Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Frostpunk  (Read 13389 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Frostpunk
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 05:12:13 pm »

Still makes it much easier to find those starting pops if we've got working vehicles at the start.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that having the Asylum starting pop would be interesting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:17:03 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 05:58:38 pm »

I think we should do
Damaged Generator
Asylum pops
 An Imperial Dreadnought
Highly advanced technology
And normal resources
the idea being that we are a group of mad scientists who found an abandoned dreadnought, only to realize why it and it's plentiful technology were abandoned, the generator is damaged, heavily, now most normal people would lose hope at this point but lacking sanity they will push on, Anyone have a good name for them?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:48:56 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 01:50:08 am »

Happerry's plan is certainly the best middle-of-the-road option. What concerns me is the lack of advanced technology. Like, by the sounds of things, getting more Steam Cores will be extremely difficult, if it is even possible at all (I haven't played the source game, so I dunno).
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 03:27:02 am »

You're not going to be producing them inside your city for a long while, but they're present in a lot of advanced technology. Both dreadnought and steamcrawler have them, and those can be scavenged. You may also find wrecks in the Frostland.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 05:31:01 am »

Right, so, we also need a colony leader, right?

Name: Dr William Surlington
Description: A distinguished member of the Royal Society, Dr Surlington's work in climate science was known throughout the world. He and his assistants spent many a month in the arctic, studying weather patterns and taking samples from deep within the ice sheets. His warnings of the accelerating pace of glacial growth, and the possibility of them heralding a new ice age, were generally ignored. Until, of course, the great winter arrived, at which point the great and powerful beat down the path to his door- only to find he had already departed for the north, having seen the catastrophe coming, and was in the process of establishing the colony of [COLONY NAME].
After all, if he can manage an arctic expedition of a dozen people, a city of ten thousand can't be that hard, can it?
Dr Surlington's knowledge of how to survive in the frozen wastes and his knowledge of extreme weather conditions will surely be a boon to the colony.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 06:08:50 am »

I think we should do
Damaged Generator
Asylum pops
 An Imperial Dreadnought
Highly advanced technology
And normal resources
the idea being that we are a group of mad scientists who found an abandoned dreadnought, only to realize why it and it's plentiful technology were abandoned, the generator is damaged, heavily, now most normal people would lose hope at this point but lacking sanity they will push on, Anyone have a good name for them?
+1 For the challenge.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:14:20 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 07:23:20 am »

Alright, after thinking about it some more, I think Happerry's plan, whilst sensible, is also kinda boring. That said, I don't want to do RAM or dgr's plans, cos they seem suicidal.

I suggest the following:

Quote from: Colony Leader
Name: Dr William Surlington
Description: A distinguished member of the Royal Society, Dr Surlington's work in climate science was known throughout the world. He and his assistants spent many a month in the arctic, studying weather patterns and taking samples from deep within the ice sheets. His warnings of the accelerating pace of glacial growth, and the possibility of them heralding a new ice age, were generally ignored. Until, of course, the great winter arrived, at which point the great and powerful beat down the path to his door- only to find he had already departed for the north, having seen the catastrophe coming, and was in the process of establishing the colony of Flamfjord.
After all, if he can manage an arctic expedition of a dozen people, a city of ten thousand can't be that hard, can it?
Dr Surlington's knowledge of how to survive in the frozen wastes and his knowledge of extreme weather conditions will surely be a boon to the colony.
Quote from: Colony
Name: Flamfjord
Description: Originally a research and trading settlement established by the Empire in the north, it served as a testbed for the Generators. Dr Surlington launched expeditions from here, and so was well known to the few permanent residents. Thanks to his long-held suspicions of an imminent ice age, he had contingency plans in place to recruit the finest scientists and engineers, whilst also importing hardy labourers to work in the factories. Combining their expertise with the small amounts of advanced technology housed in the settlement's labs, he intends to upgrade the generator to something more modern, and weather the storm for as long as possible.
Flamfjord is, as the name suggests, situated in a fjord. The woods in the area are sparse, but existent, and a few seams of coal and iron are known to exist in the surrounding mountains. In addition, it served as a trading hub for the natives, who exchanged furs and reindeer meat for British goods. However, it is unknown whether any of them have survived the Frost's embrace.

Generator
-Prototype Generator : A British marvel of ingenuity, the first of it's kind. This prototype generator largely resembles the standard generator, with some notable design flaws (-1 points)

Populace
- The Empire's finest : Trained men, experts of all kinds, hardworking and excelling in all fields. The best the british empire can offer (2 points)

Expedition Vehicle
- Expeditions sleds : Lightweight reliable, and portable by hand. This allowed the expedition to travel easily through the Frostland (1point)

Resources
- Limited (0)

Automatons and advanced technology
- A few examples (1 point)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 10:02:25 am »

Alright, after thinking about it some more, I think Happerry's plan, whilst sensible, is also kinda boring. That said, I don't want to do RAM or dgr's plans, cos they seem suicidal.

I suggest the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
+1.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 03:04:42 pm »

I suggest the following:
Right; changing my support; this has fluff, I like fluff. We might struggle a bit with an early cold snap with the prototype generator (maybe... Depends on what exactly the flaws are.), but the plan does start with the skills and (some) materials so we could probably upgrade the generator to address such problems.
So as such; +1 to Nuke's plan. (Should we be using a votebox or no?)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 03:09:33 pm »

Suicidal is interesting, safety is not, plus i designed it not to be sucidal yours is kinda the same level of danger, in my plan our weakness in the generator district with my plan is countered by decent resources, high tech, and a dreadnought.
My Power armor arms race

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 03:18:48 pm »

It's the 'damaged generator without experts to fix it' thing that strikes me as suicidal.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 05:45:12 pm »

I suggest the following:
+1 to this instead of Happerry's plan.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:51:57 pm by ZBridges »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2018, 05:51:57 pm »

It's the 'damaged generator without experts to fix it' thing that strikes me as suicidal.
Yes but we would have a dreadnought and a bunch of high tech gizmos to compensate, as well as more resources.
My Power armor arms race

Arlos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2018, 06:42:12 pm »

The Generator is the single most important thing in Frostpunk, everything else is just fluff, without the Generator you are dead, no way, no how. Even if you have high tech and ressources.

Well, here's my suggested city build then. I'm assuming for this build that the proper cost for the 'None' technology choice is 0. If this is said to be wrong, I'll go back and change my plan.

Quote from: Plan Sleds and Generators
Name : Valleyward
Description : A settlement site founded in a valley, sheltered from the wind and snow by the adjacent mountain while still high enough to get some of the (limited remaining) sunlight. The nearby mountains are thought to have some ore and coal deposits, and the local landscape is forested enough to provide wood.

Generator
-Advanced Generator : An advanced generator, vastly more efficient and powerfull than most examples of it's kind(1 Points)

Populace
-The London Exodus: When the Empire started to crumble, anyone who could departed for the generator.

Expedition Vehicle
- Expeditions sleds : Lightweight reliable, and portable by hand. This allowed the expedition to travel easily through the Frostland (1point)

Resources
- Normal (1 point)

- None (0 points)

Anyone think we could mount an Advanced Generator on the back of a giant Snowcrawler and have a moving city?
I suspect we'd need a Dreadnought to have enough room to carry people, resources, and the generator. It'd also make it hard to build any new facilities or upgrades...
+1
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 06:44:56 pm by Arlos »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 06:58:31 pm »

The Generator is the single most important thing in Frostpunk, everything else is just fluff, without the Generator you are dead, no way, no how. Even if you have high tech and ressources.

Well, here's my suggested city build then. I'm assuming for this build that the proper cost for the 'None' technology choice is 0. If this is said to be wrong, I'll go back and change my plan.

Quote from: Plan Sleds and Generators
Name : Valleyward
Description : A settlement site founded in a valley, sheltered from the wind and snow by the adjacent mountain while still high enough to get some of the (limited remaining) sunlight. The nearby mountains are thought to have some ore and coal deposits, and the local landscape is forested enough to provide wood.

Generator
-Advanced Generator : An advanced generator, vastly more efficient and powerfull than most examples of it's kind(1 Points)

Populace
-The London Exodus: When the Empire started to crumble, anyone who could departed for the generator.

Expedition Vehicle

Resources
- Normal (1 point)

- None (0 points)

Anyone think we could mount an Advanced Generator on the back of a giant Snowcrawler and have a moving city?
I suspect we'd need a Dreadnought to have enough room to carry people, resources, and the generator. It'd also make it hard to build any new facilities or upgrades...
+1
Fair point +1 to this plan
My Power armor arms race
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11