Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If the Dwarf Fortress forums became overpopulated, you would...

Find an alternate DF forum with a community the current size
- 0 (0%)
Just stay here
- 23 (85.2%)
Just move on
- 4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What is a forum?  (Read 4650 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: What is a forum?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 07:28:47 am »

I would probably stay here, and maybe try to convince Toady to block off further registration until population "boils off" and returns to normal. Maybe even mass-ban the imbeciles to speed up the process. He might gladly do it, as the less time spent moderating a large forum, the more can be devoted to DF.
Yeah, we totally should be elitist and mass-ban folks for not being the core demographic. Nothing wrong with that.
Making the community lose its uniqueness is a valid reason for mass-banning. Or this: all people who registered after whatever the date was will be restricted to posting in a Quarantine subforum, and have to prove that they are not shit to be let in to the forum at large. Good idea? Better than mass-banning, but takes more effort.
Circlejerk is still circlejerk. At the end of the day you are still exluding people because they are "worse" by virtue of being new.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 07:31:47 am »

I would probably stay here, and maybe try to convince Toady to block off further registration until population "boils off" and returns to normal. Maybe even mass-ban the imbeciles to speed up the process. He might gladly do it, as the less time spent moderating a large forum, the more can be devoted to DF.
Yeah, we totally should be elitist and mass-ban folks for not being the core demographic. Nothing wrong with that.
Making the community lose its uniqueness is a valid reason for mass-banning. Or this: all people who registered after whatever the date was will be restricted to posting in a Quarantine subforum, and have to prove that they are not shit to be let in to the forum at large. Good idea? Better than mass-banning, but takes more effort.
Circlejerk is still circlejerk. At the end of the day you are still exluding people because they are "worse" by virtue of being new.
It's better than a shithole forum with like 1000 active people.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 07:32:01 am »

You realize that this already happened, right? The Bay12 of today is an order of magnitude larger and more active than it was 9-10 years ago, and a lot of the Old Guard (myself included) either started to shy away from the boards or dropped off completely with the surge of new members that came about after... Uh... I forget which version it was. DF suddenly hit a nerve of popularity and a bunch of people registered.

Like, I'm from the old forum, the one where General Discussion was called Various Nonsense and had a horrifically aquamarine background (each of the boards had their own page color)... And I was just a whippersnapper compared to those who came before me.

Things change, and Bay12 as it exists today never would have happened if Tarn had tried to restrict the audience somehow. It may be home to you, but it's strange and crowded for me, compared to what I remember of the community as it was before. Doesn't mean I don't still like it, but it is considerably different and there are definitely things that I miss.

I learned, eventually, that I just had to put up with the changes and not be a tit about it. I then came to find the aspects of this new incarnation that I get along with, and the journey carries ever onward.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 07:52:35 am »

I just feel like this is the sweet spot of population.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 07:53:52 am »

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2018, 08:14:03 am »

Circlejerk is still circlejerk.
And if it's a circlejerk, might as well go all the way. Gentlemen, I propose we make arrangements for the first Bay12forums macroorgy.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 08:19:06 am »

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."
Reminds me of the whole secret history bit from Exultant.

"They looked out at what they had wrought, a universe expanded hugely beyond anything they had known, vast, dark, nearly empty, it's best times were behind it.

Since the big bang nearly a second had passed."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 08:29:34 am »

Really, I do NOT think Toady himself wants a large forum, that would be a pain to moderate and waste time that could be spent on developing DF. Bay12 currently almost-self-moderates, which is good.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 08:37:49 am »

It's good to an extent. But when it gets about half the size of Something Awful, things get bad. We still have lots of capacity, so no worries. It's not like I oppose all growth of communities. Unreasonable and very quick growth that destroys forum culture is what's bad. Do you agree?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 08:47:36 am »

Really, I do NOT think Toady himself wants a large forum, that would be a pain to moderate and waste time that could be spent on developing DF. Bay12 currently almost-self-moderates, which is good.

It already is a large forum. Y'know that Toady used to personally comment on/respond to threads around the forum? He'd even write personal edits of spambot threads, so whenever a new bot showed up everyone would gather around the thread and wait to see what crazy shit he came up with that time.

When things blew up in the mass influx, there was just too much stuff happening to keep track of without turning it into a full-time job. There was actually talk of appointing new mods to help deal with everything, but he eventually figured out a good balance with the report button and making sure people knew how to use it.

You are PART of a rapid, mass expansion that drastically changed the forum culture. Or, rather, you came in after it happened and the new norm had already established itself.

The Toadster will do what's right by him and what he feels is right for the greater good of the community, and I trust his judgement. Bay12 isn't likely to croak anytime soon.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2018, 08:54:05 am »

Okay then. Let's end this argument.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2018, 09:19:03 am »

Youngsters these days...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2018, 09:33:50 am »

Youngsters these days...
They're not a patch on the youngsters of yesteryear! I tell you, I swiung my stick at them almost daily, this lot don't know they're born, and the ones that come after them haven't been yet!

*oldmangrumblingicon*

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2018, 11:16:26 am »

The Make Bay12 Great Again Eugenics Initiative. We're building a wall, and 4chan is paying for it. Pass this simple test to be allowed to stay (there's a passing grade, but we're not telling what it is):

1) What is the hair colour of Nikov's wife?

2) What is the current handle of Sniper Joe?

3) Who are Pathos?

4) Where did the mobile fortress travel to?

5) List 3 differences between Vactor and Vector

6) In what sense was there ever a map of Bay12?

7) Provide an example of a typical shitpost in the '-' thread

8 ) Why was there no 'U' in Aqizzar?

9) What is the current handle of Janet?

10) How did the Arab Spring affect the forums?

11) What are eyearms, and who grew them first?

(... more?)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 12:25:14 pm »

The Make Bay12 Great Again Eugenics Initiative. We're building a wall, and 4chan is paying for it. Pass this simple test to be allowed to stay (there's a passing grade, but we're not telling what it is):

1) What is the hair colour of Nikov's wife?

2) What is the current handle of Sniper Joe?

3) Who are Pathos?

4) Where did the mobile fortress travel to?

5) List 3 differences between Vactor and Vector

6) In what sense was there ever a map of Bay12?

7) Provide an example of a typical shitpost in the '-' thread

8 ) Why was there no 'U' in Aqizzar?

9) What is the current handle of Janet?

10) How did the Arab Spring affect the forums?

11) What are eyearms, and who grew them first?

(... more?)

1) Who's Nikov?

2) Who's Sniper Joe?

3) Pretty much everyone on the forums.

4) The penguin one? Probably got destroy by the giant Banhammer of Toady One.

5) 1: One has "a" after "V", and other has "e" after "V". 2: Vactor is 34 y.o, Vector is 1017 y.o. 3: I don't know about Vactor's gender, but IIRC, Vector is female, so... They have opposite genders?

6) This forum has a map? O_O

7) Judging by the smile, you mean "Thing that made you feel indifferent" thread, which I've seen only once and remember it very poorly.

8 ) Because "u" looks like a magnet, and Aqizzar might have a fear of magnets?

9) Gunner-chan

10) Some Middle-Eastern forumites died? I don't know if we have anyone from Middle-East on the forum.

11) I presume they are eyes with arms growing out of sclera. Dunno who cultivated them.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4