Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Lands of Blood and Fortune: A test  (Read 16109 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Lands of Blood and Fortune: A test
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2018, 11:20:32 am »

I think you might be bumping up against the limits of an overmap group exploration game. There are major parts of the game where a good portion of the team hasn't got much to do.

In this situation, perhaps it's more an "we don't really know how to react to this particular event" as well.

If we do control them, I vote that we control them thus:

Egan -> Sy
Tiruin -> ATH
myself -> Tomasque

This puts me with the person I am prooooobably least likely to piss off by misusing his character. And I think Ti would be the one most likely to be careful with ATH's roleplay character. And I figure, if Sy's gonna let his character be controlled, Egan is probably the one he's least opposed to doing so, though perhaps Ti would be a better option there as well -shrug-

Or -facepalm- our waitlisters can grab a character and run them. I suppose that would be better still.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2018, 12:01:38 pm »

Resist! Or move along the impulse to guide myself into control!

I personally think this is better off in the RtD theme--there are special roles helping the GM, but we all get to do some acting in between to help our characterization and otherwise :P It does pretty much help anyway, alongside keeping the foundational interaction and connection going.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2018, 01:44:38 pm »

Blow my whistle very loud. If Tiruin keeps moving towards the light, then I'll start using the air bladder and forcibly move them into a place outside the light, covering them with my suncloak if I have to.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2018, 12:36:45 pm »

Sigh is apparantly playing a game where he sees how long he can get away without posting.

I hope people haven't lost interest in this. If they have I might now know how Radio feels about DIG.
The pain is real.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2018, 05:10:17 pm »

Sigh is apparantly playing a game where he sees how long he can get away without posting.

I hope people haven't lost interest in this. If they have I might now know how Radio feels about DIG.
The pain is real.
Hire me to do my stupid GM'ing all for youuuu~

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2018, 11:19:24 pm »

((Yeah, I'm still here, I just haven't felt like there was anything important to do, and I'm not terribly interested in aimless RP.  I nearly posted for the "rockslide", but correctly predicted that standing still was as good an option as anything.  It's not like running away from a rockslide would've worked.))

The pain is real.

((Don't worry, it'll fade after a few years.  Look at my signature; the Mad Max With Wizards quote left a long time ago... along with my hope.  :'( ))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2018, 11:20:27 am »

((Yeah, I'm still here, I just haven't felt like there was anything important to do, and I'm not terribly interested in aimless RP.  I nearly posted for the "rockslide", but correctly predicted that standing still was as good an option as anything.  It's not like running away from a rockslide would've worked.))

The pain is real.

((Don't worry, it'll fade after a few years.  Look at my signature; the Mad Max With Wizards quote left a long time ago... along with my hope.  :'( ))
I made two, currently running games chasing that non-specific dream of yours. Two games you bailed out of. I don't even get child support payments.

Resist! Or move along the impulse to guide myself into control!

I personally think this is better off in the RtD theme--there are special roles helping the GM, but we all get to do some acting in between to help our characterization and otherwise :P It does pretty much help anyway, alongside keeping the foundational interaction and connection going.
I think the overland stuff is unfortunately difficult due to the slowness of PBP games. In real life you'd have to wait a few minutes at most. Here it can be days.

The alternative is to just walk one hex at a time and let everyone act as they want. Which I'd be fine with trying, if you want.

-----

You stop walking, not sure how you got to where you are. You can hear whispers in your mind, speaking in a bubbling language you can't understand. If you try to listen to them, they grow suddenly louder. You ignore them as best you can and they vanish back into dull whispers, but never go away.

You force yourself to turn around, back towards the rest of the group. You have control over yourself but there's a sort of doubt that you can't shake, almost as though you're second guessing every thing you do.

Blow my whistle very loud. If Tiruin keeps moving towards the light, then I'll start using the air bladder and forcibly move them into a place outside the light, covering them with my suncloak if I have to.
She was moving west, not east towards the light, but luckily no action seems needed.

"Hey! You're going the wrong way! Exploration time is the other way!"

Attempt to ascertain whether Ti is in her right mind, and what the heck is up with her face. Assume it has a connection with the light from last night, and work from there.
You're not really sure...clearly she's infected with something but...is it just a weird fungus? Does it have something to do with the light? With the dead deer? Maybe the food is infested?

"LOOK, DO NOT TOUCH. Stay away, might be infectious!"

Tars is going to run forwards and into Ana's path, but staying a decent distance away. That is far enough away that a cloud of spores wouldn't reach and any blood splatter from Ana also would not reach. If the wind is blowing directly in this direction, pick a slightly different spot so that no spores can blow on me.

"ANA, HALT! COME TO YOUR SENSES IMMEDIATELY OR ELSE I WILL BE FORCED TO HARM YOU! I REPEAT, STOP WHERE YOU STAND!"

Ready a spear. If Ana keeps walking forwards, backpedal until it becomes clear that she'll wander into the wilderness before coming to her senses. If this is the case, throw a spear. If that doesn't stop (not kill) her, follow up with throwing knives until it does.
You still stand in front of her with a spear, shouting at her to stop and come to her senses. She seems to recognize you and nods, not going any further.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2018, 12:47:32 pm »

"You are still aware, good."
Tars lowers her spear slightly, though still keeping it ready.
"Are you aware that you've just gotten up and started walking away from camp, without a word of warning? And you are covered in... unsightly growths. I worry that it may be contagious, but quarantine is not a viable option here.
...Construct! You are smarter than I, and have a strong body. Would you inspect Ana and try to work out what's wrong with her? Besides the obvious growths, please."

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Inventory

Spoiler: Egan_BW, Pathfinder (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin, Observer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ozarck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tomasque (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: syvarris (click to show/hide)

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2018, 01:13:44 pm »

Give Tir stuff to cover up from the light, I guess.

^ I'll look through the inventory to make that more specific, when I have the time.
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2018, 02:55:15 am »

"You are still aware, good."
Tars lowers her spear slightly, though still keeping it ready.
"Are you aware that you've just gotten up and started walking away from camp, without a word of warning? And you are covered in... unsightly growths. I worry that it may be contagious, but quarantine is not a viable option here.
...Construct! You are smarter than I, and have a strong body. Would you inspect Ana and try to work out what's wrong with her? Besides the obvious growths, please."

Ana twitches.
"Multiple sources of attention. Mental in origin. 'Voices' in layman's speak; attention diverting actions help, thank you. I can speak about them, by not directly acknowledging them. They, referring to another communicable entity. Something interactable is out there. They feed on attention; language is...bubbly. Like popping sounds but much like smaller and quicker bubbles.

"I only need superficial inspection thank you. But please give me a blindfold to bind my ears or eyes. I believe this is sensory in interaction. Nevertheless, I advise a cautious method of facing this. We are an expedition team; we cannot face what we cannot fathom--this is something able to be experienced, but defined within physical laws, albeit yet unknown in specifics."

Let's keep going with that expedition!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:59:09 am by Tiruin »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2018, 07:12:22 am »

Carefully remain at a distance from Ti's character, but do not let her out of sight. Encourage the otehrs to keep an eye on her as well, and ask that she be taken out of nightwatch rotation until we understand her problem.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2018, 10:26:15 am »

^ I'll look through the inventory to make that more specific, when I have the time.
I gave you my Sun Cloak and my Wide Brimmed Hat. Is that okay?

Carefully remain at a distance from Ti's character, but do not let her out of sight. Encourage the otehrs to keep an eye on her as well, and ask that she be taken out of nightwatch rotation until we understand her problem.
I'll do the same.
Money!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2018, 10:37:32 am »

I gave you my Sun Cloak and my Wide Brimmed Hat. Is that okay?
Checked my inventory and...wait am I not wearing those freely under the Wear section? :X I thought I had equipped myself earlier! Oops.

Yeah totally okay with that.

Ana hands over her machete and any other pointy or weapon-y object to the Pathfinder.

"I have not felt any urge or otherwise to use this or conceive any malice towards others around me or myself. What I presume brought me to where I was, was some kind of calling or directive for movement. It doesn't seem to be hostile, as in, towards others given what I assume from what happened in what the rest of you (presumably) told me."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2018, 11:12:03 am »

Hey Tomasque, if memory serves, we have six of each of those. One for each of us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2018, 12:31:44 pm »

"...Likely that whatever organism has infected you is manipulating your brain chemistry in order to provoke a strong impulse to travel in that direction. Common among insects; fungus causes them to climb to the highest available point before releasing infectious spores. This may mean that you will not become dangerous until you reach the point which the infection is driving you towards. Still, it is best that we are careful.
I wonder why it attempts to travel east, rather than to a nearby mountain top. Perhaps because there are additional human organisms to infect in that direction. I hypothesize that the infecting agent causes a strong desire to return home, in order to more effectively spread itself among a population."

With help from the construct, surgically remove one of the fruiting bodies from Ana's body, and store it in a test tube. Examine the now-removed fruiting body. Does it appear that removing all of the fruits will be an effective cure? Likely not, and it's a more deeply-rooted infection.

"Hmm. It is likely that this infection is related to the carcass we encountered yesterday. Ana was the only one to touch it directly. If this is the case, we may eventually observe... mutation, possibly growth of additional limbs. That creature was also thoroughly incinerated, possibly by some person or entity in order to halt the spread of infection..."

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Inventory

Spoiler: Egan_BW, Pathfinder (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin, Observer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ozarck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tomasque (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: syvarris (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:36:38 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11