Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Power & Pulse: A good day to plan victory  (Read 25969 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Power & Pulse: Harm from the Machine / That Happened
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2018, 06:45:16 pm »

Not sure what's "risky" about teleporting a live grenade with an impact fuse into you hand. I wish you were a mage so I could watch you try that clever trick.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2018, 07:32:42 pm »

@Lenglon
Okay, first I just want to say to say that I almost entirely agree with you, and that Dev's just being his usual gobliny self.  I'm just not gonna rehash all the stuff you've already pointed out.  However...

Mechs, as Radio pointed out, did take some strong damage.  Nico's lightning very nearly killed my char, and it also stunned and nearly crippled Leaf's char too.  Yeah, it was too little too late, especially considering that Nico apparently did both to himself, but judging from what you said, Mages were outmatched mostly due to being outgunned.  Yeah, guns're kinda the mech's hat... but you would've won if you'd had three Nicos, and you could've given yourself better chances just by taking useful weapons.  An anti-personnel rifle?  Why would you even have that?  Take a gun that can actually hurt your enemies!  Bring explosives, and supplies that open options up to you.  Anti-thermal imaging equipment, smoke grenades, hell, camoflage blankets.  Mages pretty much get a carte blanche on carried items, especially if they're the explicitly OP spaceshifters pocketshifters (?), make use of that.  From what you said, it sounds like you guys weren't even trying to build versatility for yourselves, which severely disadvantages you from the getgo.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2018, 07:48:33 pm »

I was building a character, not an arena statsheet. The character I built is not specifically designed to fight giant robots that she hasn't even heard anything more than the vaguest of rumors about. she has no reason to carry any of that stuff. anti-thermal-imaging? who has thermal imaging in the first place? why would I need a bigger rifle than an anti-personnel rifle? the most dangerous enemy I might encounter would be a mage, and that's what the weapon is perfect for. explosives? while hunting a large bandit group? why? Stuff has weight yo. I'm carrying all my stuff on my back, cuz I can outrun a horse any day of the week. I mean, I maybe should have brought a single block of C4 for demolition purposes but...

The mechs have, until THIS MOMENT, had a huge information advantage, in that they knew the kind of things they were fighting, at least vaguely. the mages have had no in-character reason to spec towards fighting mechs. THIS is the single biggest, most valuable, thing the mages acomplished with this fight. They got themselves, and their information out.

Tanya's role is that of a scout, sabotour, assassin, etc. an arena-battle is the worst thing she could end up in. Where Tanya can shine is when people think they're safe. or in simply making the mech players stay at combat power 24/7 and exhaust their reserves. This, however, is something that will require DAYS of her stalking her targets. This is also part of why I want us to not be teleported directly into combat, I want to have time to get to work. When the fight itself breaks out, Tanya's work, one way or another, is basically done. Either she's laid the groundwork for victory, or she has failed.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2018, 08:08:29 pm »

Hmm, yeah, it would probably be best to not just drop all six characters directly into combat. In this regard the first mission was a pretty good test, telling me that if I set up a standup fight, the mechs win. Which I probably should have known already because I made the game and ran several tests and almost an entire real mission but hey LEARNING EXPERIENCES.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2018, 08:10:41 pm »

Leng... I don't mean to upset you, but you're setting yourself up for failure.  Power and Pulse is, at its core, an arena game.  To be fair, that isn't explicit, and it certainly wouldn't be the first RP-focused game with a smidgen of lore balanced atop a wall of mechanics... but it's still a PvP game, and if you look closely it is built such that it can't really be anything else.  That means that if you sacrifice effectiveness for character (something I strongly believe is unnecessary for an interesting character), your RP char is just going to be mulched and replaced when they get killed by a powergamer.

Yes, if your character knew nothing about mechs before this encounter, they were screwed from the start.  That's not a reason to complain about the game balance or a loss, that's a reason to complain to the GM for setting you up to fail.  Except I'm pretty certain that ER would then ask why you're assuming that mages haven't encountered mechs before--we certainly weren't told anything about that.  Two of our characters actually have direct lore connections to the events in the previous thread, and ER never complained about that despite them explicitly being pointed out.  Again, it wasn't stated explicitly, but that's why you ask questions before... gimping yourself on an assumption.  :-\

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2018, 08:16:01 pm »

See, I was going to cite the mage mission briefing as evidence that the first P&P was retconned out of existance, supported by there being no vererancy or aftereffects from the first P&P.
Then I re-read the mage mission brief where it practically straight-up said that we knew about the alien invaders, their mechs, that they're gathering arcane, etc.
so now I feel a little stupid.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2018, 08:24:55 pm »

So, since that apparently was a thing, please excuse me while I open the mech character design spoilers so I can get a basic idea of what exactly I'm fighting beyond "big stompy thing".

Oh, and mech players, as far as I'm aware there's no secrets in the mage spoilers, feel free to open them since our match is over.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Power & Pulse intermission 4: Answers
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2018, 09:08:44 pm »

"Your questions seem like ones that have multiple layers of meaning, much deeper and more complex than they seem at first glance. I believe I will have great difficulty answering them accurately and properly, though I will try to do so. I request that you allow for errors in both my understanding of the questions and in the accuracy of the answers I am able to give."
"Any error on your part will be equally as enlightening as the answer itself."

"Your first question, that of my nature,is not a very precise one to my perspective, as there are many, many meanings of the word 'nature', and I am uncertain of which meaning you speak. My best understanding of the question is that of asking what manner of creature I am, or generally how I perceive myself, and what I consider my identity. I view myself as a mage with a deep connection to the swift fox, particularly my companion Rose. I do my best to look after my friends and family, and although I do not enjoy combat, I am willing to fight and kill to protect those I care about, should it be necessary. I strive to remain aware of my surroundings and myself, and to think before I act. I greatly enjoy Rose's company, and do my best to understand her, in many senses considering her a sister of sorts. I... I feel like my description of myself is incomplete, but am not sure what types of details you need, and believe I could be spending a very, very long time here with you if I attempted to convey every single possible aspect and detail of who I am, especially since I am aware of the fact that even I do not fully know every such detail about myself."
"Simply telling me your own understanding is enough. It is clear that you understand the limits of your own perception, this is good."

"Where I came from seems on the surface like you are asking me about the physical location I last knew I was standing at before I became lost, yet it might also be asking me about my background and life history that made me who I am today. The physical location I got lost at was one I have limited desire to return to at this time, for it was in a desert where I was being ambushed by some strange invaders in very large machines that seem to be slaughtering those they come across without any evaluation of the appropriateness of such actions. I strongly dislike their behaviors yet do not see a effective way for me to oppose them unassisted, leaving my most effective course of action to be to minimize the damage they cause whilst investigating and looking for alternative options and opportunities. Upon coming under their attack I gathered together those with me who were also their targets, and guided them safely home, yet the path I could find for them was not large enough for me and Rose to follow, leaving us stranded and lost upon the way, for they needed the path even more than us, and I have some hope to find an alternate route."
"You find such detail in simple questions! I wonder if this is the product of an exacting mind, or simple fear that leaving something out will lead to disaster?"
The stone woman puts her hand on her chin.
"Perhaps that would be a well-placed fear. Beings such as me are not as... flexible as yourself. We must act according to the information at hand, and not gut feeling. Though I feel sympathy for your situation, I cannot act on it."

"Where I believe we must travel seems on the surface, again, like you are asking about a physical location, yet expanding upon the possible alternate meaning from before you might also be asking what my long-term goals are for my life, and what I seek to accomplish or become in the future. The physical location that I am attempting to reach is to regroup with the allies that I helped escape from the attack of before, with the plan of working together to accomplish the goal of stopping these attacks. This location is the city were are based out of, the city of Xeniga, however I believe that if I can find my way nearby to my destination, then it will not be overly difficult to accomplish the task of traveling the rest of the way unguided."
"I know of this city. A path is possible."

"Your fourth question is yet another with depth to it, but seems the easiest to answer. I am willing to change, for change is a natural part of life. I have hopes to guide my changes, to change in ways pleasing to those I care about, and to change for the better more than not, but everyone changes all the time, to a greater or lesser degree. I wish to know how I am to change, and to have the choice to go through with it or not if it is at all reasonably possible, but I am willing to change."
"Very well, I will explain the process and allow you to accept or decline.

When you entered this plane, you also created a linkage between yourself, and it. You may not have felt it, but every step that you take here, that linkage changes you. So strictly speaking, you are not longer rightfully the inhabitant of the ground plane from which you originate. You are now a creature of this place. It is for this reason that I cannot allow you to pass through, and for this reason that you must change."

She picks up a metal chalice from the ground and holds it up to her face, which begins oozing a thick blue substance.
"If you accept, drink this. It will change you to fit into your own world better. You will start to feel the air here bite into your skin, as you are no longer welcome; this is normal. Once you begin to change, start walking. Direction won't matter. You will find a plank. Step off the plank you to will return home."

She holds the chalice out towards you.
"I cannot promise that you will return to your former form. Indeed, you will change even farther from it than you are now. Every hundred days, the honey's effects will reactivate, and you will change farther. Your 'sister' may change too.
If this is not the path you choose, you may remain here. Now it may seem to you alien and hostile, but in time you will find peace here."

Spoiler: Lenglon (click to show/hide)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2018, 09:16:35 pm »

work on improving my magical Endurance/capacity. Use 2 exp during this training.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2018, 09:18:29 pm »

"I... I am fearful, but I know that accepting your offer is the right thing for me to do. This place is not a bad one, but I have a role I must fulfill... Thank you."
Drink, walk, and together with Rose, lets return home

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2018, 10:21:01 pm »

So hey, Marie just died. Needing a new mech sheet here.

Spoiler: logs yay (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 10:33:34 pm by Egan_BW »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Power & Pulse intermission 5: Deeps of the World
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2018, 11:25:23 pm »

"I... I am fearful, but I know that accepting your offer is the right thing for me to do. This place is not a bad one, but I have a role I must fulfill... Thank you."
Drink, walk, and together with Rose, lets return home
You take the chalice and drink. The liquid within is sticky and tastes like flowers, like honey. A moment later it hits your stomach, and you feel the world around you sharpen, like teeth on your skin. You're surrounded by eyes which stare you down, telling you to leave.
"I do not require thanks. Many would consider what I'm doing as killing you. Goodbye. And hurry."
She says this with sorrow in her voice.
The grove and the woman fade away, leaving the only terrain around you a tunnel forwards, lined with spikes. You run forwards, with no choice but to let the spikes pierce your flesh. The walls close in around you...
[1]
The pain in your feet overcomes you, and you topple forwards. The pain from your whole torso being in contact with the spikes insures that you don't get up. The hall keeps tightening, closing up all around you, squeezing the air from your lungs...
Darkness closes in. And not the kind that you can navigate.

[3]
You are changed farther...
I bleed this...

...Stay...

...Deep calls to Deep...

...Vacant Moan...
T-this isn't getting a happy ending, is it.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2018, 11:29:09 pm »

Follow Rose.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Power & Pulse intermission 6: Return to Normalcy (?)
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2018, 12:41:44 am »

Follow Rose.
You step forwards, and walk off the edge. You fall, and your pain is relieved.
You land lightly onto a bed of leaves and dirt, and feel the familiar sun on your skin through the trees. Your name is Tanya Xelcarostia, and you've just had a terrible... day? week? decade?
You sit, up, half expecting more flames. But there's nothing. Just the good old, not-sharp reality and you know and cherish. Well. You'll certainly cherish it now.
Rose yips to get your attention. Both you and her are changed now, but to what extent remains to be seen.

[You can assume that you can find your way back home. This is the last Intermission post for now.]

Oh yes, XP. Well we can certainly say it was quite an experience.
[6+5+1]=12
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:44:49 am by Egan_BW »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2018, 12:48:38 am »

work on improving my magical Endurance/capacity. Use 2 exp during this training.

[4]
You become slightly stronger in general. Very slightly, because you're not improving anything specific, 2 XP isn't a lot, and simple buffs like that aren't what this is really for.

Spoiler: syvarris (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Radio Controlled (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dustan Hache (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Yottawhat (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13