Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 55

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia: Gameover. The Smoke! It's In The Smoke! Was It Worth It?  (Read 91950 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia(11/11): Day 1: Evil's Afoot!
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2018, 09:54:22 am »

For all that, though, my vote right now is BlackHeartKabal:
You're practically lurking, or should I say lurking practically? Policy lynching the miller is an easy way to appear present without committing yourself to personal interaction.

I just said that I see potentially scummy things in TricMagic's posts. Can you persuade me that they really are scummy, enough so to get me to change my vote?
So, a D1 Miller claim being, as you admitted, a policy lynch isn't enough for you? Then no persuading on my end would convince me to lynch what comes off as your partner here anyway. I don't see any other reason someone, from your position, would ignore that.
Well then, BHK makes a point. You will die at some point, the earlier the better.

However, D1 lynch, in my opinion, needs to be informative. The only information we get from lynching TricMagic is whether or not he was lying. Not good enough.

If we have a vigilante or something, they can shoot him. If he’s alive tomorrow, we lynch him then.
Here I was thinking that this would be more open and shut. It's a miller. The entire point of a miller is that their quality impedes the town by giving a false positive to mechanical investigations. Because of this, miller is an amazing claim for scum because it, again, gives them an impenetrable excuse for their alignment flickering red to any cop that happens to stop by.

If he's scum - investigate pops red.
If he's miller - investigate pops red.

You see how that works? We literally can't confirm what they are unless we kill them or the game ends, because of the uncertainty that being a miller forces. They're an anomaly, and they're the most dangerous anomaly to leave alive for the end, especially since we don't even have a confirmation of the number of mafia or thirds.
I'm not one for D1's chaos, so of course something as important to pursue as a miller claim would be important to me. Because that miller offers certainty. It's certainty of uncertainty, yes, but it's still certainty. It's outright the most optimal move for anyone with a town wincon to make. To the point that I believe that anyone not pursuing this is either not thinking optimally, or doesn't have a town wincon. If I have to die for the town to start putting the miller and their defenders to the wall, then very well. Just because we aren't taking the current best plan doesn't mean we can't take the best plan for the next change in situation.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2018, 10:00:10 am »

@ IcyTea: Actually Fallacy confirmed no hammers. But it hadn't been certain at the time, so fair enough, I guess.

BHK's post just popped up, I'll get back to you.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2018, 10:01:37 am »

It's outright the most optimal move for anyone with a town wincon to make. To the point that I believe that anyone not pursuing this is either not thinking optimally, or doesn't have a town wincon.
The optimal move is to hunt down and lynch a mafioso. A miller is a decent candidate for that, but leaving all other scumhunting aside for it is a bad move.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2018, 10:04:53 am »

The optimal move is to hunt down and lynch a mafioso. A miller is a decent candidate for that
Yes.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2018, 10:27:07 am »

I'm going to sit back and watch for now. Lets see where this goes.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2018, 10:29:28 am »

Last time I checked, sitting back and watching was scummy. Not an accusation, just a thought.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2018, 10:50:35 am »

Last time I checked, sitting back and watching was scummy. Not an accusation, just a thought.

You've been gone far too long moony. Give us your list at least.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2018, 10:52:53 am »

BHK,
So now I'm a scum partner because of an oversight to which I openly admit?
I am not ignoring the claim, I am prodding people on why it wasn't important enough to them to defend their vote with.

but leaving all other scumhunting aside for it is a bad move.
Yes.

I grasp the mechanics. What I want to know is whether you offer anything beyond the mechanics.
It's increasingly clear that you do not. You do not even show an interest in parsing anything else that TricMagic has posted.

In the same way that I'm calling out other people for not using the miller claim to make their case stronger, I'm calling you out for not making your case as strong as it could possibly be.

How am I supposed to evaluate your performance as town-aligned when you declare the mechanics an absolute test? There's nothing about you or your role in that.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2018, 02:11:46 pm »

Right.

hector13: Town. Not as active as I'd expect, but that doesn't mean much.
Starver: Null. The asking to visit is odd, but that could mean anything.
blueturtle1134: Slight town. They aren't scum, I feel, and there isn't much against them.
TricMagic: Miller, huh?
IcyTea31: Null. They have observations, but nothing conclusive.
juicebox: Scum. I'd probably vote them, if not for Tric's miller claim.
MoonyTheHuman: Null. Maybe a bit lurky.
mightymushroom: Strong town. Very involved.
darkwarlock3: Null. Not a lot to work with, huh?
Maximum Spin: Town. They're focused on scumhunting, and would probably be a good choice to take charge of things.

I'm not one for the chaos of Day 1, but Tric's behavior tells me that they're a good D1 lynch, and we do need some info.

For all that, though, my vote right now is BlackHeartKabal:
You're practically lurking, or should I say lurking practically? Policy lynching the miller is an easy way to appear present without committing yourself to personal interaction.

I just said that I see potentially scummy things in TricMagic's posts. Can you persuade me that they really are scummy, enough so to get me to change my vote?
So, a D1 Miller claim being, as you admitted, a policy lynch isn't enough for you? Then no persuading on my end would convince me to lynch what comes off as your partner here anyway. I don't see any other reason someone, from your position, would ignore that.

You said earlier that MM was strong town in your reads list, and from this quote he now appears to be your top scumpick outside of voting for a claimed Miller, correct?

Well then, BHK makes a point. You will die at some point, the earlier the better.

However, D1 lynch, in my opinion, needs to be informative. The only information we get from lynching TricMagic is whether or not he was lying. Not good enough.

If we have a vigilante or something, they can shoot him. If he’s alive tomorrow, we lynch him then.
Here I was thinking that this would be more open and shut. It's a miller. The entire point of a miller is that their quality impedes the town by giving a false positive to mechanical investigations. Because of this, miller is an amazing claim for scum because it, again, gives them an impenetrable excuse for their alignment flickering red to any cop that happens to stop by.

If he's scum - investigate pops red.
If he's miller - investigate pops red.

You see how that works? We literally can't confirm what they are unless we kill them or the game ends, because of the uncertainty that being a miller forces. They're an anomaly, and they're the most dangerous anomaly to leave alive for the end, especially since we don't even have a confirmation of the number of mafia or thirds.
I'm not one for D1's chaos, so of course something as important to pursue as a miller claim would be important to me. Because that miller offers certainty. It's certainty of uncertainty, yes, but it's still certainty. It's outright the most optimal move for anyone with a town wincon to make. To the point that I believe that anyone not pursuing this is either not thinking optimally, or doesn't have a town wincon. If I have to die for the town to start putting the miller and their defenders to the wall, then very well. Just because we aren't taking the current best plan doesn't mean we can't take the best plan for the next change in situation.

Y'see, this is why I'm voting you right now.

Tric softed his Miller claim in literally the very first post a player made in the game - probably the optimum play for a Miller, by the way - and... you seem to think that's enough for D1?

'cause, I mean, you've made six posts: a carbon copy of IcyTea's reads, then the rest saying the death of Tric should be our top priority. No effort to find Tric's partner if he's fakeclaiming (a bold fakeclaim in your fifth mafia game and first on a new forum, unless he's fibbing) or any other scum if he's not, so I don't understand why you've voted to extend if you're not particularly interested in finding someone else to vote for.

Moony: Why are you lurking and not taking part?

blueturtle: Why are you active lurking and not taking part? :P well that's not fair... you said earlier you were gonna look things over and see if anything jumped out at you. What did you find?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 28, 2018, 02:42:49 pm »

Haven't gotten enough time to spend on this game. RL stuff is busy.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2018, 03:07:44 pm »

If day is not extended (which someone said they would, personally, even if the group-vote doesn't work) I think there's an hour left. If Central/Forum time is +6+DST (my 'Forum time' is UTC/GMT, it seems, I haven't even changed it to BST it seems). I've really not much to audibly add, and I'm half wondering what others have in mind that require the extension.

But, right now, the big question is whether I'm happy to let it go into RVS-lynch (which I dislike) or let it go and see what night does to us (which isn't optimal, but is going to happen anyway, even if the RVS lands on one of the Scumteam - it might mean we enter night having lucked on picking up an SK/Cult Leader/whatever in our day-noose, but you know the chances of that are minimal while Town-aligned are a majority and nobody but scum/masons/lovers has any possibility of knowing anything about the random target).

Assuming, for the moment, you've got that hour...  now 55 minutes, left, what do you think we could still do? What more could you do with the Extend that I'm anticipating happening (either way)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2018, 03:09:06 pm »

(Above question @everyone, not Blue or anyone specifically.)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2018, 03:15:22 pm »

For me, it is certainly Vote: Warlock. He hasn't checked in at all, and If we're not lynching anyone, the inactive needs to go.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2018, 03:19:21 pm »

Cpuld broadly discuss night actions, like what any particular role should do in a non-specific sense. Probably a good idea if we’re teaching or whatevs.

But the Extend should go through, so I’d rather not start that discussion quite yet.

Not a fan of policy lynching :(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2018, 03:27:05 pm »

Neither am I, but it's that or we leave a potential threat hanging around.

If we don't lynch today, we go to tomorrow. Let's say we lynch someone then, and the day after that, and so on.
We won't have time to do so later unless we don't have someone to lynch that day.

If we do end up lynching someone today, this argument is invalid, but if we don't lynch, that's on us against the numbers. How long can it be justified. He just need to post at least once so that he's around.

I also haven't gotten anything from moony either. Just 3 useless posts. Bit frustrating really.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 55