Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace  (Read 29261 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace
« Reply #330 on: May 01, 2019, 06:34:57 am »

Design
Maelstrom launcher [3 dice] (3): Frostgiant, Doomblade, Rockeater
Spore Field[3 dice](1): Jerick

Progress allocation
1 dice to Void piercer (0):
2 Dice to void piercer (0):
1 dice (Rush) to void piercer (4): Frostgiant, Doomblade, Rockeater, Jerick
2 Dice (1 rush) to void piercer (0):

Black market Tech:
Rune stones (1):Frostgiant
Anti-Entropy Generator (1): Doomblade
Atomomancy (1): Jerick

Initial Bid:
10,000 Production points (2): Frostgiant, Jerick
Wait for now (1): Rockeater
I'm not too hot on the Maelstrom launcher as it's a large mount weapon that's primarily aimed at PD. I much prefer the spore field design as it shouldn't take up any new mounts being alternate ammo for the spine launcher and appendage. It should have the deployment range of the spine launcher which should be more than enough for our purposes. Secondly I think we should save our large mounts for weapons that can deal considerable damage to the larger ships. In fact it's something I think we should work on soon.

For the Runestones I feel that they don't do anything we can't do already. If we want psionic lightning there's nothing stopping us. I don't see what they give us that can't be done in a normal design.

I submitted the Anti-Entropy Generator but due to clarifications from Draig I'm not sure it fits the contest rules. Being that it's an application of unknown tech rather than the tech making it possible.

Which means I'm going with atomomancy for now but I am not fully sold on it.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 01, 2019, 09:31:27 am »

Design
Ch'if Fly Swarm [3 Dice] (1): MoP

Progress allocation

Black market Tech:
Anti-Entropy Generator (1): Doomblade
Singularity Containment Protocols (1): MoP

Initial Bid:
10,000 Production points (3): Frostgiant, Jerick, MoP

Something about the spores doesn't seem right for the PD. Having it as an augment to existing things might be more passable as a revision, but I'd rather have the PD be it's own system we can work off of. I do want some PD though, and something focused on it so it's attention isn't split. We could possibly create a ranged boarding weapon out of them in the nearish future, depending. I do, however, think some use of spores as a spray-on minefield would be heckin' sweet.

Also voting for the S.C.P. for our black market tech. I wanna weaponize a black hole then have a containment breach in a hostile system. I don't feel a strong preference though, so perhaps I could be persuaded to change my mind.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2019, 11:21:27 am »

Design
Ch'if Fly Swarm [3 Dice] (2): MoP, Doomblade

Progress allocation

Black market Tech:
Anti-Entropy Generator (0):
Hyper-Relativity (1): Doomblade

Initial Bid:
10,000 Production points (4): Frostgiant, Jerick, MoP, Doomblade
Swapped vote ti hyper-relativity, intentional doublevote.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2019, 12:52:37 pm »

Design
Ch'if Fly Swarm [3 Dice] (3): MoP, Doomblade, Rockeater

Progress allocation

Black market Tech:
Atomomancy (2): Jerick, Rockeater

Initial Bid:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 01:25:16 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 01, 2019, 01:18:59 pm »

Why do we want the Maelstrom? What's the point of having a large, likely slow firing, AoE "point defense" weapon? They could probably see where it's capable of defending at any moment, which kinda lets them in on the best angles of attack. I'd rather make something that's actually designed to be defensive, and not a weapon pretending to be. Our weapons are fine for now. Keep in mind both our enemies are probably already working on counters to one another so we might have some breathing room in regard to hard counters to our armaments.

Also, another Black Market Proposal:

Non-Carnotian Metals

Non-Carnotian Metals are extracted from the very core of stars and planets. These metals disobey the laws of thermodynamics, resulting in liquid metal at low temperatures and solid at high. Many Non-Carnotian metals also completely disregard pressure variables as a result. NCMs have great potential in all aspects of Liir life, it's just up to us to figure out how to use them.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2019, 01:31:29 pm »

Why do we want the Maelstrom? What's the point of having a large, likely slow firing, AoE "point defense" weapon? They could probably see where it's capable of defending at any moment, which kinda lets them in on the best angles of attack. I'd rather make something that's actually designed to be defensive, and not a weapon pretending to be. Our weapons are fine for now. Keep in mind both our enemies are probably already working on counters to one another so we might have some breathing room in regard to hard counters to our armaments.

?
The maelstrom launcher is a big ass turret, by that logic in real-world ship combat people would have been able to completely dodge battleship fire via moving were it's not pointing.
The projectile fires, The Maelstrom launcher turns and aims and fires at a different spot, Once the Projectile leaves the barrel Their is literally no reason why it can't fire again in a different area.
See were it's defending? really? Combat is measured by thousands of Kilometers and the maelstrom is a Railgun fired projectile, The idea that they can barrel dodge the Massive death orb is fucking laughable.
Fighters might be able to dodge the fuck huge orb of death, at the cost of fuel and opening themselves up to more laser fire as they dodge and delay their approach, But the torpedoes as of right now can't, they barely juke, let alone move out of the KM large zone of death.
We have no large mount weapons and the vala is a variable fucking ship, I see no reason why being large mount is a problem.

You know what a big zone of Deletion would be really good at? Killing volleys and concentrated attacks, like we ran into this turn.
A weapon pretending to be defensive, really? By that logic the evil eyes aren't useful either.

The point of having, as you put it, an AOE "PD" weapon, is the capability to destroy large concentrations of enemy munitions and fighters at the same time or force them to dodge and divert wasting fuel and slowing down their approach for the evil eyes to do their jobs for longer.
Best angle of attack argument is kind of laughable at the distances we are talking about and combat speed we are talking about, what do you think their going to dom Have their fighters move 100,000 Km out of the way to try and get a better angle when the big ass turret could move 5 degrees and retarget them again?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2019, 01:36:25 pm »

Can you repost that without all the salt bro? Not gonna give it a second more of my time otherwise.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2019, 01:53:20 pm »

Why do we want the Maelstrom? What's the point of having a large, likely slow firing, AoE "point defense" weapon?

Why do we want an Aoe weapon against torpedo and fighter spam? is this even a question? The enemy is using large volleys and massed attacks, So a weapon that can destroy or disrupt a large amount of them at the same time is useful.

They could probably see where it's capable of defending at any moment, which kinda lets them in on the best angles of attack

This is silly, There are a limited number of attack approaches at engagement range, and at the ranges, we are talking about moving the turret barrel even half a degree will allow it to retarget the incoming enemies. Ok, They've burned fuel and wasted time maneuvering out of the way of the Deah ball? Now they have less fuel to approach and our evil eyes have hundreds of more moments to kill off fighters and torps.

I'd rather make something that's actually designed to be defensive, and not a weapon pretending to be.

This is silly, Its proactive defense vs reactive defense. The swarm needs to wait for the enemy to close to range and actually attack the ship in question along with paring up their torp runs with relentless barrages to weaken the shield, Sunbeam fire to clear the massive amount. The maelstrom launcher isn't vulnerable to relentless attacks or secondary weapon fire while the Swarm is.
The spore munitions feel more like a revision than a design.
A weapon pretending to be defensive, what do you even think Most anti missile and anti-fighter countermeasures even are?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 01, 2019, 02:24:45 pm »

Can you repost that without all the salt bro? Not gonna give it a second more of my time otherwise.

Both of you need healthier attitudes towards this discussion. Phrases like silly and pretending imply that the other person doesn't know what they're doing or are being intentionally misleading. Likewise, italicized actually clauses and quotes imply the other is stupid for saying or thinking something. Worse, refusing to engage until someone shows you deference that you do not show them is toxic.

Play nice, both of you.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 01, 2019, 04:47:04 pm »

Design
Ch'if Fly Swarm [3 Dice] (3): MoP, Doomblade, Rockeater

Progress allocation

Black market Tech:
Rune stones (0):
Atomomancy (3): Jerick, Rockeater,Frostgiant

Initial Bid:

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 01, 2019, 04:49:13 pm »

Tie Broken

Design
Ch'if Fly Swarm [3 Dice] (2): MoP, Rockeater

Progress allocation

Black market Tech:
Rune stones (0):
Hyper-Relativity (0)
Atomomancy (4): Jerick, Rockeater,Frostgiant, Doomblade

Initial Bid:
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 01, 2019, 10:47:21 pm »

Design
Ch'if Fly Swarm [3 Dice] (1): MoP

Progress allocation

Black market Tech:
Rune stones (0):
Hyper-Relativity (0)
Atomomancy (4): Jerick, Rockeater,Frostgiant, Doomblade

Initial Bid:
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 01, 2019, 11:58:47 pm »

Hmm. Do we know if we can infrastructure on the new planets yet? If so, we should.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 02, 2019, 08:46:30 am »

We can this turn

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 03, 2019, 04:41:50 pm »

Maelstrom Launcher
[Time: 2 Progress: 3 Cost: 3]
The Maelstrom is a project created and progressed with great reserve, as several senior weavers question the decision to create even more of the same kind of malformed minds that power the spine launcher. They do not balk, they understand the gravity of their actions, but there is little enthusiasm in their work.

Maelstrom Launcher: 0/15 [2] |  45T + 230O + 95M + 65E | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 2]
The primary issue with the Maelstrom is one of timing. The basic functionality of the weapon is in place. The Launcher is capable of holding a small set of projectiles in reserve, and slowly regenerating more as needed. The launch system, while a little underpowered even relative to projections, is serviceable in its role. The raw strength of the maelstrom field generated by the projectiles, again while slightly undershooting the target in both range and raw power, is still more than capable of shredding missiles, torpedoes, and small craft. Unfortunately, the round has some issues with sensing and grasping higher velocity targets, and has greatly reduced capability against solid-state munitions and high-velocity projectiles.

The massive issue with the Maelstrom is the very limited duration of the field, and the fact that the projectiles aren't mentally capable of biding their time. Once fired, a projectile will activate with full force regardless of target availability, and burn out within a second or two. This flaw, combined with the time it takes to regenerate a projectile once the reserve is expended, means that while the Maelstrom can intercept a wave of projectiles when they are on closest approach, extended barrages will rapidly overwhelm its capacity. Currently, it's not well suited to sustained barrages, but could be used in a pinch to take the punch out of missile attacks at key moments.

Maelstrom Launcher: | 80T 575O 230M 250E 0S | Native to Large Mount | -30 Capacity | -25 Power | A large point defense area cannon, rail-launching a cluster of psionic minds that rip and tear everything in their area of effect. Unfortunately flawed, with a very long delay in regenerating new projectiles after the reserve has been expended, lower than expected power, area of effect, and velocity, as well as cripplingly limited duration of psionic effect and no ability for the minds to conserve their energy when there are no targets in their range. Can take the teeth out of burst barrages or heavy strikes when kept in the back pocket, but unsuitable for baseline point defense.

Veil Piercer Progress: 12/15 (3+3) - Clean Rush!

Revision Phase of Year 4
Resources
Dice: 2
T: 19322 + 2602
O: 1624+ 10044
M: 53155 + 9125
E: 30009 + 5379
S: 3902 + 500

Your black market bid of 10,000 is currently leading!

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)

Liiran Technology List
Liiran Empire Planner

Spoiler: Current Deployments (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27