Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do I get Poschengband?  (Read 2754 times)

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do I get Poschengband?
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:27:39 pm »

Greetings! I am seeking help with getting Poschengband (an fork of Chengband, which is an fork of Angband), one of my favourite -band forks. However, when I to get it from the supposed site: https://sites.google.com/site/poschengband/, it says that I have no permission. I have sent via a button there to whoever is giving permission but so far, I have not recieved it. This means that either my request has not arrived, has not yet been read or has been rejected. The github repository here: https://github.com/poschengband/poschengband, only contains the soruce code. As I have no knowledge on how to compile files, I need help with finding whatver site that contains an already compiled version of Poschengband. If none are available, please, tell me, so that I can cease seeking things that cannot be sought, and also what are potential forks that are compiled and are similar to Poschengband.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I get Poschengband?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:05:44 pm »

Looks like the maintainer has killed this variant, so I doubt that group is still active, and the github was deleted a month or so back. You wont likely find a binary for this one anywhere, but the source is preserved in the angband variants repository.

Compiling your own shoudn't be too hard, the readme has basic instructions. Install visual c++ 2010 express, open the .sln file, hit ctrl-shift-B and sit back.

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:19 pm »

Ah, I see. Very unfortunate, as Poschengband was one of my favourites, and it is quite sad that it's own creator has killed it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07:00:17 pm »

Yeeaah, halfhearted look can't seem to find a recent windows binary. I could upload an older one (3.5 vs 7.something, apparently) pretty easily if it'd help any? There's also some new-ish forks of poschen fiddling about these days, too, that you can easily find windows versions for. Check over here for what seems to be somewhere to find a couple.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 01:27:11 pm »

Yeah unfortunately there was dramas between Chris and some of the playerbase and likely other stuff. A shame as I liked a lot of what he'd done with his Hengband fork. Composband (& frog compos) are fairly new. So if you grab the current version of Compos it's virtually the same as the last poscheng. Some extra quests and some personal tweaks of Gwarl's but the core game is still poscheng. If you're really desperate & can't compile I do have 7.0.1 for windows and older versions are probably floating around in my download directory. But I'd just try Compos or frog compos. Heck hengband itself is still developed and has a recent-ish version if you can read enough Japanese to decifer the compile instructions.

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »

I would very much appreciate a compiled verion of Poschengband. It does not matter what version it is, as long as it is good, I shall play it!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:45:26 pm »

If wob has 7.0.1 and frogcom or com isn't up your alley (though a quick poke suggests either should pull similar enjoyment levers for a person, for what it's worth), that'd probably be best. Like said, I have a version toodling around but it's 3.5.0 at the newest, heh, and if the com forks are anything to go by there's a good bit of work invested between that and the 7.0 line.

Still, if there's any trouble uploading or whatever I'd be happy to kick what I got out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:24:44 pm »

I would very much appreciate a compiled verion of Poschengband. It does not matter what version it is, as long as it is good, I shall play it!

Try this: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Asycth9nrmPTrmjgKI957P_SYZiv

It probably depends on the visual c++ 2010 redistributable so if you get any errors about missing .dlls, install that.