Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Lands of Blood and Fortune: A test  (Read 16132 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: Lands of Blood and Fortune: A test
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 01:27:10 pm »

Posting Stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:42:53 pm by LordPorkins »
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 01:29:54 pm »

Hey everyone (listen up, Tiruin):
we're buying For the Whole team together!
afterward, we'll pick individual items for individual party members. But for now, let's concentrate on TEAM GEAR.

I have written a suggested list of TEAM GEAR. some items will be one per person. some items will be one per two people or one per three people.
some items, such as torches, will be for the amount of time expected to be spent using them.

here is a basic TEAM GEAR list. Let's work from this for the moment.

2 lanterns (60)
1 book (15) + charcoal sticks
5 flasks of oil (50)
5 torches (25)
3 tinder box (60)
6 first aid (240)
6 canteen (120)
12 ration (120)
1 trail marker (10)
6 knives (180)
3 rope (60)
6 bedroll (900)
2 hammer (30)
3 candle bundles (45)
2 compass (60)
6 whistles (30)
1 sample set (25)
2 thread and needle sets (10)

total purchase:2040
remaining value: 1460

with this list, we would have about 243 each for weapons, besides the basic knives. I intend to purchase a bow (150) and 30 arrows (60)
pistols, rifles, and the fabled elephant gun are all more expensive, so we'd want to cut back on some of the basics to get them.

For instance, we could lose two bedrolls, and have a sleep rotation with guard duty.
I have a lot of redundancy for light sources (but candles are cheap)
food gets us six days without penalties, and the canteens get us three days. More if we find water en route.
we could drop half the medkits, maybe.

IF ATH sticks with the list they have for their character, we have a little more wiggle room, maybe.
I notice Sy's sheet is heavy on clothing, light on armament. Plus, a portion of his list is basically team oriented gear anyway.
Porkins, Like Sy, has spent more than their share of the money in his list.

note, I haven't included climbing gear, clothing items, booze, or half the tools. Can't have everything.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 01:31:47 pm »

Total expense: 500 even
Used all bag slots.

If I need to, I could swap my belt canteen with the cape and have 8 slots free. But having water on hand while on the trail seems a little necessary.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:59:05 pm by Egan_BW »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 03:23:52 pm »

Hey guys. Wanted to point out that ER has his inventory set up just as it should be. He has his bag filled with items, and even went above and beyond and represented his belt items and worn clothing.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 03:31:05 pm »

Damn it I wanted to be the rich jackass who stole most of the funding.

Suggested changes for party equipment:

• We don't need so many FAKs.  They have repeated uses, and restore a lot of health on each use.  Three is plenty, and would let us double our water supply, which is important because we should really be able to survive for a week without a safe water source.
  • Bedrolls are ridiculously expensive and unnecessary in large quantities, if we don't have enough money for whatever.  We have multiple high-fortitude people, and sleep is only important for stat healing.  We could make do with four, or even three, shuffling them around as needed.  Hell, if we have nightly watches with two people awake at all times, we wouldn't even need to have anyone sleep on the ground.

• I cannot read.  My first two suggestions were things you already commented on.  Consider this a vote to reduce how many of those we take.

• Pitons and harnesses are very valuable.  Two harnesses (70 cost) should be enough; after the first pair does the climb, they can take them off and use rope to return them to those waiting.  Pitons are more of a question, since they cost 50 per batch of ten.  How far will that extend?  I have no idea.  Should probably get a lot, to be safe.
  • Grappling hooks only cost 40, getting one is a must, and a spare wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • A single pickaxe (45) would also be a good idea, and unlike the grappling hook we're not terribly likely to lose it.
  • A spare sample set (25) wouldn't be unwise.  It's not a high risk item, but I have the feeling that it's one of the most valuable items we can take, in terms of payoff.  Having a spare also means we can safely send one set with anyone going into dangerous terrain, in case they find something valuable.
  • A LOT MORE FOOD AND WATER.  We don't want to have to rely on hunting/gathering, and we don't know how long we'll be out.  Both are cheap, and having extra doesn't hurt; I don't think we have to sacrifice anything major for more, and food is certainly a major supply in itself.

Notes for others:

Air bladders only cost 40 and grant five minutes of immunity to water and gasses.  They're a good choice for anyone with low end, as otherwise if we go caving a pocket of poison gas could be sudden death.

Clothes are fairly cheap, and provide valuable resistance to dangerous environmental hazards.  They're a must-have if you have low endurance (as most of us do), and probably a wise idea regardless.  If it weren't for ATHATH's d12 end, I'd recommend six outfits of straw cape + wide hat (25 each), because rain is unavoidable and I'd bet it's painful in this system.

@Piecewise
We haven't even agreed how much money each individual should get, and he's overspending in any case.
...Unless he's just putting team equipment items in his spoiler and not marking them, which is annoying.  Gah.  Why'd you make a game where a core mechanic is inventory management and then specifically not give us individual budgets?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 03:48:57 pm »

I was given 500 to spend, so I spent 500. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually say in the rules anywhere that I need to consider what anyone else is bringing, just that I have 500.

I made my list before oz said that we should do it as a team, he just posted before me. I'm spending exactly as much as I'm being given.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 04:24:05 pm »

• We don't need so many FAKs.  They have repeated uses, and restore a lot of health on each use.  Three is plenty, and would let us double our water supply, which is important because we should really be able to survive for a week without a safe water source.
  • Bedrolls are ridiculously expensive and unnecessary in large quantities, if we don't have enough money for whatever.  We have multiple high-fortitude people, and sleep is only important for stat healing.  We could make do with four, or even three, shuffling them around as needed.  Hell, if we have nightly watches with two people awake at all times, we wouldn't even need to have anyone sleep on the ground.

• I cannot read.  My first two suggestions were things you already commented on.  Consider this a vote to reduce how many of those we take.

• Pitons and harnesses are very valuable.  Two harnesses (70 cost) should be enough; after the first pair does the climb, they can take them off and use rope to return them to those waiting.  Pitons are more of a question, since they cost 50 per batch of ten.  How far will that extend?  I have no idea.  Should probably get a lot, to be safe.
  • Grappling hooks only cost 40, getting one is a must, and a spare wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • A single pickaxe (45) would also be a good idea, and unlike the grappling hook we're not terribly likely to lose it.
  • A spare sample set (25) wouldn't be unwise.  It's not a high risk item, but I have the feeling that it's one of the most valuable items we can take, in terms of payoff.  Having a spare also means we can safely send one set with anyone going into dangerous terrain, in case they find something valuable.
  • A LOT MORE FOOD AND WATER.  We don't want to have to rely on hunting/gathering, and we don't know how long we'll be out.  Both are cheap, and having extra doesn't hurt; I don't think we have to sacrifice anything major for more, and food is certainly a major supply in itself.

Notes for others:

Air bladders only cost 40 and grant five minutes of immunity to water and gasses.  They're a good choice for anyone with low end, as otherwise if we go caving a pocket of poison gas could be sudden death.

Clothes are fairly cheap, and provide valuable resistance to dangerous environmental hazards.  They're a must-have if you have low endurance (as most of us do), and probably a wise idea regardless.  If it weren't for ATHATH's d12 end, I'd recommend six outfits of straw cape + wide hat (25 each), because rain is unavoidable and I'd bet it's painful in this system.

@Piecewise
We haven't even agreed how much money each individual should get, and he's overspending in any case.
...Unless he's just putting team equipment items in his spoiler and not marking them, which is annoying.  Gah.  Why'd you make a game where a core mechanic is inventory management and then specifically not give us individual budgets?
I was given 500 to spend, so I spent 500. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually say in the rules anywhere that I need to consider what anyone else is bringing, just that I have 500.

I made my list before oz said that we should do it as a team, he just posted before me. I'm spending exactly as much as I'm being given.
The money is supposed to be a pool that increases as we increase the number of people. However, since thats probably a poor idea for PBP slowness, lets do this:

Each person has 500 for themselves and there is a communal 1000 on top of it. That brings up the total funds available and SHOULD allow everyone to more quickly get their own gear.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 04:53:15 pm »

I shall probably pack light for the good of the team.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 10:56:40 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
Do I roll the stats, or will Piecewise PM them?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:57:29 pm by Tomasque »
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 11:01:37 pm »

You can roll them yourself.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 02:29:36 am »

I wanted to do it as a team because that's how i read the rules - that the money was a pool we all shared. PW's change corrects that, so your list is fine.

Got any suggestions for team items?

Posting Stuff.

Porkins, you're gonna need to drop that rifle for now. That costs as much as you are given, or fully half the team fund of 1k, and we have otehr things to spend that 1k on. If we can swing it, I might be okay spending some team funds on a rifle though, but even a pistol would be  decent instead.

Notes for others:

@Piecewise
I agree that the climbing gear will be valuable. I wanted to see how you changed your gear before addressing it though. Climbing gear pickax, and other tools as team equipment is good, and i have no problem with adding a second sample set, especially now that we've gone with 500 individual and 1000 team funds.

I agree that four bedrolls is enough. Question is, are we going to spend individual funds or team funds on them? 600 for four is still quite a chunk of change.

as for the food, air bladder, and other expendables - nothing yet says we can't a) limit our journey to a five day frame, and b) avoid dangerous environments on our first expedition. We can scout out locations on our first journey, then prepare for those specific locations we want to revisit. Better than planning for everything at once and carrying useless items around all the time. with this in mind, I reiterate that i have overloaded us on lighting items, as a simple five day journey overland would likely need but a few hours worth of light sources.
I do think that overstocking on food by maybe 50% of expected use is wise though.

I shall probably pack light for the good of the team.
you are going to need food and water, and whatever else PW says you need for maintenance on that body. Otherwise, get what you want, up to the 500$ limit. If you have leftover, we'll gladly spend it, and if you have a request for an item using team funds, we'll gladly consider it.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 03:21:01 am »

currently, I am spending 350. I have set aside 150 for a bedroll, or for other equipment, depending on how we deal with the team fund.

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 09:45:58 am »

Dear waitlist guys: Don't spend more than the 500 you are allotted. Dear not waitlist guys: don't worry about what the waitlist guys are spending, only calculate for yourselves.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 10:28:59 am »

So, looking at our packs, it seems like Sy and Ti are the only ones without some stuff in them. I know Ti is sick right now and Sy is busy, so if you guys need help I can fill your packs for you if I know the items being put in there.

Do we have a list or are we still considering? Remember, 500 per individual then 1000 extra on top to be spread among the group. Spend that 500 first on your own then work out together what to spend the rest on. And any money left over will be usable in game if you get a chance to spend it.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 12:52:43 pm »

((Aw man. There goes my gentlemanly hunter idea.))
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11