Stopped, no more catification, but not less
- 2 (10%)
Reversal, but requires small magic input to keep
- 4 (20%)
Embrace the cat
- 8 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wands Race II - The calm before the storm [PRELUDE/INTRO]  (Read 4376 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race II - The calm before the storm [PRELUDE/INTRO]
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 02:28:04 pm »

Well this should be fun to watch.  :B
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 02:30:10 pm »

I think it's fine when the infrastructure involves a level of creativity.

Like, for example, the Crystalworks in the original WR.
Now, the Crystalworks had its problems. Those problems namely being the fact that it did not work with WR's expense system. I still personally believe that ES wasn't reaaally considering the impact of the Crystalworks when we were designing new crystal things; though I don't actually care about that now.

Because the Crystalworks was cool. It was made using new tech, in a new way, to do something new. It had a notable, tangible impact on the battlefield - making crystal designs cheaper - that could be felt. Now, infrastructure that's "Design: Factory It's a factory for our stuff." or the good ol' "revise a military vessel into a cargo ship" gambit, should be avoided. But stuff like the Crystalworks (in a resource-based system) I think is a good thing.

I do agree that there shouldn't be infrastructure for more "general improvements" though. Like, no "make our troops aim better" or anything like that.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 02:56:04 pm »

I take Chief's side in this:

Infrastructure, done well, can be an interesting addition to a game. But infrastructure/production being omnipresent and overbearing can be the most horrible thing to have to deal with.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 03:03:17 pm »

Oh, I suppose if you were some kind of masochist, you could use Draignean's system in Spires Race. It's a lot of work (I imagine), but I think the results are quite impressive. No question about whether to include infrastructure there, since you need it to even research designs in the first place.
Long Live United Forenia!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 05:29:03 pm »

yeah I'm gonna agree with the others on the 2d4 system.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 06:24:11 pm »

Infrastructure designs can lead to interesting things, like transports revised into makeshift combat ships or makeshift combat vehicles. Paratroopers, airdropped vehicles, landing craft. Revising an aircraft carrier into your sides main transport ship is itself an interesting piece of fluff. The reckless effect and ice giant were both fun and iconic designs. Transports are especially good if troop mobility speed is factored in.

I agree that factories and production infrastructure should be completely out of the scope of the game.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 07:09:06 pm »

Glad to see we're doing this.

That will be the subject of a future poll.

... if they did "fix" it, do they at least keep the catification technology?
~~~
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 09:05:01 pm »

So this is a continuation of where the last one left off or it is a new one in the same style as the first?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 09:13:53 pm »

Revising combat vessels into transport vessels is the most overplayed thing and closest thing that the Arms Race "genre" as a whole has to a cliché. It's done in eeevery game to get TC, and is frankly tiring.

For something like Wands Race, and how new everything is and how it can't easily be abstracted by historical progression, production infrastructure should 100% be in the scope.
Not completely, of course. But if you make a new material? Better learn how to produce it.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 09:31:55 pm »

Oh my god I hope this is gucci

Requesting that TC isn't in the game. It detracts from the game, as EvictedSaint says.

However, I like the 2d4 system, so backing that. And I also enjoy setting up infrastructure to help make stuff better. I do NOT want the masochistic Draignean system, though I do like the research method of multiple rolls for completion. Provided that it's just for megaprojects really.

Maybe there could be a separate Infrastructure section to the inventing? and the infrastructure is always a megaproject of some kind (requiring multiple turns).

So, Magic invention and revision as usual, with infrastructure added parallel, and then maybe a generic action/order before battle phase?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:39:02 pm by Thanatos Russ »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 11:31:42 pm »

You can try a separate infrastructure design phase like in the AR in sufficient velocity, solve the problem of wasted design.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 12:39:44 am »

Eh. Making infrastructure its own phase would make it a needless chore and wouldn't really add anything to the game.
Half of the fun of infrastructure designs the opportunity cost; balancing your long-term projects/infrastructure with immediate usage. Sure, you can spend a design working on the [Crystalworks], but you'd have to delay that immediately-useful design for a turn.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 02:30:43 am »

Maybe make infrastructure an event-design?  Like not every turn you can do infrastructure but where it makes sense that one or both sides should do something they both get a one off option?  That way its not every round and its not going to eat up normal designs.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 01:01:00 pm »

PTW.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 01:31:02 pm »

Voting on this poll ends today. Next poll: The issue of cats.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4