Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace  (Read 46471 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2018, 06:52:00 am »

As our GREAT infantry was allowed to invent a set of small arms, it seems reasonable to assume that we can invent some basic fighter weapons to go with our fighters.

Confirming, this is true.

EDIT: Also, I'd like harder numbers for how many hardpoints you want on something other than "healthy" and "a few". We're still in negative numbered turns, so you can bug me over clarifications.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:18:19 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2018, 07:51:24 am »

Right, as such I will begin by requesting you to clarify roughly how many 'Hanger Slots' a typical cruiser sized carrier can carry; making the assumption that said cruiser sized carrier sacrificed all other weapons hardpoints, except for maybe a few point defense guns, for said hanger slots.

It would be the simplest and most straightforward benchmark to get in order to get a baseline from, right everyone?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2018, 08:12:27 am »

Right, as such I will begin by requesting you to clarify roughly how many 'Hanger Slots' a typical cruiser sized carrier can carry; making the assumption that said cruiser sized carrier sacrificed all other weapons hardpoints, except for maybe a few point defense guns, for said hanger slots.

It would be the simplest and most straightforward benchmark to get in order to get a baseline from, right everyone?

For small hangers, capable of launching one, maybe two, fightercraft at a time, refitting a similar number, and being able to hold dozen or fewer small fighters- but being unable to launch heavier fighters or refit large vessels, you could probably stick 20+ bays on if you sacrificed everything else.

Medium bays, capable of launching wings in quick succession and refitting in groups, with higher capacity and the ability to carry heavier fighters and special ordinance, probably around 10.

Large bays, capable of multiple synchronous launch and landing, able to refit large sections of the force at once and practically able to carry a couple frigates around, maybe 3 on a good day.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2018, 09:15:45 am »

The Expedition-class should probably have 6 medium hangers or 2 large hangers then.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2018, 01:05:55 pm »

2 large hangars definitely fits the Expedition, yeah. Though I'm not quite sure about the number of hardpoints.

Is 2 Large, 4 Medium, and 2 Large Hangars a reasonable set of specifications?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2018, 01:12:25 pm »

2 large hangars definitely fits the Expedition, yeah. Though I'm not quite sure about the number of hardpoints.

Is 2 Large, 4 Medium, and 2 Large Hangars a reasonable set of specifications?

That's running very heavy, actually. Remember that 'maybe 3 on a good day' was the estimate I gave you for EVERYTHING being sacrificed to get hangars. That means structural integrity, other weapon mounts, speed- everything.

A pair of mediums and some smalls is more reasonable. One large gun and a couple smalls is a tougher sell, but I can see it.
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2018, 01:21:27 pm »

I would rather not sacrifice our carry capacity that much... maybe we could just also design artillery ships to hang way the fuck back and use our large guns.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »

In that case, i think we should go with 6 medium hangers, 1 heavy mount, 2 mediums and 8 smalls.

Edit: What are we doing regarding C&C btw? Are we having a separate module or integrated?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2018, 01:35:40 pm »

C&C is integrated into the Expedition class -- the super computer mentioned in the design.

Also I'm a bit confused about terminology now. In your post Draignean I don't know when you're referring to hardpoints or hangars. Mind elaborating a bit?
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2018, 01:39:26 pm »

C&C is integrated into the Expedition class -- the super computer mentioned in the design.

Also I'm a bit confused about terminology now. In your post Draignean I don't know when you're referring to hardpoints or hangars. Mind elaborating a bit?

The original question was for hangars, and so I stated 3 large was the best you would be lucky to achieve on a cruiser if you gave up a lot along the way.

Thus, two large hangars, two large hardpoints, and 4 medium hardpoints would be a stretch. The other two options I gave were for hardpoints under the assumption of two large hangars.

EDIT:

Wait, you meant that to be an integrated command module for a full fleet, not just the ship and its drones?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 01:42:13 pm by Draignean »
---

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2018, 01:47:43 pm »

Oh — with the clarification, 2 large hangars, 1 large gun, and a small gun or two is how I would prefer to see it done — if our carriers hang back, a large Death Ray would be more effective than 2 med Death Rays or >2 med Shatterguns
With the fighters, the small guns may not even be as necessary.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2018, 01:50:36 pm »

A large Death Ray doesn't have greater range or damage, it just fires faster.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2018, 01:54:41 pm »

Yes, I’m aware, but as far as I’m aware medium Death Ray RoF is pretty abysmal.
(Confirmation on Discord; two medium Death Rays don’t match the Rate of Fire of one Large one)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:06:13 pm by Powder Miner »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2018, 02:10:21 pm »

Large gun mount could also be used to mount a different big gun when we get it.

And I'm personally leaning towards Large + some mediums for hangers. If only to free up more internal space for modules. Make something that's primarily a carrier, but has enough flexibility in the hull to fill out a number of sub-roles.

Even if we want to send them out with a 'maximum fighter number' load out, we could likely design/revise a module that's effectively storage for disassembled fighters. Almost certainly won't help alpha strike capacity, but it would allow it better endurance as it could replace losses to its fighter wing in the field.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2018, 02:16:01 pm »

Okay:
1 Large hardpoint, 2 Medium Hangars, 2 Medium Hardpoints. That's good, right?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37