Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread  (Read 46348 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories: The Wake Up, Sheeple! Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2018, 06:56:50 pm »

There was a guy in this forum who was utterly convinced he had a radio transmitter in his teeth
Specific weird interactions with fillings can turn them into receivers but not transmitters. Still strange.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2018, 06:57:30 pm »

There was a guy in this forum who was utterly convinced he had a radio transmitter in his teeth
Specific weird interactions with fillings can turn them into receivers but not transmitters. Still strange.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143935.msg5674355#msg5674355
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2018, 07:03:24 pm »

He just wanted a white noise source installed in his mouth for bone conduction, OK? Is that so wrong!?  (LOLOLOL)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:42 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143935.msg5674355#msg5674355
Yeah, kinda sounds like it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2018, 03:17:21 pm »

Alright time for a topic. Flat Earth. Discuss.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2018, 03:45:32 pm »

That just means shadows and the horizon are in on it too. What's their angle?

sorry

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2018, 03:55:33 pm »

GMOs. Good or bad? Personally I think ALL food is GMO because of selective breeding and such so it doesn't matter to me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2018, 03:56:43 pm »

Demonstrably false by... shadows. The horizon. Et cetera.

They get around that not by denying the evidence, but by having custom physics.

"Bent light" is the most useful tool in this arsenal.

e.g. say you claim light is affected by gravity, then light would curve towards Earth over long distances, explaining the horizon. Also, the difference in angle between two shadows at different latitudes can be explained because light from the sun at two locations will be bent towards the vertical: e.g. the angle between light rays will be less than it should, given the distance to the sun. This way, "bent light" explains that the sun is actually much closer than it would appear to be by shadow evidence, if light wasn't bent.

"Bent light" therefore also explains why the sun and moon appear to rise and set: the light from the sun and moon are merely bent into the Earth if it's too far away.

Another "bent light" theory is that the atmosphere differentially refracts light according to the density of air, similar to a pencil dipped in water appearing bent. As you rise up in the air, the light from further away is refracted more than the light from closer-in, making the Earth appear curved away from you. So they can even explain-away orbital photographs with this new physics.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:15:56 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2018, 04:10:58 pm »

GMOs. Good or bad? Personally I think ALL food is GMO because of selective breeding and such so it doesn't matter to me.
GMOs are neither good nor bad any more then any tool is good or bad. The issue is the misuse of them by some groups that have detrimental effects on the society.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2018, 05:09:29 pm »

Aren't companies like Monsanto doing that with non-GMO seeds already? I remember watching a documentary about that, but I may have goofed and mixed it together with the GMO practices.

It was my understanding that a lot of commercial farmers really just don't own their own crops. Strict contract laws stating how you can or can't plant them, when and how to harvest, what to do with seeds etc., as well as end clauses that effectively entrap them into renewing the same seed contracts.

EDIT: There was some study or tidbit about something having to do with conspiracy theories...  Not specifically related, but having to do with the same general kind of thinking.

Can't remember what it was now. May have just been and article I read in a dream, my dreams can be boring like that...

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2018, 05:23:27 pm »

Aren't companies like Monsanto doing that with non-GMO seeds already? I remember watching a documentary about that, but I may have goofed and mixed it together with the GMO practices.

It was my understanding that a lot of commercial farmers really just don't own their own crops. Strict contract laws stating how you can or can't plant them, when and how to harvest, what to do with seeds etc., as well as end clauses that effectively entrap them into renewing the same seed contracts.
Basically large companies like Monsanto are shitty (surprising absolutely no one) and will create the situation which creates the most profit for them. In this case that is a monopoly on agricultural supplies. Unsurprisingly the farmers get the short end of that stick as they have no power over there own livelihood and no stability, as a side not the suicide rate for farmers is shockingly high. Add that to the awful nature of US agriculture focused on factory farms and that advantages large companies and farmers get shafted even more.

Also from talking to on of my friends who knows something about some of the issues with US agriculture GMO crops have been horribly abused to over cultivate in unstable ways for short term profit. Stuff like the over use of weedkillers and weedkiller resistant crops that is handled properly would last forever but are overused for short term profit leading to the creation of resistant weeds. Also an over reliance on artificial fertilizers creating the dual problems of runoff and depleted soils due to farming practices. Also we are apparently going to run out of some of the nessisary ingredients for artificial fertilizers due to over use so fun times ahead. Long story short US farming is totally captured by big agribusiness and is unsustainable. This leads to heavy misuse of GMOs and other bad farming practices that are going to come back and bite us later. The farmers caught in the middle are just sort of fucked. Have I mentioned by searing hatred for large and overly powerful companies?

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned how massive corn subsidies lead to super bugs and many other issues.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 05:30:35 pm by redwallzyl »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2018, 05:41:37 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2018, 05:50:18 pm »

Unsurprisingly the farmers get the short end of that stick as they have no power over there own livelihood and no stability, as a side not the suicide rate for farmers is shockingly high. Add that to the awful nature of US agriculture focused on factory farms and that advantages large companies and farmers get shafted even more.

Whoa there, WTF are you talking about? I live in a major farming region (and work for several farmers), and I do not recognize anything either of you are talking about.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 37