Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace  (Read 29282 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2018, 06:02:58 am »

Iw ould pefer we build the drones before we build the carrier, but I cannot hope to really convince anyone at htis point.
Well the drones are more drone ships than things carried by the Node carrier. If I understand things right the slightly confusingly named Node Carrier only really carries a telepathic nexus and is thus a CnC vessel. The drones are to be fully fledged corvette class, bore-drive equipped ships. The fact that they contain no space for crew what so ever should make them massively space efficient. But due to their unmanned nature they are useless without a CnC vessel but the CnC vessel might be able to do things by itself so it stands to reason that we'd make it first.

That aside I'm going to need to talk about our overspending of dice on projects. What adding a dice does is it rerolls that category and takes the best result. How many dice we have determine how many projects and revisions we do. Or in other words how fast we develop technologically.  When rolling in any of these categories we want a +3 generally speaking and with the way Draig handles dice rolls (1d4+2d2-2 instead of a straight d6) we will get a +3 75% of the time (as opposed to about 64% of the time on regular d6 rolls). I worry that by over investing in projects we are getting outpaced by our rivals before the game even begins. The investing of extra dice is a risk reward mechanic, if we chose to invest more dice we take less risk but have less dice. Unfortunately considering how critical failures and successes are much less likely with this dice system I find it hard to justify investing so much dice into projects.  We shouldn't be sinking five dice into anything unless it's going to be a massive mega project like a giant orbital death laser.

Quote from: Votes
Design Document
5 Dice in Glorrigal battleform, 4 in Star-Dust, 1 for Revision (1) :Blood_librarian
5 Dice in Node Frigate-Carrier (progress, time), 4 Dice in Sun-Eater (time), 1 for revision (3): Doomblade, Frostgiant, Blood_librarian
3 Dice in Node Frigate-Carrier, 3 Dice in Sun-Eater, 3 Dice in Val'den Corvette, 1 for revision (1): Jerick

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2018, 11:02:01 am »

Fair enough.

Design Document
5 Dice in Glorrigal battleform, 4 in Star-Dust, 1 for Revision (0) :
5 Dice in Node Frigate-Carrier (progress, time), 4 Dice in Sun-Eater (time), 1 for revision (2): Doomblade, Frostgiant
3 Dice in Node Frigate-Carrier, 3 Dice in Sun-Eater, 3 Dice in Val'den Corvette, 1 for revision (2): Jerick, Blood_librarian
[/quote]
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2018, 03:52:58 pm »

Design Document
5 Dice in Glorrigal battleform, 4 in Star-Dust, 1 for Revision (0) :
5 Dice in Node Frigate-Carrier (progress, time), 4 Dice in Sun-Eater (time), 1 for revision (1): Doomblade, 
3 Dice in Node Command Frigate, 3 Dice in Sun-Eater, 3 Dice in Val'den Corvette, 1 for revision (3): Jerick, Blood_librarian, Frostgiant

I'm perfectly Ok with either plan, and I don't want us to get stuck in a tie so I'll switch my vote to this plan. and Jerick makes a valid point. Also I did kinda mangle The name for the node, Is everyone alright if I just back edit it to Be Command Frigate instead of Frigate carrier.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:56:12 pm by frostgiant »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2018, 03:56:43 pm »

I wouldn't be against it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2018, 04:00:02 pm »

I'm okay with it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2018, 01:39:08 am »

Node class Command Frigate
[Time: 3 Progress: 3 Cost: 3]
The form of the small vessel is unchallenging, but also uninspiring. The growth of its seed population moves at an even, though somewhat lackluster pace. Still, it is a simple problem for us, and should be solved soon.

Node class Command Frigate: 0/8 [2] | 175O + 50M + 100E | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 2]
The first of its breed are similarly uninspiring creatures. While they were never designed to be able to outgun a vessel, the available positions to mount significant weaponry are limited. Her native armor is thick over vital systems, but the jointing is sub-par and presents weakness where fire can easily slip through and damage the structure of the vessel itself- although only in non-critical sections. Her capacity, though sizeable for a ship of her size, comes at the cost of making her ungainly, high massed, and difficult to maneuver when hypothetical engines are added.

The resulting vessel is functional, but sluggish and weaker than expected.

Node class Command Frigate: |  680O 120M 200E | A horseshoe shaped vessel, designed for mission capacity and survival rather than direct combat potential. Unfortunately, her native armor, while thick for her class, has issues at the edges. It serves to protect key areas, but can be frighteningly weak and allow structural damage in non-essential areas. In addition, her bulk makes her sluggish to respond, and the lack of good points to mount thrusters means that she'll likely always be a bit slow to react and maneuver.
3 Small Hardpoints
1 Medium Hardpoint
90 Capacity

Sun eater Class biological fabricator
[Time: 3 Progress: 3 Cost: 3]
The sun-eater is a fascinating problem, and one that we have good traction against, but also one that presents considerable difficulties and resistance. Life in deep space is always an issue, but something as gossamer and fragile as the the sun-eater's extremities... It's a fascinating problem, but a tricky one.

Sun eater Class biological fabricator: 0/15 [2] | 250O + 50M + 250E + 20S | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 4]
The final iteration of the sun-eater is... magnificent. Adult organism can reach a membrane area of nearly 10 square kilometers before their circulatory system can no longer support growth. While the membranes are incredibly delicate, and easily torn by high velocity space debris, the creature's shear size and ready access to raw bio-matter and enormous energy reserves allow it to regenerate from such minor damage without experiencing any real harm.

The amount of mass gained from capturing space detritus in its tendrils is minor, and while chemical breakdown is possible, it's a pittance against the ravenous appetite of the creature. For that, enormous shipments of raw material need to be sent to the creatures on a regular basis, providing the building blocks of life. It doesn't need these shipments to survive- it can go dormant potentially for years and live off nothing but light and dust- but rather it needs them to produce 'milk'.

Embedded within the creature are a series of organs containing a synthetic meta-material that, when properly powered, can be used to create a highly energetic and recombinant slurry of organic matter. With only a trivial amount of work, this slurry can be re-purposed for nearly any project- from food production to advanced polymers to feeding nascent bio-ships.

Despite this good effect, we do expect... issues. While the facilities for the launch and receipt of the required materials and desired products are located on the surface, the sun-eaters themselves operate in space. While they are regenerative creatures, they are quite defenseless and could be destroyed easily by enemy vessels, necessitating their re-growth to continue operations. 

Sun eater Class biological fabricator: | 0T 200O 60M 50E 15S * Planet Size per rank. 5 Ranks | Vast spaceborne organisms, designed to capture solar energy and use it to transmute base materials delivered from other astral bodies into a rich, raw, organic substrate using specialized internal organs seeded with synthetic materials. The sun-eaters themselves can be discovered and destroyed by in-system combat, and will have to be regrown if destroyed. Increases Organic accessibility of a planet by 3% per rank.

Val’Den Drone Warform (Corvette)
[Time: 4 Progress: 5 Cost: 4]
The Val'Den serves a noble purpose- to reduce the lives lost in war. While it itself is a life, it is a life designed for a singular purpose. Much as the body will sacrifice countless cells to save the whole, these beings are designed to be sacrificed to save all of the Collective. This importance is not lost on the designers, who work tirelessly to ensure the project will be ready at a good speed.

Val’Den Drone Warform: 0/6 [3] | 130O + 25M + 75E | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 3]
With no need of crew compartment or extraneous space, the Val'Den is a corvette with an opportunity to take many roles. Her light weaponry will limit the effect she can have against larger vessels unless specialized, but the ability to re-work her internals to accommodate a much wider array of components will give her an advantage in punching at her own weight, and perhaps a bit above.

The basic mind of the vessel, however, is... disappointing. Without careful direction, the vessel is basically worthless. Too much of the sea-worm that it was built from remains within it, and it will only engage its weapons defensively before retreating if not compelled otherwise. Its body, though capable, is also retains a certain amount of organic fragility and its basic mind will strain against control when damaged. It cannot break free, nor does it 'want' to, but it will make it more difficult to communicate with while in pain.

Val’Den Drone Warform (Corvette):  | 0T 200O 70M 40E 0S |
Never designed to be manned, the Val'Den is, essentially, a space-faring eel with a pair of short longitudinal fins designed to carry subsystems and weapons. A built-in telepathic organ allows control from a distance, which is absolutely necessary to maintain combat performance. When not controlled, the Val'Den betrays is origins as an ocean dwelling worm, and will attempt to run and hide from combat. Somewhat fragile in its basic form, damage will cause the telepathic link to become more difficult as the basic mind of the creature reacts to the damage. That being said, her lack of need for crew amenities means that she's heavily gunned for a corvette, and with nearly as much capacity as a light frigate.
Specs:
4 Small Hardpoints
60 Capacity

Revision Phase of Year -4

Resources
Dice: 1
T: 5000 + 2500
O: 15000 + 7500
M: 1500 + 7500
E: 10000 + 5000
S: 1000 + 500

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2018, 11:31:11 am »

Bio-Electric Turbine

Currently, the Thorium Gloria Reactor is funtional, but its form is undesirable. The reactor is overly large due to a need to large amounts of power with insufficient efficiency. An alternative conversion channel is composed: the power cells are modified to conduct electricity across the cells walls. The conversion channel is modified such that the radioactive slurry flows through a series of small channels, adding up to a motion that turns the inner layer of power cells. This harnesses the natural generative properties of electromagnetic interaction on a small scale within a series of outer generative layers. In addition, these cells channel heat along their conductive cell walls, using biopolymer composite molecules to maximize conductive efficiency. This heat is channeled throughout the ship to provide the heating needed for the vessel.

First draft.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2018, 11:37:29 am »

The Breach
Something Profound.
--Unknown

The Breach is a modification and revision to the Thorium Glow Reactor. The intended goal of the project was to decrease the size that the Glow would take on a ship by reducing it's radioactive impact on the ship, requiring less radiation shielding for the rest of the ship, as well as the implementation of a slightly more effective neutron barrier through the use of Osmium/Lead alloyed plates.

The radioactive chamber of the Glow is changed into a cylindrical space, filled with molten waste material from which the thorium is floated and spun, Allowing the same amount of Thorium to irradiate a larger space; This paradoxical configuration allows more surface area for the heat-sinks and conversion materials with the same amount of support infrastructure, which ultimately lead to less radiation leaking out of the chamber (requiring less shielding.) This allows our reactor to keep to the same or possibly better power production due to the possibility of higher thorium densities in the same area allows by the more thorough absorption of the charged particles to be absorbed into a usable form by the rest of the ship.

The plates themselves are a distinct modification from the previous incarnation of simple, inorganic metal plates that act as a shielding. They are in a scale-like configuration, and they shift and move, expanding or compressing the chamber depending on the needs of the reactor and the ship, allowing for a more efficient radiation shielding set up.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:58:52 am by Blood_Librarian »

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2018, 12:20:12 pm »

Revision Phase

Bio-electric turbine (0):

The Breach (1): Frostgiant,

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »

Revision Phase

The Breach (2): Frostgiant, Jerick

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2018, 12:26:09 pm »

Revision Phase

The Breach (3): Frostgiant, Jerick, Doomblade

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2018, 02:24:53 pm »

Hivers backroom dealing, We seem to currently be planning to wait a day then announce it on the discord in public.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »

OWS - Evil eye of Ba’al
(Organic weapon system)

The evil eye was created as an industrial tool, meant for cutting heavy metal and Ultra-tough organic materials in construction and manufacturing. To do this heavy cutting work the eye of Ba’al Creates a beam in order to melt and cut the material in question.

This process is focused around a large sequence of specialized Organs, each of them the size of a Liir head. These organs all contain a set of Cells, created to have powerful fluorescent proteins; these proteins all serve as a gain medium for optical amplification. These Green Fluorescent Proteins combined with emitted light create a powerful laser that is visible to the naked Liir eye even when emitted from the individual cells. These beams look green because of the protein used as the medium.

The powerful Laser that these cells emit, is then concentrated by the organ that they are mounted inside in a dizzying array of Strand weaving skill. All of this power is then emitted from the tip of the organ as an even stronger and more coherent beam. The multitude of lasers that are being emitted from these specialized organs are then concentrated together once again through a series of lenses and reflective surfaces to ensure the resulting Final beam remains cohesive even as its released from the final lens of the weapon, ensuring the beams cutting power is fully concentrated into a single powerful beam and very little is lost before striking the target. The first design implementation of these converted industrial tools are expected to be mounted on small ship-based mountings as a weapon against enemies of the Liir Biocollective.

Draft 2 for a Biolaser for next turn. We really need a weapon system. It should be scalable for infantry and ground combat.
EDIT: Draft 3 after Blood's Feedback. I would like to thank him for the feedback.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:14:11 pm by frostgiant »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2018, 04:41:54 pm »

I feel like I don't like the Evil Eye of Ba'al, so I'm gonna go sentence by sentence and see what I can critique.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2018, 03:40:22 pm »

Proposed diplomatic statement:

A Song of Revealing

Fellow lifeforms, we bring with us an unfortunate revelation. [We] is plotting against the galactic peace. In the past span, our embassies have received not one, but two offers of alliance- not for the common good, but for genocide of the human species. We have attached the diplomatic communiques. We reveal this in the name of honesty and peace, that we may grow and learn as an interstellar community.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:49:54 pm by Doomblade187 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27