Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread  (Read 46508 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories:The One-ended Stick Thread
« Reply #270 on: June 04, 2018, 01:11:32 pm »

So what you're saying is that Shaq on par with Cthulhu?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 04, 2018, 01:53:47 pm »

It's kinda hilarious how people end up thinking that alternate universe shenanigans are more likely than... memories sometimes being inaccurate.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 04, 2018, 02:17:51 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:41:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 04, 2018, 02:28:14 pm »

It's kinda hilarious how people end up thinking that alternate universe shenanigans are more likely than... memories sometimes being inaccurate.

Well, the one involves the theorist being less than mentally perfect, the other everyone else being on some level wrong. Which do you think the average conspiracy theorist would rather believe?

And, further, the alternate universe explanation is a perfect last-ditch escape hatch. Maybe the theorist really did come from a world with reptilians space Illuminati mimes or something; certainly no one in this universe could gainsay him.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 04, 2018, 02:38:21 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:41:10 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2018, 02:50:06 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:41:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2018, 03:43:20 pm »

I dont really understand the last post
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 04, 2018, 03:50:19 pm »

Just be on the lookout for any breaking news involving package bombs
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2018, 06:36:07 pm »

I left for one fucking day and you guys turned dragdeler into the next Unabomber. Dafuq.

More seriously, I think we're making some interesting psychological observations about CTs and their believers, because we are smart and flawless and know much better than everyone else.

(I said more seriously, not completely serious)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 04, 2018, 10:19:22 pm »

Anyone ever read Max Tegmark's Four levels? It's a taxonomy, under the multiverse theory, an attempted one, at least.
Occam's Razor also comes to mind.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2018, 10:29:45 pm »

Anyone ever read Max Tegmark's Four levels? It's a taxonomy, under the multiverse theory, an attempted one, at least.

Occam's Razor would suggest that, as a whole other universe in heretofore undetectable communication with ours requires more assumptions than the provable fallibility of recollection,the latter is more likely a priori. Similarly, Newton's Flaming Laser Sword would suggest that as the existence of hypothetical other universes we cannot detect is inherently unfalsifiable via experiment, there's no point debating it.

Not that pointlessness ever stopped philosophers, of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 04, 2018, 10:42:57 pm »

Life is pointless, so the exercise of philosophy must necessarily tolerate pointlessness~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 04, 2018, 11:20:44 pm »

Occam's Razor would suggest that, as a whole other universe in heretofore undetectable communication with ours requires more assumptions than the provable fallibility of recollection,the latter is more likely a priori. Similarly, Newton's Flaming Laser Sword would suggest that as the existence of hypothetical other universes we cannot detect is inherently unfalsifiable via experiment, there's no point debating it.

Not that pointlessness ever stopped philosophers, of course.

I may be misremembering, but I recall reading something to the effect that there was some very small, limited data from the particle physics world that there might be parallel universes.

However, I agree with the laser-sword assertion. Without some sane experiment, you are just discussing how many angels can dance on a pinhead.  If any evidence exists, it is indirect (and thus could be misinterpretation, rather than de-facto evidence).  To my knowledge, it is still not possible to directly test for the existence of a parallel universe, and consequently, to interact with one. (making the whole exercise moot.) If a means to directly test for such a thing existed, it would be headline news.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 04, 2018, 11:58:05 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:40:55 pm by dragdeler »
let

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 05, 2018, 10:31:45 am »

Well, my job here as far as telepathy is concerned is pretty much done. All I ever wanted was to bring us to the conclusion that it cannot be disproven nor proven, instead of the couriered academic stance that a soul that even brings up telepathy is ill, or insane.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37