Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seed Bags  (Read 4056 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed Bags
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 06:22:34 am »

Other bag burns away...
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 12:32:35 pm »

So you don't bother with flour or dye either?

Usually I just make 100 extra bags and grumble a bit. By the time I set up the dye industry I have seed issues sorted. But none of the bag-requiring jobs are necessary for a successful fort, so you certainly could skip all of 'em.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 08:03:56 pm »

Generally I set up my cloth industry pretty quickly.  If I'm feeling lazy I'll even embark with a llama or sheep to get wool.  I make bags of exactly 1 type of material and then I use the manager to ensure that I always have an empty bag.  It takes time setting up, but after that there's very little to do.  Usually I keep my inventory limits pretty small, so I'll process plants when I have < 5 thread, weave when I have < 5 cloth (never auto-loom), and make bags when I have less than 3 empty bags.  Later I'll add dying into the mix, but I usually don't bother at first.  In a suitable biome, usually the first thing I do is look for rope reed (I've never been on an embark that supports rope reed that didn't have it).  This gives a sustainable supply of cloth starting only about a month into the fortress.  Like I said, I might bring a llama or sheep to get me started up quicker if I need to (cheaper than the equivalent amount of bags ;-) ).

A long time ago I did an experiment where I had a small general seed stockpile that accepted all kinds of seed and a single tile stockpile for each kind of seed, linking from the general to the specific.  I can't for the life of me remember if it worked...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:23:34 am »

You can keep seeds inside the still by having the still give to a stockpile that doesn't accept seeds.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 12:42:44 am »

Dwarfs will still put seeds in bags and you will find many bags of 2 or 3 seeds in the still.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 02:51:50 pm »

It works for me. Perhaps the trick is to have no stockpiles at all that take a particular kind of seed.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 05:57:30 am »

Other bag burns away...
Candy is rare, cloth is infinite.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 02:48:13 am »

For those interested, I'm retrying my experiment with having a small central seed stockpile and then individual, single tile stockpiles for each type of seed that I use.  The individual stockpiles take from the central stockpile.

So far so good.  At the moment I'm using a single bag for each type of seed.  I made the central stockpile only a single tile with the idea that it would accumulate seeds and the seeds would be distributed to the satelite stockpiles.  Note that theoretically this shouldn't work because bags are containers and containers don't work that way... but for some reason I thought it did work for seeds.

It *is* working in that when I get new seeds for things that already have a bag, they are ending up in that bag.  The problem should be in things I don't currently have bags for.  Unfortunately the central bag gets TSKed for a very long time when someone decides to queue up a seed hauling job.  If there is more than one seed, then another bag gets used.  Since that bag is not in a stockpile, the seed just sits there.  So I think you need enough tiles (and bags) to handle all the simultaneous seed hauling jobs.  I've increased my stockpile to 3 (I only have 7 dwarfs).  I'm hoping to a mixed seed bag in the central stockpile to see if it ever gets emptied.

The main takeaway is that you will need 1 bag for each seed hauling job, so it depends on how many seeds are being generated and how busy your fortress is.  If you've queued up a lot of jobs, then the seed hauling will be infrequent meaning that there will be a lot of seeds which will cause contention of the bags (and therefore usage of a new bag).  I don't think there is a way around it.  I verified that seeds get bagged whether or not you have a stockpile for them.
Pages: 1 [2]