Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27

Author Topic: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace  (Read 29295 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2018, 11:40:40 pm »

Laser Swarmers (3) Doomblade, Frostgiant, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2018, 03:04:33 am »

I'm not sure the laser swarmers will work out well. It seems too close to making the boarding appendages into a do-everything swiss army knife of a weapon system that can fit on a small mount. If I was GMing I wouldn't let my players away with that kind of thing easily and considering the potential complexities of upscaling a laser organ and mounting it on the end of the tentacles we'll need quite a dice roll for Draig to allow that on a revision. So here's something that is also complex but in my opinion far more likely to succeed and something the enemy likely won't have any defenses against.
Quote from: Mind Jammer Upgrade
Our work with psychic pulse organ has opened up a new possibility. The raw output of psychic power is dangerous and could well be weaponised. If we exclude the frequencies of thought occupied by our Liir crew and our bio constructs and blast all other frequencies with messages of pain and fear at high output using the pulse organ we can disrupt or harm the minds of living things. This effect is much shorter range compared to the considerable distance the scanner can cover due to the need for a high output to make it effective. But it should work against living minds at medium range, perhaps even long range. This effect is more disruptive to the psychically sensitive. With this, we will learn how to use the pulse organ to telepathically force pain and fear into the minds of any nearby who oppose us at regular intervals. This will make it harder for the enemy to focus on the complex tasks involved in operating a void swimmer and may even cause some of the more susciptible to freeze and be paralaysed by the effect.

Laser Swarmers (3); Doomblade, Frostgiant, Rockeater
Mind Jammer (1); Jerick

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2018, 04:21:38 am »

I did support this as an option and I don't have strong feelings on the laser, what I do think is that going to need a design to be effective

Laser Swarmers (2); Doomblade, Frostgiant
Mind Jammer (2); Jerick, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:03 am »

Laser Swarmers (1); Doomblade,
Mind Jammer (3); Jerick, Rockeater, Frostgiant

Seeing as hw I was voting for the Laser swarmers soley because i wanted to move the game along i'll switch to this so we don't have a tie.
We need an actual ranged weapon

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:07 am »

Laser Swarmers (1); Doomblade,
Mind Jammer (3); Jerick, Rockeater, Frostgiant, Blood Librarian,

if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2018, 07:40:52 pm »

Mind Jammer
[Efficacy: 2]
Hypothetically, the Mind Jammer is possible. However, we've only been able to test it with specimens from our own world- and even then the results have been mixed. A small percent, less than a twentieth, exhibited a clear response. Another fifth showed minor signs of psychic trauma, but the remainder seemed unaffected. The trick is in isolating psionic tones that will not effect our own kind, but will still have a grave effect against our foes- and, sadly, we have not yet found a strong psionic node that will service that ambition. Against a theoretical alien threat, we're not sure what level of effectiveness (if any) our modified psionic pulser will have. The bio-engineers in charge of the modification strongly recommend that it not be put into action until it can receive more attention and refinement. 

Our scientists estimate this revision might've been more effective if we'd had more understanding of the base Psychic Pulse Organ, instead of a preliminary model.

Mind Jammer: | 0T 120O 0M 50E 0S | Capacity: -8 | Power: -40 | A direct modification of the Psionic Pulse organ, the Mind Jammer is designed with a shorter range in mind- and a much more aggressive intent. Ideally, the Mind Jammer delivers psionic pulses that create fear, doubt, aggression, and pain in non-Liir life forms. Unfortunately, the efficacy is dubious at best, with only a quarter of test subjects showing any signs of psionic trauma.

Design Phase of Year -2

Advanced Bio-Modification has Auto-Completed
Val-Den Drone Warform has Auto-Completed

Resources
Dice: 10
T: 10000 + 2500
O: 30000 + 7500
M: 30000 + 7500
E: 20000 + 5000
S: 2000 + 500

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:38 pm »

is combat on turn 1? if so then many thinsg will be finished on turn 1 so that is good. if combat is turn 0 we need to invest many dice.
Tele organ will finish next turn
Regen hull plate will finish turn 0
Sublight turn 0
glow reactor is done turn 2, so we need to put a dice in next turn.
Sun eater will be finished will be finished... a while fcrom now (turn 2-3) put 2 dice in next turn.
nodes will be finished turn 0
pulse detection will need at least one dice next turn.
Regiment should not need dice by turn 1
neither should boarding appaendages.
So 4ish dice we need to put in next turn so everything is down by turn 1 (I think)

So we don't need to put dice in this turn.

EDIT: turn 1 combat. only need to put about 4-6 dice into Project next turn. not including we can rush whatever we start this turn.
I say a better boredrive (organic, and lesser capacity? only a swap to organic?
Plus a ranged weapon for the startships. I'm going to be voting for the Evil eye right now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:29:44 pm by frostgiant »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2018, 09:17:28 pm »

Advanced Synthetic Biology

Our last bio-modifiction research was aimed at grounding our innate ability to weave life withing science, and enhancing it through science. Now it's time to use it to enhance science. This research aims to refine the ability of the cells we weave to produce volatile and complex compounds, and their ability to convert these compounds to energy and composite materials.

Bore Drive Organic Conversion

Currently, our ships our reliant on the mechanical technology known as the Bore Drive. While it's perfectly serviceable, it's not alive, like the rest of our ships. We can fix this, though. By studying and understanding the operation of the bore drive, we can convert the drive into carefully grown organic components, eschewing primitive fasteners in favor of the fine structures of organic structure, converting the inefficient power systems into one that interfaces easily with the organic structures of the ship. The drive portion will be delicately grown with the finest life weaving and most careful bioengineering.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:42:23 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2018, 10:23:25 pm »

Spoiler:  Dechal HCB (click to show/hide)

Reposting the evil eye.
OWS - Evil eye of Ba’al
(Organic weapon system)

The evil eye was created as an industrial tool, meant for cutting heavy metal and Ultra-tough organic materials in construction and manufacturing. To do this heavy cutting work the eye of Ba’al Creates a beam in order to melt and cut the material in question.

This process is focused around a large sequence of specialized Organs, each of them the size of a Liir head. These organs all contain a set of Cells, created to have powerful fluorescent proteins; these proteins all serve as a gain medium for optical amplification. These Green Fluorescent Proteins combined with emitted light create a powerful laser that is visible to the naked Liir eye even when emitted from the individual cells. These beams look green because of the protein used as the medium.

The powerful Laser that these cells emit, is then concentrated by the organ that they are mounted inside in a dizzying array of Strand weaving skill. All of this power is then emitted from the tip of the organ as an even stronger and more coherent beam. The multitude of lasers that are being emitted from these specialized organs are then concentrated together once again through a series of lenses and reflective surfaces to ensure the resulting Final beam remains cohesive even as its released from the final lens of the weapon, ensuring the beams cutting power is fully concentrated into a single powerful beam and very little is lost before striking the target. The first design implementation of these converted industrial tools are expected to be mounted on small ship-based mountings as a weapon against enemies of the Liir Biocollective.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:29:30 pm by frostgiant »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2018, 12:56:38 am »

Advanced Synthetic Biology: (1) Doomblade
Bore Drive Organic Conversion: (1) Doomblade
Evil Eye: (1) Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2018, 12:00:33 pm »

Advanced Synthetic Biology: (2) Doomblade, Frostgaint
Bore Drive Organic Conversion: (2) Doomblade, Frostgiant
Evil Eye: (2) Doomblade, Frostgiant

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 16, 2018, 12:18:50 pm »

Advanced Synthetic Biology: (3) Doomblade, Frostgaint, Rockeater
Bore Drive Organic Conversion: (3) Doomblade, Frostgiant, Rockeater
Evil Eye: (3) Doomblade, Frostgiant, Rockeater
I hate we go Boring but practical with our ship weapon but I understand the need

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 16, 2018, 12:20:14 pm »

Frostgiant, could you add a note to the evil eye design that the laser is to be transferred to our infantry as well?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2018, 10:33:43 am »

Phasic Weaponry

Although plasma itself is so searingly hot that no known material, organic or otherwise can handle containing it, magnetic processes that are normally beyond our reach has been discovered to be replicatable by certain organic structures with a high metallic content, essentially allowing the chemical/ pseudo chemical processes that allow our ships to run to fuel an electrical/ piezo-electrical magnetic coil. This opens a huge category of weapons, from missiles, autocannons and tank esque cannons too certain types of laser and plasma weaponry.

The first weapon created using this process is "Phasic" weaponry, Where a bolt of plasma is generated, magnetically contained into an astronomically thin case of magnetically charged pseudo-organic quartz and sent towards the enemy at incredible speeds with what amounts to be a coil gun.

In effect, bolts of plasma are able to be launched at the enemy, focussed like a ballistic weapon with the lethality of plasma that is resistant to dispersion caused by kinetic impact and atmospheric air resistance.

The first generation of Phasic weaponry is expected to not be man-portable short of extremely heavy weaponry, but it could be mounted on medium or heavy vehicles with some difficulty. It is mostly intended as a weapon of the stars.

The process of generating, and magnetically containing/launching the plasma is handled by specially designed organs. Each weapon module has incorporated radiation shielding to prevent exposure to the other areas of the ship from plasma exposure..

Advanced Synthetic Biology: (3) Doomblade, Frostgaint, Rockeater
Bore Drive Organic Conversion: (3) Doomblade, Frostgiant, Rockeater
Evil Eye: (3) Doomblade, Frostgiant, Rockeater

Advanced Synthetic Biology, Bore Drive Organic Conversion, Phasic weaponry: (1): Blood_Librarian
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:28:32 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2018, 11:52:48 am »

Hmm.

Phasic Weaponry Detail Design

The magnetic bottle generated by the cells in the plasma organ holds the plasma in place before a two-part solution is injected into the loading chamber. The two part solution is also shaped by the magnetic bottle, and when the two parts combine, they  solidify into a crystalline magnetic container. This container is then shunted forward into the firing chamber, where it is fired as a coilgun projectile.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27