Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Steps to War: A grand strategy game where you can settle Antarctica  (Read 17680 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steps to War: A grand strategy game where you can settle Antarctica
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2018, 06:27:13 am »

This is cool. I'll make a country in africa also. BS12 Domineering anyone?
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2018, 06:57:04 am »

I'm in! My country is the Neo JEWEL Republic, located in scenic Grenada!

It seem we're (almost) neighbours, then. The Kingdom of Puerto Rico welcomes you and extends its hands in friendship :)

Although I still have absolutely no clue how this game is actually played.

Hello comrade! I have no idea how anything works either but I sent you a couple of treaties, including an alliance. Sign them if you'd like!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2018, 07:02:04 am »

I’m located in the Netherlands, but I won’t have time to really look at the game until Monday, so we’ll see if I still exist at that point, or if I’m cut off in my one hex.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2018, 08:41:55 am »

Vandeland has sent military research treaties to the nations named in this thread.

Also, I've no clue if I'm massively underspending, overspending, or what, but I started training some soldiers and building some vehicles, cos several more people have now settled Madagascar.  Also a couple of spy cells.

Ive signed and accepted that treaty. It is still pending (along with the one from Shooer too). I think you need to sign your own treaties too in the politic tab before they pass maybe. Not sure how useful the reasearch will be at 1% and 1 year though, that will last just a single day? (not that I know anything about this game either so just an assumption!)

Shooer sent me a comprehensive alliance, with everything but auto declare war declarations accepted. It has research as part of it along with other stuff although I dont know what it means. I can send a version to you if your interested?

Without any idea of income, I havent even set any spending in the budget yet. Got 100bn in cash and -10bn a year from "default items. What did you set as research spending?

Edit:
Troop wise. Again no idea of course but I set a few single troops to train to get some henchmen asap. Then a couple of 10-20 groups of infrantry with intermediate training, even those take 1.5-4 years training though. Seems long time for such a small group. I don't imagine novice troops are much good but the training difference is quite big so I consider whether to ditch those groups for novice and get men out asap for safety, hmmm. Since the game is "realistic" world stuff I have to assume no one can seriously do much with just a couple of troops anyway - if my neighbour spams novice troops asap can he invade and occupy me with 20 troops ... doesnt seem likely if we are countries of 100k pop but who knows right now!  ???
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:57:32 am by Crowe~ »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2018, 08:57:10 am »

Yeah, noticed earlier that you have to sign your own treaties, so I've done that now.  I just used the default settings for the treaty cos I have no clue about the game at this point (and the max was only 4 years anyway).  When setting up the treaty it says it gives both parties a bonus equivalent to 10% of the combined Research Capacities of the group, but I'm hazy on exactly what constitutes Research Capacities.  I'm also wondering if I should have just sent one research treaty including everyone, rather than separate ones to each?  Dunno if that'd be any different in effect.

Shooer sent me the same alliance (which I've signed), but I'm hazy on exactly what either the Research or Resources part of it will do vs a Research Partnership or Free Market.  My research screen says I'm sharing all military research with North Australia though.  Happy to sign one with you too if you like, I guess we'll find out exactly what it all does once time starts moving.

I have 98.8bn in cash cos I spent some on training/producing units I guess?  I think a lot of people are immediately paying back that 100bn though, since it's a loan from the IMF.  I've set my research at 13.3%, which equates to 444m.  My total expenses are 10.58bn.  Apparently I have 1.97bn tax income, so that doesn't look great...

Edit: for troops I'm sticking to Novice to get something up asap, with about 30 assorted infantry and a handful of vehicles.  I noticed that the Corporal can command 39 units, so I figure a starting force should be around that size.

Incidentally, is anyone here Borneo?  They sent me an economic partnership treaty, along with a research treaty (for non-military stuff, but I don't see any option to research anything other than military...)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:02:12 am by Biowraith »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2018, 09:06:25 am »

Seems the formal alliance system is definitely still in work.  Even if you fill every thing out it ask you to fill something out that isn't on the screen.  Gives me time to try and come up with a Y word to end the acronym with to get EBAY as an alliance short handle.

The alliance treaty though seems to just be a bunch of the other treaties that can be just warped together without a time limit.  Trade, research, military access, intelligence and so on.

I'm currently researching IFVs.  Might switch over to aircraft or ships if enough people are already doing research into ground vehicles, and research sharing works.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2018, 09:51:08 am »

I see the income now, missed it before. Im getting 3.03bn income, I did set taxes to 20/30/40% across the brackets though, so thats probably why Im higher. And like you say, don't look good at all --- 3.3bn to interest, 3.46bn to "security", 3.28bn to corruption --- how can I have more corruption then taxes... surely corruption comes out of the taxes up to the max of 100% income. Going bankrupt at this rate. Maybe this is why people are paying back the cash, is the corruption/security so high because you have a large pot of cash?

The treaties - its does seem to me like you get bonus from what it says with the specific type treaties. Strangely if i go to set a research partnership it says 10% top and on the slider too, yet the treaty that came to me shows as only 1% on the slider. Hopefully the durations are just a timeout limit, otherwise sending treaties every few days will be annoying/forgetful.

My guess is the alliance is pure military thing and sharing tech outright hopefully, possibly the unit training/production means we can train within each others countries during war or control recruitment? Resources, again I dont know maybe its related to using fuels/oils/ammo within each other countries. Just specualtions.

Right now that budget has to be a huge concern to sort out. I guess taxes are going to 50%+ for starters.. I will set research at a round 500m and keep it there for now but how long that will be feasble. I was going to research infrantry veichles and split it 50%/50% speed/armor (not sure if you guys noticed but seems you have to set breakdown spending too?)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2018, 09:57:24 am »

The training/production part of the alliance treaty is apparently that other countries can use your facilities to train/build units... but that'll tie them up so you can't use your own production, or so a youtube video from a year ago said.  I dunno.

On the budget side of things, I'm waiting to see how trade and taxing resources comes into play before I worry too much about it.

And I didn't notice the breakdown for research, good catch.  I don't see a way to allocate to particular parts though?

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2018, 10:02:41 am »

And I didn't notice the breakdown for research, good catch.  I don't see a way to allocate to particular parts though?

When I click the +Research (within the Budget screen), it shows a list which relates to infrantry veichiles, which I selected in the military research section. It shows speed, armor, stealth etc sliders to set.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:11:24 am by Crowe~ »

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2018, 10:04:38 am »

Oh, I see now, I was in the research screen rather than the budget screen.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2018, 10:10:31 am »

Yes, sorry I wasnt too clear with my typing as usual. I will edit that post.

In the budget screen, seems everything has massive breakdowns of spending types. Not sure what happens if they are all set to 0% (which they are by default). I have to assume a nice program will allocate it evenly to them all rather than waste the cash.. hopefully.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2018, 10:17:04 am »

I also noticed that in the Economy screens, all the resources were set to Banned by default...

Also, it keeps resetting the "meet domestic consumption" setting to off.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2018, 10:26:56 am »

I also noticed that in the Economy screens, all the resources were set to Banned by default...

Also, it keeps resetting the "meet domestic consumption" setting to off.

What the.... no one wonder these people are so damn poor, not even allowed food! Thats taking dictatorship a bit too far even for the most brutal regime   :o

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2018, 12:22:42 pm »

Is this game supposed to be functional currently?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2018, 12:30:54 pm »

It totally isn't. It will be actually started in... 12 hours? A day? Two days? Dev knows, doesn't want to say. For now you can settle somewhere on the map, tweak some things, set some troops to be built, and that's it. Time stands still still.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:45:11 pm by MCreeper »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20