Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I know if an embark will freeze or not?  (Read 599 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I know if an embark will freeze or not?
« on: April 20, 2018, 02:21:09 am »

I'm looking for the formulae for determining if an embark will freeze at any time of the year (with the time of freezing/thawing being a bonus).
I expect there to be one formula for worlds with poles and another one for worlds with at least one pole. For worlds with pole(s) I expect the temperature of the world tile the embark lies in to be one factor, the latitude to be a second one, and the time of year to be a third one. I suspect elevation won't be a factor in the calculation as I expect its effects to have been accounted for when the world tile temperature was determined (latitude also affects the world tile temperature, but I would expect latitude to affect how much temperature varies over the year).

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Re: How do I know if an embark will freeze or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:38:28 am »

You find ☼Science Report: Temperature Parameters in Worldgen ☼ , a Masterwork Scroll.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168502

But you read the post 4 months ago, i don't know of any other Science of info about temperature and freezing :S .
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:40:30 am by Luriant »
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I know if an embark will freeze or not?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 04:44:46 am »

That thread contains useful !!SCIENCE!! (although I'd reserve Masterworks quality designation for the pinnacle, and that thread didn't actually nail things down, so it's "merely" Very Fine).

The thread speculates that temperate implies freezing winters, which doesn't match the real world climate zones. Southern Europe is in the temperate rather than the tropical zone, but water freezing is not a regular thing, even though it can happen.

Edit: Come to think of it, the temperate -> frost implication conjecture is wrong. My fortress has two temperate regions (and 7 tropical ones) and the temperate pools don't freeze in winter.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:03:25 am by PatrikLundell »