Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.12  (Read 67560 times)

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastpit - A Succession Farm - 44.10
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2018, 10:46:42 pm »

I'd like to be dwarfed. Justin works fine as a name, please choose a male with the most sanity remaining.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2018, 09:25:51 am »

Why are you dropping the bronze collossus down a pit, when you can catch it in a single cage trap, and have a defense against all zombie hordes?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:32:02 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2018, 12:26:31 pm »

^ Because who needs to do something as cheap as that when you can engineer an overcomplicated dwarf trick.

Spoiler: Justin (click to show/hide)

Bearskie's Journal (9)

Red alert red alert. Again I am packing glass when fortress alert rings and causes glass to quiver. Pack of dwarves scramble out of central staircase like wambler pack when wolf arrives. Nobody to go down to lower fortress, we are told. What do we fear now, I asked them? Mighty cavern spiders, beast from forgotten depths, demons coming from walls? No, they replied, this is even worse. It is Zan; he has been consumed by madness.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Later Zan emerges from trapdoor, bloody sword hangs loose on his side. Blood is dripping from his wear that will not come out using soap. We are passed by with brief glance as he marches on without word. There is hard granite expression on his face but it looks disturbed. Haulers pull out at least five bodies from lower fortress. They are in gruesome shape and that means I am now disturbed too.

---

Strange knockings we hear in walls for many days now. Only today when Auze grab bowl and threw against wall shouting "WHAT IS THAT SOUND?!" we realise it was not normal wall-noise. It is not zombie wall-noise either since zombies not polite enough to knock. Noise is tracked to source at west depot entrance by bootcamp duty dwarfs. We can hear faint dwarf whisper unsullied and pure.

"Let us in!" they call upon hearing us but we told them to flee this place of madness before the dead came for them. They told us the dead were gone, what do you mean 'gone' we asked. "Let us in and see for yourselves!" For a moment we second-guess whether this was trick of dead, but realise we were being stupid and ordered gates to be opened. Slowly, in case the dead trick.

Air was found still with no trace of movement. Swiftly those with arms exited to scout the hill. They reported few lingering rhino corpses, but no summoned dead with arms. Beach surface where workshop used to be is now trashed wasteland. They find bronze god sitting within the old tombs, defiling the corpses of the old founders but nobody cares about them. New migrant dwarfs stream through the gate; they are ushered in quickly before we can change our minds.

There are talks on whether we return to surface now with dead gone, but there is still bronze god to deal with. No, it is too dangerous, yet MEGASHAFT will not finish for two more months. Two long months of stale air and old food. Now there is talk of disobeying order, of revolting. Zan has overstepped dwarven law they say, he should be punished. But few would dare go against dwarf who use sword more than bread-knife. Discontented dwarfs we trudge back to the underground, back to angry moods and talking walls.

---

Three nights pass and we are awaken by earth shaken like cradle once more. Another bronze god! No, this was actual earth moving, slow yet unstoppable. Every dwarf still alive knows how to feel cave-ins through his boots.

Along with other dwarfs we ascend staircase to emerge into dust cloud that choked our lungs. We notice many things such as gigantic hole in ceiling above bed of block, stone, and many dead old stinky corpses; but most we noticed was giant bronze head buried beneath rubble staring with dead jewelled eyes. We recoil as if it would awake at any moment. It remained dead. Bronze god was dead.

Underneath was fresh dwarf body with pick in hand. Miner squad said she was of their kin, who had been slowly becoming consumed by madness over time. Her name was Shorast Ringroast. Craving escape she made plan to collapse tomb onto bronze god and flee from there. She dug ramp circle in full view of bronze colossus, hiding in stealth of night. There was rudimentary support pillar but it failed and did not fire, and so she dug out final part herself.

Miner's sacrifice will be remembered in only way we dwarf know how. Monument to Shorast Ringroast, slayer of Tharith Riddlehead the Cut of Wars, will be built upon this site.

OOC- The colossus was pulled out of position by an arriving giantess, and settled deeper within the tombs. This was my only chance to kill the bastard, because even if the Breakfastpit was complete, the colossus would take eternity to destroy all the coffins before entering the trap. As long as he was alive the surface would have been off-limits for good. I saw a chance and I took it. Breakfastpit is now free.

The Zan bit was some funky loyalty issue. I was worried it would spiral into a cascade, but luckily he seems to be on our side for now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:53:13 pm by Bearskie »

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2018, 03:57:35 pm »

Just living up the fort's name.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2018, 04:51:32 pm »

Well, breakfast pit can be used for the next sieges and such. so that's good. :D
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 27, 2018, 04:51:39 am »

Bearskie's Journal (10)

With surface open mood has improved, but there is much cleanup to do and so mood returns to grumpy. It is almost autumn and still the caravan does not come - has Breakfastpit been forsaken by the mountainhome? I would not blame them, for food production here is worse than small hillock on desert soil. Our export quota is short by factor of hundred, and we have barely enough drink to feed self. Soil may be fertile to work with, but there is no use in hands of mad farmers.

Some make preparations to leave if caravan does not arrive. It will not be easy journey for Breakfastpit is greatly isolated from world, but young ones are foolish decision-makers. They pack whatever little trinkets they have to spare when Zan-Captain mutters "Enough with this rock-shit" and grabs our attention by stabbing sword into stray bag, which can look remarkably like dwarf body.

Here is write speech of Zan-Captain:

"You all think I'm mad. I can see it in your faces. Maybe I am; I know bloody well none of our minds are screwed on right here in this place. There is something in the air, and if I had my way, this unholy place would be salted and burned to the ground. But I made a promise here, six years ago, when me and six others parked the wagon on this goddamned land. You will have forgotten their names by now, still my memory is clear. I stood here on this hill. It was autumn evening. I said to Quasar, my sword will be defender of this place. We would do whatever it takes to make this the best goddamn farm in the world".

He grabs one backpack of supplies from ground and slings it across shoulder. "And I intend to keep that promise, even if they're all dead. Or a werebeast. Or both."

In smooth motion he withdraws steel blade from buried stray bag. It glints with same anger hiding in Zan-Captain's eye. "Let us give those necromancers a taste of their own medicine."

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 27, 2018, 06:05:06 am »

Holy carp, Zan's declaring war on Roomsounded? Eeeee! That's awesome!

Keep your eyes open for the dwarf Onul Axeraw, the leader of the necromancer tower. Axeraw was once the very first king of our own civilization (The Basic Gates). He attained immortality in year 14 and founded Roomsounded 107 years later.

Half a days travel... would it be possible to take Akko with you and leave a day before the full moon? She can run inside, go super-swine and unleash terrible vengeance on Breakfastpit's enemies.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2018, 06:36:16 am »

Zan for president!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2018, 07:26:46 am »

'take important items' so... if zan manages to succeed somehow, we'd end up with a likely return of a slab. I suggest we make an octagonal room with an iron door. (octiron would be ideal, but sadly unavailable) and put a single pedestal in there with the slab, then lock the door.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2018, 09:14:31 am »

Are you guys aware of 44.11?
Also, in that version, is it possible to conquer the tower?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:20:47 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 27, 2018, 09:36:10 am »

I wonder if it would be possible to conquer the tower by "diplomatic" means, making them allies, and suddenly there's an undead merchant knocking on your door claiming to be offering awesome Mini-toy forges...
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2018, 09:55:45 am »

And are we absolutely sure that is the tower that is attacking us? No other towers around?

I wonder if it would be possible to conquer the tower by "diplomatic" means, making them allies, and suddenly there's an undead merchant knocking on your door claiming to be offering awesome Mini-toy forges...
There are four things we can do that I think counts as diplomatic. Make them give tribute(No idea if that would stop them attacking, have not used tributes much), forever or one-time, or conquer them, through surrender or battle.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2018, 10:10:20 am »

And are we absolutely sure that is the tower that is attacking us? No other towers around?

There are four things we can do that I think counts as diplomatic. Make them give tribute(No idea if that would stop them attacking, have not used tributes much), forever or one-time, or conquer them, through surrender or battle.

Can you ask the tower if they can reanimate a bone bin?  Maybe Ace can be a hauler with a built in container.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2018, 10:13:16 am »

You do realize that at best that would mean we would have an undead bin, right?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2018, 10:24:46 am »

You do realize that at best that would mean we would have an undead bin, right?

Yeah, then weaponize it!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28