Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If the Dwarf Fortress forums became overpopulated, you would...

Find an alternate DF forum with a community the current size
- 0 (0%)
Just stay here
- 23 (85.2%)
Just move on
- 4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What is a forum?  (Read 4652 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
What is a forum?
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:56:16 pm »

It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is a forum?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:23:10 pm »

Spoiler: I miss them. (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 04:03:07 pm »

What is a forum?

A miserable pile of shitposts.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 04:34:25 pm »

It is sad, but not unexpected.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 04:38:02 pm »

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 05:50:20 pm »

What is a forum?

A miserable pile of shitposts.
...but enough memes, have at you!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 08:27:20 pm »

This is the superior medium to be honest. Compare it to behemoth umbrella communities like 4chan or reddit and smaller places trying to be them; or to personally integrated sites like Facebook. People behave more or less civilly here where they have no reason to do so in the former places. It works that way on image boards because (barring a few exceptions) their near complete anonymity means you can do or say pretty much whatever you want as long as it's not literally illegal and you get banned without consequence, and places like reddit because while they do tend to moderate more aggressively you're still probably not going to talk to the same people more than once. That anonymity is valuable to discussion though, since people can't effectively employ tactics like shaming, social pressure, or intimidation to shut people down like happens in real life far more than actual reasoned debate, and social media is a complete wasteland because there's really no difference between what you say on Twitter and what you say in real life, except literal armies of strangers are just waiting to jump on you for it on top of people you personally know. The rare exceptions where people just make an account and use it without attaching any personal information to it still end up just shut out by the format of the site itself. Facebook style sites as an example are increasingly containing contact to just your friends and corporate accounts, and people are wary of interacting with obviously fake or anonymized accounts.

On a forum though, we have many of the same people around all the time and they can recognize each other by something more tangible than posting style. An actual community can form then, since people can get familiar with each other in a way that is impossible in less personal mediums. But, the only consequences of what you say on an internet forum are contained to the forum itself. The subset of people who can actually do something to you other than call you names is vanishingly small. The format has its own problems, but I can't say that it's been done better either.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:29:00 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 10:19:54 pm »

It really irritates me when people on reddit complain about general post quality of their subreddit.  Or when they ban certain kinds of posts or make separate "circlejerk" subreddits.  Like its too hard to not click on posts or scroll past them.  They already sort posts by popularity by default anyway (which I also think is really idiotic).
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 02:36:59 am »

Question: You bring up anonymity on large sites. What if, for whatever reason, these forums become so populated, that that was true here also?
What would you do.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 02:40:30 am »

Here is a relevant post on the Spyro subreddit:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 03:46:23 am »

I would probably stay here, and maybe try to convince Toady to block off further registration until population "boils off" and returns to normal. Maybe even mass-ban the imbeciles to speed up the process. He might gladly do it, as the less time spent moderating a large forum, the more can be devoted to DF.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:54:30 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 05:49:59 am »

I would probably stay here, and maybe try to convince Toady to block off further registration until population "boils off" and returns to normal. Maybe even mass-ban the imbeciles to speed up the process. He might gladly do it, as the less time spent moderating a large forum, the more can be devoted to DF.
Yeah, we totally should be elitist and mass-ban folks for not being the core demographic. Nothing wrong with that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 05:53:01 am »

That is an extremely complex theological question. I would refer to rule 73.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 06:56:00 am »

Yeah, we totally should be elitist and mass-ban folks for not being the core demographic. Nothing wrong with that.
Making the community lose its uniqueness is a valid reason for mass-banning. Or this: all people who registered after whatever the date was will be restricted to posting in a Quarantine subforum, and have to prove that they are not shit to be let in to the forum at large. Good idea? Better than mass-banning, but takes more effort.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:06:39 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4