Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the subject of syndromes...  (Read 582 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
On the subject of syndromes...
« on: April 17, 2018, 10:09:35 am »

For syndromes like CE_SPEED_CHANGE and CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION, can I specify the start and end times, as well as a peak?

If so, how do I do so?

Thanks.
No amount of mods is too much

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: On the subject of syndromes...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:09:04 pm »

Every CE symptom needs a START time. An END time is optional, allowing you to impart permanent buffs and/or disabilities if you don't include one.

Code: [Select]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
PEAK only makes sense for symptoms with a SEV value - there's no severity for binary effects like transformation.

[CE_PAIN:SEV:75:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:10:PEAK:50:END:1200]
While all PEAK uses I know of are fit between a START and END time, theoretically an endless symptom with a PEAK time would slowly ramp up to the full extent of the curse/deformity. Testing is required there.

If you delay the start time, you can have some interesting layered effects. For example, here's a "rabies" bite I added for ice wolves, which applies only to dogs; it applies a fever for 500 ticks, and at the end of the fever it has a 1/3 chance for the creature to permanently turn Crazed, requiring an Old Yeller-type solution either before or right after the end of the fever.

[CE_FEVER:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:5:PEAK:400:END:500:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_ADD_TAG:CRAZED:PROB:33:RESISTABLE:START:499:DWF_STRETCH:4]

A similar effect; I made it so eating a dragon's heart gives you fire breath. However, you must first endure a fever, which prevents you from just munching it mid-combat. A similar approach could be used to make other abilities more interesting to acquire, such as rotting off body parts/tissues off before transforming into a new creature.

[CE_FEVER:PROB:100:SEV:100:START:0:END:25:ABRUPT_START:ABRUPT_END:DWF_STRETCH:4]
    [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:dragonblood:dragonbloods:dragonblood:START:25:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:25:ABRUPT_START:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CDI:INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Breathe fire] ~etc.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
Re: On the subject of syndromes...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 02:53:08 pm »

Every CE symptom needs a START time. An END time is optional, allowing you to impart permanent buffs and/or disabilities if you don't include one.

[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
PEAK only makes sense for symptoms with a SEV value - there's no severity for binary effects like transformation.

[CE_PAIN:SEV:75:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:10:PEAK:50:END:1200]
While all PEAK uses I know of are fit between a START and END time, theoretically an endless symptom with a PEAK time would slowly ramp up to the full extent of the curse/deformity. Testing is required there.

If you delay the start time, you can have some interesting layered effects. For example, here's a "rabies" bite I added for ice wolves, which applies only to dogs; it applies a fever for 500 ticks, and at the end of the fever it has a 1/3 chance for the creature to permanently turn Crazed, requiring an Old Yeller-type solution either before or right after the end of the fever.

[CE_FEVER:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:5:PEAK:400:END:500:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_ADD_TAG:CRAZED:PROB:33:RESISTABLE:START:499:DWF_STRETCH:4]

A similar effect; I made it so eating a dragon's heart gives you fire breath. However, you must first endure a fever, which prevents you from just munching it mid-combat. A similar approach could be used to make other abilities more interesting to acquire, such as rotting off body parts/tissues off before transforming into a new creature.

[CE_FEVER:PROB:100:SEV:100:START:0:END:25:ABRUPT_START:ABRUPT_END:DWF_STRETCH:4]
    [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:dragonblood:dragonbloods:dragonblood:START:25:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:25:ABRUPT_START:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CDI:INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Breathe fire] ~etc.

Thank you very much. I was making a cave-blob-like creature called a "gloom" that can "spread sadness" by making the dwarf slower and making them feel sad, but only for a while.
No amount of mods is too much