures which the book refers to as 'souls'. Symbiotic creatures with thinking organisms, these Souls apparently serve an important function in creativity in higher life and cunning in lower life, boosting idea formation and destruction in order to sate their appetites, but they are also affected by the energies they consume. The document makes reference to another text on the subject, one that the watchers, sadly, did not include.

The more religious are somewhat aghast at the idea that a Soul is a symbiotic form of extra-dimensional life that feeds on the cast-off thoughts of the living, but that isn't even the real thrust of the manuscript. All of that information was covered in the first couple chapters, just background material clearly intended to catch the slower reader up to speed.

The primary dimension of interest to the book is referred to as the Interstitium, acting as a sort of buffer between the probability collapse dimension and the material dimensions we inhabit. The text refers to it as the source of all things, all matter, all space, all time. When particles arise and fall from quantum foam, this is where they come from and where they go. The big bang itself is described as as a protracted breach of the interstitium into normal space. Certain forms of higher life, the book notes, create faint but permanent meta-structures within the Interstitium in order to form a more direct conduit through the interstitium and into the Probability Collapse dimension for the express purpose of attracting and capturing a Soul, just as a plant grows a beautiful flower for the express purpose of attracting a honeybee.

Through a series of coordinated movements designed to maximize the potential number of physical transitions that end in a minimal number of physical transitions, a brief spike in non-mental probability collapse energy can be generated. The Soul will squirm to catch this additional and unexpected bounty, creating what can best be described as a 'vibration' within the interstitial substructure. With many individuals performing motions, and the motions carefully synchronized to create carefully timed probability collapses, an interstitial resonance can be created that thins the barrier between dimensions and eventually create a fissure between dimensions that the book refers to as a 'perpendicularity'.

The book outlines four 'basic' perpendicularities, and while it makes references to more advanced form, it leaves the discussion of such to dedicated textbooks which, as before, the Watchers have not included. Each type of perpendicularity has four modes, roughly translated as the Pulling, Pushing, Abrogating, and Transposing modes. It makes a special note that any perpendicularity which brings something over from the other side must be done with the utmost precision and flawless form if the 'something' is desired to persist - otherwise, it will gradually slip back over to the other side.

Perpendicularity of Energy
--- Pulling: Creates a bridge to the other side from which energy can flow. Can be a cataclysmic flash or a steady surge.
--- Pushing: Creates a cavity which drains energy into the other side.
--- Abrogating: Locks an area into energy stasis. All energy transfer is deferred until the perpendicularity ends.
--- Transposing: Allows energy to be transformed and moved within the field.

Perpendicularity of Matter
--- Pulling: Pulls matter from the other side and brings it normal space.
--- Pushing: Pushes matter from normal space and puts it in alt-space.
--- Abrogating: Reductively manipulates or more properties of matter within the field.
--- Transposing: Additively manipulates properties of matter within the field.

Perpendicularity of Space
--- Pulling: Expands the fabric of normal space, artificially increasing the distance between any two points within the field.
--- Pushing: Contracts the fabric of normal space, artificially decreasing the distance between any two points within the field.
--- Abrogating: Temporarily removes a contiguous segment of spacetime, creating a region of true void.
--- Transposing: Temporarily create an isolated pocket dimension.

Perpendicularity of Time
--- Pulling: Dilates time in an area of normal space, accelerating local time flow.
--- Pushing: Contracts time in an area of normal space, slowing local time flow.
--- Abrogating: Suspends the flow of time in a local area.
--- Transposing: Creates an artificial timeline, allowing one to briefly experience future events in the local area before snapping back to the origin timespace frame.

While this opens up staggering vistas of opportunity, we've had considerable difficulty generating these perpendicularities at scale, or in an anything other than the most controlled of environments. While modest success has been achieved with many synchronized dancers, the creation of multi-dimensional tools has been an extraordinarily difficult task for several reasons. First, getting a tool into the interstitium requires a pushing perpendicularity of matter. That perpendicularity needs to be perfectly made and of daunting power in order to permanently affix the desired material in exactly the right position. Second, our understanding of the interstitial structures that humans generate naturally in order to capture souls is... limited. The breadth and complexity of structure needed to attract a soul to a tool is currently beyond us - and the implications of the success of such a project frighten the more metaphysical sort. All current successful projects fall into one of two categories. The first focus on placing synthetic resonators within the interstitium that can be charged to replicate (at a small scale) the thrashing of souls and create very minor perpendicularities. The second makes artificial additions to the interstitial structure of a living human, allowing for the resonances of certain perpendicularities to be focused much more easily and potentially allowing even a single dancer to create a strong effect. The drawback is that our efforts in this area are mostly trial and error, and we've only ever succeeded in getting one or two subtypes of perpendicularity functionally amplified at a time.

In essence, while the sky may be the limit, we're going to need to put in a bit of an effort to learn to crawl before we fly.

5D Bleedover Rituals: 0/20 [3] |  10T +200O + 200M + 160E + 45S | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype - MADNESS Facilities
[Efficacy: 3]

While current efforts to miniaturize the 5D feng-shui technologies to allow practical battlefield or shipboard use have so far produced only underwhelming prototypes, the stability and scale of industrial manufacturing complexes have allowed perpendicularity based tech to find a home there. The MADNESS (Matter Augmentation/Drawing Network with Enhanced Synthetic Stabilization) type facilities are part testbed for various 5D dance techniques, and part mass fabrications facilities. Built around a farm of positionable chaotic trans-dimensional resonators, designed to interface with the Interstitial structure of certain, specially prepared, individuals, the primary function of such facilities is to directly (and permanently) draw material from the interstitium and into normal space. While this process is vastly inefficient for obtaining basic materials, it's tantalizingly powerful as a source of rare, unstable, or (the Grail) synthetic elements. With the right resonance and a lot of careful planning, it's possible to directly draw in elements that would ordinarily take weeks of laboratory synthesis to yield a few grams.

Now, once drawn into normal space, these elements still don't like to exist. This is where the ESS of MADNESS comes into play. Via matter abrogation perpendicularities and pulling temporal perpendicularities, these experimental facilities are able to operate on normally hyper-unstable elements with comparative ease.

Unfortunately, these facilities are far from perfect. The power demands of the resonators are immense, and that continual energy expense pales before the enormity of the combined construction and maintenance cost of the multi-dimensional chaotic resonators themselves. The fact that engineers can't yet fabricate a holding structure for a soul means that the facility also relies on individuals as a key element in the process, and this dependence limits both the operating times and the amount of energy that can be forced through the interstitium at once. As such, while these facilities are capable of enormously augmenting our existing infrastructure, it's unlikely to replace typical production in the near future.

MADNESS Facilities: | T150 O200 M300 E150 S50 * Planet Size. 5 Ranks | Massive facilities designed to use 5d bleedover to draw in and stabilize elements that rare, dangerous, unstable, or any combination of the three. Enormously expensive and ill-suited to basic resource production, it nonetheless capable of producing any form of matter and finds its niche in filling production gaps for otherwise prohibitively expensive resources.  Increases Accessibility by 2% per rank for TOME, increases by 3% per rank for S. Stacks with all facilities, can increase accessibility beyond 100%.

Revision Phase of Year 5
Resources
Dice: 2
T: 15405+ 3215
O: 52021 + 8460
M: 22659 + 13148
E: 12274 + 6393
S: 728 + 605

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Active Market Deals (click to show/hide)

Gaian Technology List
Gaian Empire Planner

Spoiler:  Current Deployments (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:16:26 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 16, 2019, 10:16:04 pm »

Pattern: L'Epee des Astres:
L'Epee Des Astres
-1x L'Epee Des Astres

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 17, 2019, 01:38:00 pm »

Superconducting Energy Grid

The superconducting energy grid is a proposed refit for any ship that replaces it's bulky, inefficient conventional powergrid with a superconducting network. The material itself is taken from the superconductor developed for the Testudo, only mass produced. A protective bioplastic coating defends the seemingly impossibly thin wires from wear and tear as well as common dangers such as clumsy personal, fire and sudden decompression. It's hoped that this considerably more compact and efficient wiring can lead to capacity and power savings throughout the refitted vessels.

We're starting to have trouble to fit all our stuff in all our ships. An efficiency upgrade like this is needed if we want to avoid excessive cannibalization of our own capabilities. 

In addition, the narrative is on our side for this one. Utilizing superconductors to conduct electricity is not exactly farfetched.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:32:43 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 17, 2019, 04:36:32 pm »

Here's a pair of suggestions for this phase:

Quote from: PEB - Breathtakingly Large Extender
The PEB is a very nifty generator, but it guzzles synthetics like its going out of style. We also use multiple in our ships, which is costing us even more. For those who have forgotten, the PEB is just a linear particle accelerator with a borehole at each end, turning it into a infinitely long accelerator at the cost of some synthetics. However, having multiple PEBs offers no synergy. They each operate in isolation.

This can be resolved quite simply. Take two PEBs and remove one end from each, before sticking them together. Voila, you now have a double length PEB that still only needs one set of boreholes. We've halved our synthetics cost! Of course, stacking more PEBs end on end simply amplifies our savings. There is the small problem of reduced redundancy, but if our ships are losing generators it probably has fairly serious problems anyway.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:09:22 pm by Kashyyk »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 17, 2019, 05:31:38 pm »

Quote from: E-PEB
Current generation PEB's accelerate streams of particles, then crash them into absorber plates to transform into electricity. It's an elegant process that only involves a moderate amount of exotic radiation, but we can do better. The E-PEB reduces the PEB to it's bare essentials, cutting out all excess. Shielding, particles and base plate are all gone, leaving only the borehole generator, and a newly introduced piece of superconductor.

The E-PEB, or electron-PEB, transports only electrons through the bore. This allows a considerably smaller and cheaper bore. A static electromagnetic field is placed over the entire bore space, creating a potential difference between the entry(low potential) and exit(high potential) bores. Electrons flow towards the low potential, through the bore, then back to low potential in a perpetual cycle. Because we utilize a superconductor (derived from Testudo), this cycle can continue up till extremely high currents without issue.

A few additional components are also included. A standard issue variable transformer transforms the energy from PEB-voltage, Ultrahigh current to shipboard standard, a simple capacitor stabilizes the power output in between bores, and a robust mechanical system connects and disconnects the wire with minimal material loss. Even so, a small flinter of material is transferred from bore-input to bore exit wire with every cycle, which is why a small supply of back-up wiring is provided. Depleted wires are recycled at home.

It is hoped that this new E-PEB is a more compact, cheaper, safer and more productive energy solution
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:50:47 am by 10ebbor10 »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 17, 2019, 08:47:33 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Pattern: L'Epee des Astres: (1) Powder Miner
E-PEB: (1) Powder Miner
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37