Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread  (Read 46521 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

The real conspiracy isn't JFK, the moon landing, flat earth, nor 9/11.

The real conspiracy is why the hell don't they sell hot dogs with an equal amount of hot dog buns?
Buns come in packs of 8 or 12, but the hot dogs themselves come in packs of 10. This inevitably results in either a stray bun that goes stale or a hot dog left with no appropriate holder!

The Wiener Zaibatsu and the Bun Cartels have joined in an unholy alliance to keep society down I tells ya!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

Well. This is unfortunate. You have found us out. We will have to laugh at your suggestion snidely and make 'they're crazy' gestures behind your back. Because that is legit the best defense of a conspiracy.

No Elimination Squad. No mind control. None of that. Just plain mean gossip is the most effective tool in our arsenal.

Ahem. *chuckles snidely, makes crazy gesture*
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The real conspiracy is why the hell don't they sell hot dogs with an equal amount of hot dog buns?
Buns come in packs of 8 or 12, but the hot dogs themselves come in packs of 10. This inevitably results in either a stray bun that goes stale or a hot dog left with no appropriate holder!

Well, jumbo hot dogs do generally come in packs of 8, but a 1-pound pack of standard 1.6 oz franks will naturally have 10, and people are used to buying meat by the pound. Buns, meanwhile, are most readily cooked in 1x4 trays, so you get either 2 or 3 trays, and thus 8 or 12 buns, in a pack.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

There's a secret... You see, some of us, a chosen few members invited into an ancient society...

We will occasionally double-dog.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urge. To. Make. Chinese restaurant. Racist. Joke. Rising.

We sell ten and eight packages of both dogs and buns at the store I work at IIRC so. Sometimes it's not that way.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

In Norway, the traditional accompaniment is actually a small, flexible flatbread made from potato flour. A potatortilla, if you will.

These come in extremely space-efficient packagings with any number of tater (why is that accepted by my spellchecker?) pancakes inside.

They still don't equal the number of hot dogs in hot dog packages though.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:38:37 pm by dragdeler »
let

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

...If you've got packets of 8 hotdogs, packets of 12 hotdogs, and packets of 10 buns, you only need to buy one of each size of hotdog packet along with two packets of buns, and you'll have an even 20-20.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...If you've got packets of 8 hotdogs, packets of 12 hotdogs, and packets of 10 buns, you only need to buy one of each size of hotdog packet along with two packets of buns, and you'll have an even 20-20.

Math and overconsumption, motherfuckers.

FTFY

New topic to consider. Cryptids.
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cryptids.

Cryptids are a fine excuse to go for a walk in the woods or spend a day fishing, and cryptid hunters are among my favorite alt-reality believers -- at least until they decide to trespass or litter.

It's a pity about the name, though. Cryptic species are an entirely sensible thing to study, although they're more normally organisms unrecognized as a distinct species rather than outright unknown, but we can't call that cryptobiology because that means looking for Bigfoot now.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile

Finding Bigfoot had been on the air for 100 episodes. How did it last that long without ever finding Bigfoot?!?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quite frankly the concept that there is some thing like Bigfoot that exists espicilly in america somehow totally undiscovered is laughably ridiculous.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

More to the point, I'm sure this has been said in this thread in various ways but brevity ftw:

Does your pet idea exist to explain something strange you observed, or something strange you want to observe?

Case in point: when I used to get high regularly I noticed the kittens would gravitate to me as though I were emitting some sort of cat attracting nonsense. This sensation was intensified because of the soothing buzz in the back of my head which made it feel like I was actually drawing cats towards me.

Is it more likely that I've actually got some amazing ability to call cats without taking any action while stoned...

or

Is it more likely that the kittens noticed I would kinda zone out and provide a warm calming thing to sit on which periodically stroked their fur?

One option requires a whole new set of explanations for additional phenomena, and only seems worthwhile if you want those additional phenomena to exist.

As for conspiracy theories, I'm from Dallas, we've all got some jfk bug in our brains, accordingly: there is a storm drain which had a clear view of people in the rightmost seats as they drove by. If I was going to take a shot at someone I'd want someone down there who could then crawl down the drain to a nearby ditch and escape.

Why is this not pointed out more? From older pictures it seems the drains were there well before the 60's, and when you stand on the spot where it happened the drain is right there in clear view!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the JFK thing is the #1 most popular conspiracy idea in the USA. Current polling is that 60%+ don't believe the official version. The peak was over 80%, which occurred in the late 1970s after the whole Church Committee hearings exposed a ton of dirty CIA and FBI stuff (all the MKUltra and Cointelpro stuff, among many other things).

Bigfoot? Telepathy? Flat Earth? seriously that's stuff's so boring to read about compared to provably real things such as MKUltra and COINTELPRO.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:02:46 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The one ironic thing about Project MKUltra is that it was undertaken to invent mind-control drugs or machines, on the basis of the belief that the Soviets and Chinese had already done so, and had deployed the "technology" in North Korea. Which turned out to be just a baseless conspiracy theory itself. e.g. the real conspiracy was spurred on by the desire to replicate the "results" of the fake conspiracy.

In fact, the North Koreans etc just used old-fashioned persuasion techniques coupled with things like Stockholm Syndrome. The post-war 1950s however was rife with conspiracy beliefs such as UFOs, comic-book supervillains, and high-tech explanations/inventions for this-and-that however so it never occurred to them to look for more reasonable explanations of North Korean indoctrination than mind-control machines and super-drugs.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:11:14 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37