Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Steps to War: A grand strategy game where you can settle Antarctica  (Read 17672 times)

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steps to War: A grand strategy game where you can settle Antarctica
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2018, 03:13:03 pm »

What is the popular means to get unemployment down right now? I've been sitting at 50% since the start

Also my security expense went away yay
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 03:16:04 pm by Android »

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 23, 2018, 01:20:09 am »

My Corporal should have finished training in November, 1986. It's December, 1986 now and it still hasn't finished training.
I don't know what my spies are doing. I don't get any reports from the missions and the View button doesn't work.
The IMF proposal has passed years ago, yet nothing has actually changed.
Given this is the third testing launch/phase for this game, I can only imagine what kind of issues were present last times.

I'm done for now.

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 24, 2018, 04:24:44 am »

First version of the guide is available on discord. Not much to gain from it tho, it's more basic explaination of how to choose your start location.

On another hand, things start to get better, admin released a note with various fixes and how-to (again, on the discord) lower unemployment. Most of it we already do it there.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 24, 2018, 04:27:27 am »

For those curious...this is a hobby project and will have zero monetization involved...so thats good or bad...not pay to win or anything like that but will obviously take the backseat in the long run to the developers work or other projects

Here are the notes btw...we are actually gettting change notes now which is nice:

v1.0.12
Birth rate & Death rate
- Birth & Death rate depend on:
-- Health Care budget (Birth = Pre/Neo/Post Natal, Death -> diseases, prevention, research)
-- Health Care development
-- General Expenses
-- Employment Level
-- Poverty Level

Population growth
- Children grow up to be adults
- Adults grow up to be elderly
- Elderly can die
- Composition of Children, Adults and Elderly can change based on death rate

Poverty & Unemployment
- Changed average minimum wage to 'Median' value
- Employment status will weigh heavier
- Social Security will weigh heavier
- Economic health, Corruption & Expenses weigh heavier

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 24, 2018, 04:44:26 am »

I'm A-OK with it being a hobby project, I'm just annoyed at the level of misrepresentation. I got into it initially on the premise that it was a functional beta with a functional gameplay loop.

What we actually have is a pre-alpha where many/most of the mechanics aren't even built yet. If that had been said up front, I wouldn't have bothered in the first place.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 24, 2018, 09:38:02 am »

looks like things are starting to pick up... unemployment is finally starting to go down, population growth is back to my former values (even though it started from the bottom and says 2%, the way the pop is growing is more like 102%..). pop composition is actually representing the real pop now, too.

edit: oh i get what happened. yearly pop growth has been replaced with monthly one, the avg world pop growth is 0.19%..
edit: holy mama corruption at 2.4%

now that military leaders have been trained, has anyone managed to do anything?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:44:10 am by Geltor »

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 24, 2018, 03:50:11 pm »

Military leaders are still bugged for me.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 01, 2018, 01:33:51 pm »

i dont know if anyone cares at this point, but i figured out a way to get rich:

step 1:
set all of your expenses to the max and get into massive spiraling debt. its crucial to have your healthcare to the max to make population grow.

step 2:
make sure your population, and therefore the economy, grow as much as possible. if you have your healthcare set to the max, your population should grow exponentially, regardless of your pop cap.

having a larger economy means you will make more cash from taxation, but will also mean that you will spend more via the budget. both your income and debt will grow at an exponential rate. you will notice, however, that your debt is growing at such a pace, that it will more or less always match your spending. for example, im 100 trillion in debt, but am spending 100 trillion a year.

step 3:
once you decide that you want to get out of debt, simply stop all spending. the income has grown in a constant ratio to the debt, which means the time to repay the debt is the same no matter how big your economy has grown.

step 4:
wait anywhere from 150 to 3 years to fully repay your debt, based on your employment and tax rate
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 02:23:15 pm by Geltor »

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 02, 2018, 04:02:42 am »

Yup, exacly what i did, without even realizing it at first. The thing is, once you stop investing in healthcare, it doesn't deteriorate and degrade. What you achieved stay (not logical). In conclusion, budget is more like technological research than country maintenance.

So even if healthcare is 0, you will keep on growing (which is a problem, since when the real updates will roll, people like me will be stuck with 100 millions child for 10 millions adults, so heaaaavy resource cost).

Currently i gain 1T every month... but i couldn't stop my pop growth even if i wanted to.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2018, 08:11:32 am »

Yeah...I suspect a huge correction will happen when resources come in to effect...mass famines and shortages of everything

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 04, 2018, 05:04:09 pm »

I raised all taxes to 70%, came back, and there was almost no change in the economy. I'm thinking the economic model is currently nonfunctional.

I did however, manage to get a platoon up and ready. I don't know how to use it though.

The military system is almost like the system in DF: very complicated. I created an organization off of my corporal and assigned my 10 riflemen to him. I don't know how to use this platoon though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 05:06:14 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 04, 2018, 11:29:17 pm »

Reckon it is more on the lines of non-functional, rather then obscure.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 05, 2018, 11:46:18 am »

yeah, i dont believe the devs excuse either. "oh well basically this game is evolving the rules by itself with a super whammy ai".

also, global population is getting hilariously ridiculous. each hex is an area of 10 square km. i personally have about 80 b i l l i o n people. they are not canned like sardines at this point, theyre basically squashed down to a 1.25 mm thin film of meat
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 11:52:49 am by Geltor »

Munashe

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 05, 2018, 03:40:08 pm »

The population is getting really ridiculous. Just checking now, there are 660 trillion people on the planet. Using the generous 2000ft^2 per person for food with maximum efficiency "farming" and living space metric in Isaac Arthur's arcology videos, and the 10km^2 per hex, you'd need an arcology with around 1.6 million floors, 50,000 people per floor to support your 80,000,000,000 strong population. I'm assuming heat dissipation would be your biggest issue, and you'd have to use active support to build such a tall structure, and probably some sort of tether/counterweight up in orbit to hold it in place. It'd end up being more like a space elevator with a 10km^2 footprint than anything resembling a conventional structure. This "game" is completely broken if I'm being honest about it.

Whivy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 07, 2018, 04:03:10 am »

I really wonder how they are working on it though. I understand the fact that it's a free time occupation project. But is setting a max population check in the code that difficult ? And if it's just an error, which can happen, why not hotfixing asap ?

I mean at this point, a complete reroll is obligatory.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20