Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: About Perminant Bans  (Read 1137 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
About Perminant Bans
« on: April 18, 2018, 12:27:44 am »

I like to go through old toipics, much of the reason I'm here is to create Forum Games and I like to see what interesting things people have come up with. Sometimes I find some really cool stuff from someone that is no longer posting for some reason. And I often wonder why they left. Well I hit one up the other day, GreatWyrmGold. I found them on DeviantArt, and they told me they got banned. I was really shocked because this was someone who had an account a long time ago and was really active way back then. I do not mean to judge how bad their actions were maybe it was really bad maybe they needed to be banned for all time I don't know. But I also know I've had an acquaintance that got banned once, and all they did was make a new account(and I will not say who they were, and no it is not me I openly had a previous account as GameBoyBlue).

My point is.

People that disregard the rules, will make a new account.
People that respect the judgement are the ones we lose.

Could we please consider a more temporary warning system?
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: About Perminant Bans
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 01:19:59 am »

Yeah, bans are never a first resort. Those who are permabanned are given multiple warnings and temporary mutes before they are "permanently" removed. Even then, Toady has been aware of people's alts and given them a final chance, in the past.

Toady is, at least nowadays, exceptionally patient and relaxed when it comes to moderating. The system is fine as it is.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:39:05 am »

Yeah, GWG specifically didn't get banned because of getting into a shitfight on a topic, he got banned for getting into like at least half a dozen massive ones, receiving at least three warnings and a mute from Toady until patience was entirely lost and it became clear things weren't getting any better. If people get fast-track banned it's usually because of obvious malice (racial slurs, advocating genocide, that kind of thing), whereas regular belligerence gets a more than fair amount of patience and consideration, particularly in the case of long-time users.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 03:33:33 am »

Yup.
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:30:51 am »

I was really shocked because this was someone who had an account a long time ago and was really active way back then.
Elitism based on seniority or activity is something we don't want. Time spent moderating the forum is time not spent developing DF, so while Toady is patient, enough infractions will eventually lead to anyone's ban. GWG's ban was a wakeup call for everyone showing that even a high postcount (GWG had the highest at the time) won't protect from the Toad's ire if you keep ignoring warnings. While it's sad, I think the forum is ultimately better off for it.

People that disregard the rules, will make a new account.
People that respect the judgement are the ones we lose.
There are systems in place to prevent repeated bandodging. If one were to return as a better person after a few years, however, I'm sure they'd be welcome and not lost forever.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 04:34:10 am »

Toady is tolerant as all hell. Grisha5, after the shitstorm he/she caused, didn't get banned. You have to be ridiculously stupid to repeatedly ignore warnings and temp.bans.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:36:39 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 05:34:06 am »

Pathos?
Who is Pathos?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 05:36:30 am »

There are a few things that the great toad one does not tolerate--- at all.

1) racism.  If you come in here spewing pure racist crap, you will find the door faster than you can imagine.
2) Sexism, or sexual intolerance/hate. You pull that in here, the toad will make you very aware of the power of his banhammer.
3) Being a spamomatic spambot

For things like general acidity or coarse humor/cynicism... Yeah, patience that rivals that of the saints. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 07:16:47 am »

Easier to just list the forum guidelines

• Do not pick a fight or insult another poster.  Do not continue a fight if you feel you have been insulted.  Report it to the moderator.  If you instead respond in kind, you run the risk of being considered part of the problem.
  • Despite its prevalence on the internet, bigoted language is frowned upon here.  Do not go there.
  • Do not disrupt a thread with spam, giant images or intentionally garbled language.  Screenshots and so on that make sense in context are also allowed, but image spam is not allowed.  Forum games may use giant images but only in the spirit of the game as defined by the OP.
  • If the creator of a thread gives appropriate additional guidelines for an individual thread, please try to respect them.  Threads often drift away from their opening themes here, and there isn't a strong sense of thread "ownership", so there's a gray area, but if a thread has been designed for a specific purpose, please try to adhere to that, especially if the creator urges you to do so.  Do not derail threads.
  • If you post links to illegal material (files that are being illegally distributed, ie unsanctioned commercial game/music torrents/downloads, etc.) or post illegal images (or images that would have been behind 18+ warnings, etc.), you will be banned.  Don't ask for links or otherwise ask to be directed to places where you can download/obtain things like that either, even if the situation is somewhat more lax in your locality.
  • Do not discuss sexually oriented material.  There are exceptions to this rule, such as passing discussions of sexual content in movies, books, computer games, etc. in topics not directed specifically at the sexual material in question, but no sexually themed topics are allowed.  Sharing erotic images and erotic roleplaying are not permitted.  If you want to turn each other on, there are plenty of outlets for that.  This is not one of them.  Please refrain from sharing your sex life.

Also no ponies, quote pyramids should be trimmed and avoid b8

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:27 am »

And also no angry thread.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 08:27:54 am »

Toady is tolerant as all hell. Grisha5, after the shitstorm he/she caused, didn't get banned. You have to be ridiculously stupid to repeatedly ignore warnings and temp.bans.
Grisha didn't personally do anything. It was other idiots caught up in his meme who vandalized wikipedia.

Then Grisha changed his name to Catmeat and got banned for repeated violent threats.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 09:41:05 am »

Me, Pathos, for example.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 09:50:21 am »

No, I am Pathos!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 09:57:20 am »

The giant image thing is more etiquette than rule, if you can't avoid posting giant images, just spoilerize them.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 10:13:53 am »

The giant image thing is more etiquette than rule, if you can't avoid posting giant images, just spoilerize them.
Indeed, the guideline is "do not disrupt a thread." The problem is not giant images themselves, it's how using them wrong annoys everyone. There are many ways to make them easier on the eyes, with the slightest bit of effort. Spoilers, the width and height tags, editing the image to a lower resolution, linking to the image on another page instead of posting it here...
Pages: [1] 2