Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feedback on biome styles  (Read 669 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Feedback on biome styles
« on: April 26, 2018, 10:48:00 am »

Hey guys,

I had a strange mood and thought that I could restrict grasses to specific biomes and use them to give them a unique look each. I can never tell ingame if something is grassland, savanna, shrubland... it all looks quite similar. So I changed that.

Now I need to improve what I have and I'd be very happy to get second opinions on it. It looks rather busy in tropical/savanna regions for example, but I guess that's the point.

I couldnt work much with color schemes, because plants, crops and trees still have to fit into every biome.

Here the biomes:

Spoiler: Badlands (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Broadleaf forest (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Conifer forest (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moist tropical forest (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Desert (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Grassland (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Glacier (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Savanna (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mountain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tundra (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marsh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Swamp (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ocean (with driftwood) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rocky wasteland (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taiga (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shrubland (click to show/hide)

Technically there are more, like distinctions between saltwater/freshwater swamps/marshes, or temperate/tropical grassland/shrubland/savanna. Ocean, pool, lake and river biomes I left out too, since there is no grass underwater anyway.

Good, evil, cavern 1, 2 and 3 biomes also have their unique style, but that's pretty standard.

So, any suggestions on how I could improve them?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:16:05 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Feedback on biome styles
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:29:13 pm »

These look brilliant!
On the glacier there could be one tile that is a large splitting Y-shape crack, and white snow accumulations.
Badlands: more brown on the edges of gray stone tiles, perhaps.
Tundra, way less rocks I guess.
Marsh looks like it needs something quite different.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:32:05 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:48:38 pm »

These look brilliant! Thank you!

On the glacier there could be one tile that is a large splitting Y-shape crack, and white snow accumulations. Glaciers only allow me to use a single sprite, it's all "ice".

Badlands: more brown on the edges of gray stone tiles, perhaps. It takes on the color of the floor material, this one happens to be gray. If it were clay or loam or sandstone, it would have been brown.

Tundra, way less rocks I guess. Sadly I can't affect that. I add the graphics with grass; Tundras often only have a "scarce" or "none" vegetation. The rocks are just normal floor without grass.

Marsh looks like it needs something quite different. Suggestions? :) I wanted to do cattails/reeds at first, but I can't force them to grow on river/pool edges, so I went with thorns/thistles instead. Vanilla DF marsh thistles, to be exact.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:08:26 pm »

Marsh grass, maybe try the pine needle tiles you have on top image's bottomrow 2nd image. Indicate uneven, hard to walk terrain.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:29:11 pm »

Something like this?

Dahrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 01:46:39 am »

I really like it! If I was being really picky, the only thing I'd point out are that the conifer leaf texture is a bit grainy and the shading on the edges of the stone floors disrupt the rhythm somewhat.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 09:43:07 am »

If I understand correctly, the exact color of foliage in determined by the raws, but maybe make the conifer foliage a bit darker than broadleaf in general, if that's possible?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.