Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Frostpunk  (Read 13393 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frostpunk
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 08:09:57 pm »

But my plan has the best generator. And you plan results in everyone dying of boredom.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 08:14:34 pm »

But my plan has the best generator. And you plan results in everyone dying of boredom.
Mate, we're in a survival game based on the world having frozen over. I assure you, whatever we die of, it sure as hell won't be boredom.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 08:21:31 pm »

The Generator is the single most important thing in Frostpunk, everything else is just fluff, without the Generator you are dead, no way, no how. Even if you have high tech and ressources.

Do remember that this is going to likely be a lot more free-form than the game; performing major overhauls on the generator may just be a thing we can do if we have the tech, skills and resources to do so.

If we invest the time and resources into it, we could potentially retool the Prototype Generator to the point where it matches the Advanced Generator.

That said; if you want my technically uninformed opinion (none of us have any idea of how exactly Ebbor is going to handle things, so an informed opinion is impossible for any of us to make); Happery's plan will certainly have a smoother 'early game'; having to worry much less about sudden cold snaps with that Advanced Generator; while NUKE's plan will likely be in a rush (but not a dire one; this isn't the Damaged Generator scenario) 'early game' getting the generator up to par (But they do have the tech, skills, and resources to do just that); at which point the better tech and superior workforce will likely surpass the other setup. A late bloomer with the means to ease its early growing pains, if you will.

In my opinion; both setups are mechanically viable from what bits of information we have. I just like NUKE's plan's fluff more.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 08:49:53 pm »

+1 to NUKE9.13's plan

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 12:38:41 am »

Mate, we're in a survival game based on the world having frozen over. I assure you, whatever we die of, it sure as hell won't be boredom.
I am not actually from such a culture, but my understanding of civilisation's experience with cold weather is boredom... and a lack of motivation can be fatal when the threat to survival is a lack of hard but methodical resource gathering...

Given that "no supplies" is an option, I assume that it is a viable option. We didn't, for example, get "no generator" as an option, even though a fireplace in every home would have to be more effective and efficient than a giant open-top fire in the middle of town. The game just doesn't work without a generator, so no jenny is no go... Just because we have no supplies doesn't mean that we can't rapidly get supplies, at least enough to survive, and my plan should have an automaton to make up the shortfall in hard labour. My idea may well be Fun, but it is not an automatic lose.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 03:14:46 am »

Nuke's plan looks fun too, so I won't mind if it wins. But a no resource plan doesn't sound either fun or FUN to play, it just sounds frustrating to me.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 03:19:31 am »

Have a votebox. I don't think I missed any votes, but my apologies in advance if I did.

Quote from: Votebox
RAM's plan: (1) RAM
Happerry's plan: (5) Happerry, Terenos, Arlos, dgr11897, Glass
dgr11897's plan: (1) King Zultan
NUKE9.13's plan: (5) NUKE9.13, TopHat, Jilladilla, ZBridges, RulerOfNothing
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 04:05:58 am »

Anyone willing to break the tie?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 06:10:04 am »

nuke's plan

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 02:53:49 pm »

Flamfjord, 1878

Surlington's Logbook

Midday Observation : Visibility limited. Light Snow. Temperature measured at -20 degrees. Conditions in the Fjord remain perilous. Ice floes continue to accumulate, and the fjord remains in-navigable. Forecast suggests further temperature drops are likely.

Note: Construction proceeds according to plan, but the Frost is outpacing projections. Temperatures are dropping far faster than predicted, and the weather is becoming increasingly erratic. We'll have to work harder to get the shelter build in time.

Setting his journal aside, Dr William Surlington grimaces. He looks at the charts around his study, those deceptively innocent lines that will mean the death of millions to come. The simple figures that herald the coming of an age of Frost, blanketing the entire Earth beneath a cover of snow. It's enough to make lesser men fall to despair.

But not him, nor any other citizen of Flamfjord. They are the British Empire's finest, and they will endure where the Empire can not. They will endure, even if the situation is grim.

Three ships set out from London for this frigid coast, carrying men, material and supplies. When the ice took them, the expedition continued onwards with sled and dogs, carrying the great machines across the jagged ice and frozen mountains deeper into the Fjord. It was a perilous journey, and a terrific price was paid, but the destination was reached.

The Generator now towers over a growing settlement, like a steel giant covered in frost. Already, engineers are preparing the giant machine to banish the cold from their hastily build shelters. Others work hard to gather scarce supplies, salvaging the abandoned buildings of the old Flamfjord scientific Station to make up for the supplies that were left with the ships or lost along the journey.

Even now, there are a thousand things that need to be done. Supplies of wood, coal and Steel are perilously low. Food rations are somewhat more plentiful, but without resupply even those will not last you the month. The city needs to be expanded, building better housing, actual work spaces. You need to send out a rescue mission into the Frostland, find your missing men and supplies, and for that, you need to deploy the beacon.

So many things to do, lest the frost kill you all.

Choose 5 Actions + 1 action for your Automaton (Note which)

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

Weather : Minus 20 degrees, Light snow
Housing : Lethal / Freezing / Very Cold / Cold / Chilly / Livable / Comfortable
Indoor Work : Lethal / Freezing / Very Cold / Cold / Chilly / Livable / Comfortable
Outdoor Work : Lethal / Freezing / Very Cold / Cold / Chilly / Livable / Comfortable

Spoiler: Flamfjord (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Frostland (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:47:21 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 03:06:46 pm »

hm.  It seems that we can't have enough wood to build a sawmill unless we have a sawmill. I suppose we will need to find sources of perm wood elsewhere...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 03:10:21 pm »

Quote from: plan beacon next turn
2x gather steel (auto)
2x gather food
2x gather wood
Read the First Post!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 03:15:12 pm »

How much food do we need per turn?
Can we build with resources gathered in the same turn? Ie, can we build stuff this turn?
Long Live United Forenia!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 03:16:05 pm »

how much food do we need per turn?

Also, if I understand things correctly, we can't gather 2 steel, because our cap is 1.
Speaking of which, the steelworks don't show any perm steel increase, is that a mistake? (also, we can't afford it either)

is it possible to gather in a turn more than our cap, as long as we spend enough during the turn to stay below the cap?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 03:33:18 pm »

How much food do we need per turn?
Can we build with resources gathered in the same turn? Ie, can we build stuff this turn?
Currently, 1 Temp/turn.
Yes

how much food do we need per turn?

Also, if I understand things correctly, we can't gather 2 steel, because our cap is 1.
Speaking of which, the steelworks don't show any perm steel increase, is that a mistake? (also, we can't afford it either)

is it possible to gather in a turn more than our cap, as long as we spend enough during the turn to stay below the cap?

Blergh, I forgot to add the explanations.

The number in brackets is your temporary value, the number outside is the Perm value. There's nothing preventing you from pushing the Temp value above the Perm value, except for the fact that stats will not regenerate automatically if that's the case.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11