Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Power & Pulse: A good day to plan victory  (Read 25956 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Power & Pulse turn 5: That Happened
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2018, 04:10:15 pm »

Now, I already know that This next turn is going to start with one roll that might make everyone else's actions irrelevant. So I may as well save us all some time and roll that.
Really I just wrote up to how long I think a turn would take, but just about everyone still has things that they had in their actions that they simply haven't had time to do yet.

[6]

Spoiler: mechs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: mages (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: syvarris (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hiddenleafguy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Radio Controlled (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lenglon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dustan Hache (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Yottawhat (click to show/hide)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Power & Pulse: Harm from the Machine / That Happened
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2018, 05:24:52 pm »

Okay, so, I think my next few actions might as well be fully public because people are going to be interested in what is going on and I see no way for this to tactically impact the mechs vs mages situation anymore.

So in short: my character used a Push to blink-evacuate the mages out of the one-sided ambush we were in... and the dice rolled *poorly*
Everyone ELSE got out. apparently my character is stuck in some limbo-world.

So, requesting some quick solo turns because of my special disconnected situation. What do I see/feel/notice?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2018, 05:41:29 pm »

And people were complaining that mages are OP. We basically just got destroyed, LOST ONE OF OUR TEAMMATES, and didn't even manage to do permanent damage to the enemy. This is completely the definition of OP. bad enough we spawned on the worst battlefield possible...
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2018, 05:46:03 pm »

Tis' what we get for bringing only the squish glass cannons on a mission.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2018, 06:00:09 pm »

Look I told you to bring a warehouse of explosives and you didn't listen.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2018, 06:02:44 pm »

Um, don't count me as dead yet please. I haven't given up on Tanya yet.

Tis' what we get for bringing only the squish glass cannons on a mission.

Please look at Dustin's character, because you are wrong.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2018, 06:17:18 pm »

tis what you get for going with the strategy of all clustering up when under grenade fire.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2018, 06:19:03 pm »

tis what you get for going with the strategy of all clustering up when under grenade fire.
um, we were clustered at the start because we spawned there. we clusted at the end to evac. we spread out the entire time in between.
so...
what are you talking about?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Power & Pulse intermission 1: Goodbye
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2018, 06:40:16 pm »

Okay, so, I think my next few actions might as well be fully public because people are going to be interested in what is going on and I see no way for this to tactically impact the mechs vs mages situation anymore.

So in short: my character used a Push to blink-evacuate the mages out of the one-sided ambush we were in... and the dice rolled *poorly*
Everyone ELSE got out. apparently my character is stuck in some limbo-world.

So, requesting some quick solo turns because of my special disconnected situation. What do I see/feel/notice?

You are on the surface of a technicolor spike ball made from leftover or ill-fitting pieces of space, forced out of reality and into here. There's no sky here, just more fragmented reality. This is the place you need to visit in order to blink large distances, but usually you only pass through for a moment, slingshotting through. What you did back there... was not typical. The only reason you could find your way at all is become of Rose. She's here too, though here she's a bit more abstract, made of those same colorful shards as the rest of this place.
...The spot in the floor through which Donnell slipped into the real world began patching itself back up the moment that he and Niko went through. You knew that only two of you could get back that way. You'll need to find another way, if there is one.

As the crack at your feet finishes closing itself, the light fades, and you're left in darkness.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:43:10 pm by Egan_BW »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2018, 07:08:52 pm »

nah, i'm not left in darkness. 1) light/darkness doesn't exist properly in this place anyway, so light/darkness shouldn't matter. Probably more reliant on my ability to blink to see, because of its relation to this place, than on actual vision anyway. and 2) even if light did, i'm a freakin lightshifter. I can fix the situation if necessary. so... nope. I can see. one way or another.

Now then, Rose was able to help me find my way, I need to take care of her, and and find my way back as well. So lets get lookin, cuz where I need to be ain't here.

Check for possible destinations via Rose, via my sensations associated with Blinking, and via obersation of my surroundings for things that stand out as possible destination, threats, or resources.

additionally I'm not actually gonna be all *that* picky about where I exit. I don't necessarilly need to arrive at my team. I can simply get back into normal reality at a non-suicidal location and that'll be a good start.

one thing I'm going to pay close attention to is any other Blink users that might pass through the area, they might serve as guideposts for me.

edit:

if the darkness thing really is a problem, and lightshifting won't cut it, I can always become bio-luminescent, or make my eyes able to see in the darkness, or whatever. lots of solutions to this problem.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:19:48 pm by Lenglon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Power & Pulse intermission 2: The Adjudicator
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2018, 07:48:30 pm »

nah, i'm not left in darkness. 1) light/darkness doesn't exist properly in this place anyway, so light/darkness shouldn't matter. Probably more reliant on my ability to blink to see, because of its relation to this place, than on actual vision anyway. and 2) even if light did, i'm a freakin lightshifter. I can fix the situation if necessary. so... nope. I can see. one way or another.

Now then, Rose was able to help me find my way, I need to take care of her, and and find my way back as well. So lets get lookin, cuz where I need to be ain't here.

Check for possible destinations via Rose, via my sensations associated with Blinking, and via obersation of my surroundings for things that stand out as possible destination, threats, or resources.

additionally I'm not actually gonna be all *that* picky about where I exit. I don't necessarilly need to arrive at my team. I can simply get back into normal reality at a non-suicidal location and that'll be a good start.

one thing I'm going to pay close attention to is any other Blink users that might pass through the area, they might serve as guideposts for me.

If I tell you, do you doubt it? Why would you assume that light and dark don't matter here, in a place which I have thought up?
And you would assume too, that while light doesn't act the same way, but lightshifting does?

Regardless, I never meant to mandate that you're unable to see with no way around it, merely that darkness has fallen, and will remain unless acted upon by outside force. It cannot be denied though, that it is dark, and this is true regardless of the relevance of the darkness or your ability to negate it.
In truth however, the difference is merely cosmetic, as one doesn't require seeing to navigate this place. Depending on the sharpness of your senses and your familiarity with the space this might be true of plenty to places in the real world, as well.
After all, Rose can't see as well as you but might find things you would miss by virtue of superior hearing and scent.

Which may, in a metaphorical sense, be true here as well. Or perhaps spirit animals in general simply make for good guides through strange places, for literary reasons. Oh well, it makes sense to me.

Where were we? Oh yes, we were rolling dice and playing an online roleplaying game. With help from your little furred friend, you search this place. What will you find, I wonder?
Oh mechanical muse, help me with this conundrum!
I facilitate contact with they that are unknown to you.

I will offer advice, if you wish.

Be mindful; truth is never subjective

I resonate with it...

...Vines and Ivy...

...Absolute Law...

...Soul Honey...
[3]

Rose finds a grove of trees and vines. Not as rough as most things here; smooth and real.
Inside the grove, you find a woman made of lumpy cobblestones sitting on a rotten tree stump. The vines that twirl between the gaps shift like muscles as you approach, and she looks to you with stony (literally) eyes.
You might expect her voice to be like gravel, but instead it is like honey, though the words themselves carry little kindness.
"Hello. I am an adjudicator, and you have found me. What business do you have here?"

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:50:11 pm by Egan_BW »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:13 pm »

"I am Tanya, and I have become lost. I am attempting to return to where I am supposed to be, yet do not know the proper path to take to get there. I have come seeking guidance home."

((I phrased my doubts that way in case this was a place where reality is dictated by one's expectations.))
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:03:02 pm by Lenglon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Power & Pulse intermission 3: Questions
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »

"I am Tanya, and I have become lost. I am attempting to return to where I am supposed to be, yet do not know the proper path to take to get there. I have come seeking guidance home."

((I phrased my doubts that way in case this was a place where reality is dictated by one's expectations.))
"Very well, I am sure that I can set you on the correct path. The first step in this process is to determine what path you belong on. So I must ask some questions, and you must answer them.

First, what is your nature?
Second, from whence do you come?
Third, where do you believe that you must travel?
Fourth, are you willing to change to get where you need to go?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2018, 09:08:56 pm »

"Your questions seem like ones that have multiple layers of meaning, much deeper and more complex than they seem at first glance. I believe I will have great difficulty answering them accurately and properly, though I will try to do so. I request that you allow for errors in both my understanding of the questions and in the accuracy of the answers I am able to give."

"Your first question, that of my nature,is not a very precise one to my perspective, as there are many, many meanings of the word 'nature', and I am uncertain of which meaning you speak. My best understanding of the question is that of asking what manner of creature I am, or generally how I perceive myself, and what I consider my identity. I view myself as a mage with a deep connection to the swift fox, particularly my companion Rose. I do my best to look after my friends and family, and although I do not enjoy combat, I am willing to fight and kill to protect those I care about, should it be necessary. I strive to remain aware of my surroundings and myself, and to think before I act. I greatly enjoy Rose's company, and do my best to understand her, in many senses considering her a sister of sorts. I... I feel like my description of myself is incomplete, but am not sure what types of details you need, and believe I could be spending a very, very long time here with you if I attempted to convey every single possible aspect and detail of who I am, especially since I am aware of the fact that even I do not fully know every such detail about myself."

"Where I came from seems on the surface like you are asking me about the physical location I last knew I was standing at before I became lost, yet it might also be asking me about my background and life history that made me who I am today. The physical location I got lost at was one I have limited desire to return to at this time, for it was in a desert where I was being ambushed by some strange invaders in very large machines that seem to be slaughtering those they come across without any evaluation of the appropriateness of such actions. I strongly dislike their behaviors yet do not see a effective way for me to oppose them unassisted, leaving my most effective course of action to be to minimize the damage they cause whilst investigating and looking for alternative options and opportunities. Upon coming under their attack I gathered together those with me who were also their targets, and guided them safely home, yet the path I could find for them was not large enough for me and Rose to follow, leaving us stranded and lost upon the way, for they needed the path even more than us, and I have some hope to find an alternate route."

"Where I believe we must travel seems on the surface, again, like you are asking about a physical location, yet expanding upon the possible alternate meaning from before you might also be asking what my long-term goals are for my life, and what I seek to accomplish or become in the future. The physical location that I am attempting to reach is to regroup with the allies that I helped escape from the attack of before, with the plan of working together to accomplish the goal of stopping these attacks. This location is the city were are based out of, the city of Xeniga, however I believe that if I can find my way nearby to my destination, then it will not be overly difficult to accomplish the task of traveling the rest of the way unguided."

"Your fourth question is yet another with depth to it, but seems the easiest to answer. I am willing to change, for change is a natural part of life. I have hopes to guide my changes, to change in ways pleasing to those I care about, and to change for the better more than not, but everyone changes all the time, to a greater or lesser degree. I wish to know how I am to change, and to have the choice to go through with it or not if it is at all reasonably possible, but I am willing to change."
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:13:21 pm by Lenglon »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2018, 09:21:01 pm »

And people were complaining that mages are OP. We basically just got destroyed, LOST ONE OF OUR TEAMMATES, and didn't even manage to do permanent damage to the enemy. This is completely the definition of OP. bad enough we spawned on the worst battlefield possible...

Yeaaah, I don't understand why anyone's been thinking mages are OP.  In almost all of the test games, mages lost to mechs.  The only exceptions I recall were a 2v1 where the mech chose to try and capture one of the mages (he killed the other and had a chance to kill the second), and got killed due to that.  The second was a titan vs juggernaut match which boiled down to die comparisons between equally strong powerhouses.

Mechs have the advantage in this game.  It's straight RTD, which means most combat is die comparison--and unlike mages, mechs get Hitpoints, which means they're allowed to fail more rolls before death.  Mages do get more interesting and versatile powers, but those aren't very important in RTD.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13