Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: Bring-Your-Own-Song Collectible Card Game  (Read 15752 times)

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Bring-Your-Own-Song Collectible Card Game
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2018, 11:37:01 pm »

Just a thought for the GM but in case anyone wants to play games with more than two players you might want to change that's the story. Because it would really suck for someone to play that and then have it resolve before all players get a turn, causing Fallacy of urist, or anyone else with the card, to win the game before everyone has had a chance to react. Finally, should we set up separate topics for the actual games? And have this topic just be the central hub, just to make it easier for multiple games to go on at once?
Here's a bit of a funny question. The thread title says "Collectible Card Game". Does that mean it is somehow possible to... Collect... Cards?
Both of these are things that have crossed my mind. For the former: If that's going to happen, I'll have to change other cards. I'll probably do that just before I release the new decks. For the latter... maybe? I've thought about allowing that once I get a handle on things, but I'm having trouble enough balancing static decks. I don't know how I'd implement a card swapping mechanic without breaking the game.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2018, 11:53:09 pm »

For card trading, my opinion is that you should keep each deck as its own entity, but deck trading might be interesting, or games where everyone gets a random deck.
I have also come up with some names for different types of games, inspired in part by musical terminology.
Solo for 1v1 games
Duets for games with any number of teams of 2.
Orchestral for games with two teams of anything larger than two
And Freestyle for games are free for all games.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:08:17 am by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2018, 12:19:58 am »

I have a couple of thoughts.

One idea might be to give a new card to players that lose games. This would grant new cards without unbalancing things too much.

Or letting players replace a card with one that fulfills the same role with a slightly different effect. This would make it so that people won't totally know your deck even if you played a game before. We can call it a "Remix" card.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2018, 06:05:43 am »

Mariokartifying it would mean all get new stuff, but losing players get better ones.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2018, 09:21:23 am »

Finally, should we set up separate topics for the actual games? And have this topic just be the central hub, just to make it easier for multiple games to go on at once?
I don't think that having multiple games going on in thia thread would clutter it, as long as players have some kind of header so that people know who they're playing against. If we made a separate topic for each game, then we'd just create a mess on the front page of FG&RP.

As for your ideas, I want to see more than just 1v1s, so I'll fix the cards soon, to allow that. I think Remixing would be the best way of keeping things balanced. Maybe players could submit another song, and from that I would come up with cards to replace some of the ones in the deck?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2018, 09:25:00 am »

I like the "submit another song" idea.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2018, 10:56:39 am »

Agreed with above. The Deck should be a mix tape as I got nine other favorite songs I can think of.

And the decks can be “ Greatest Hits or Mix Tape.”

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2018, 11:52:22 am »

Just wondering: does anyone else feel like maybe, the decks are on the small side?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2018, 12:00:10 pm »

Considering one way to lose is all cards gone it does, it also expands on how strategic the cards should be played. It’s a con and a way to make sure people use them smart I guess.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2018, 12:19:52 pm »

We should see some more duels, but I think a Glass may be right.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »

no he is definitely right, these are twelve card decks, a magic the gather deck typically has around/more than four times that.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2018, 01:02:57 pm »

no he is definitely right, these are twelve card decks, a magic the gather deck typically has around/more than four times that.
Roughly what I was thinking. Pretty sure Magic decks (or maybe it was Yugioh, I forget) have a min of 40 cards and a max of 60. That ranges from about 4x our size to 5x it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2018, 01:13:03 pm »

I doubt eveyone's songs have enough lyrical content for 40-60 cards.
I also don't think Tomasque would be down with creating 40-60 individual unique cards for everyone and getting all the decks to balance(unless he is)

I've been dabbling with YuGiOh Duel Links lately and they use a minimum of 20 cards to a max 30.
12 card decks might have limited flexibility when it comes to strategy, but that just might be the intended nature of the game
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2018, 01:15:21 pm »

Which is why I think if going that route need a mix tape deck. Because you can only make so much with one song, or just try winging it to see if it works. Who is next up anyway?

Going to read rules over again like do you have to discard a card per play or just use them keeping card space available?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2018, 01:19:04 pm »

I doubt eveyone's songs have enough lyrical content for 40-60 cards.
I also don't think Tomasque would be down with creating 40-60 individual unique cards for everyone and getting all the decks to balance(unless he is)
Not that many cards with one song, but with two or three songs, it should be good. And yes, Tomasque should probably prioritize getting everyone a deck, even a small one, for now, but once that’s done, I do thing we should go to make the decks at least a little bit larger.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19