Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Steps to War: A grand strategy game where you can settle Antarctica  (Read 17674 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steps to War: A grand strategy game where you can settle Antarctica
« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2018, 02:21:27 pm »

They know you’re doing your best and love you for it.

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2018, 05:06:08 am »

Game dead.
Did someone hit max debt?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 20, 2018, 06:22:26 am »

They broke the debt ceiling internet world.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2018, 10:59:59 am »

Its back up btw

According to the dev:

TL:DR
The server ran out of hard drive space and took the whole system down. The game uses Machine Learning to make the world interact/react to player choices. The guide should hopefully be out this weekend

Basically long story short: we ran out of disk space for our big database
We added another TB to the 3 databases to ensure integrity

We do use about 3 GB a day
Machine Learning eats up memory, but also disk space

I then pressed him about the role of machine learning has with the game and this is what he said:

The game is being trained based on user interaction to become an independent player
That's the core of the game.

It's meant to learn from the interactions of all the nations and make the world even more realistic, using prediction models  (e.g. if there is a war about to break out - the stock market reacts to it before it happens).

Sometimes we think we made it too complicated - hence why things get broken unintended
But we are writing up the guide, hopefully we will have something to release before end of the weekend
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:10:51 am by dennislp3 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 20, 2018, 03:43:26 pm »

slashed health budget to 0, and birth rate kept growing. It seems it is tied to other sldiers as well. I am slashing across the board now, and the increase of birth rate has slowed, only 0.02% per day now. However, I am at 92.5% birth rate, so I need to slash even more if I want to avoid the 100% roll back. Hopefully I can level out at a nice 95% or so and get a population of 1 million...

On the plus side, my expenses are way down due to all the slashing. Now I spend only half of my GDP per year.

edit: Success! stable at 92%, now I will have the hugest population ever!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:20:00 pm by andrea »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2018, 05:03:56 pm »

Just realized I'm at that same point.  Population sits at 14 kids per adult right now.  That means each couple has over 28 kids, each.

Also unemployment is down to 93%.  So, yay.

Guess since so many people are unemployed there's not much to do.  Also healthcare was 100% so why not I guess.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2018, 05:34:53 pm »

well, at the current rate of growth my adult population, assuming it is made entirely of couples, has twins each month. I think we left the realm of mammals and entered the domain of fishes in terms of offspring size.

How did you get unemployment down? I am still at 95%. I am not sure if I should icnrease or lower my minimum wage,
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:36:56 pm by andrea »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2018, 06:09:40 pm »

I am currently running at a deficit of 130 billion and a national debt of 120 billion with no apparent difficulties so far. Unemployment stands at 74% (as it has for pretty much the whole game so far), and poverty at 100%. My GDP is over twice that of most nations around me at 46 billion. The birth rate is 89% and the death rate is 0.5%, and I have 350,000 children and 70,000 adults.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2018, 03:00:11 am »

How did you get unemployment down? I am still at 95%. I am not sure if I should icnrease or lower my minimum wage,
I set my min wage to ®130.  It's been steadily dropping about .45% a RL day.

I didn't catch my pop growth fast enough and it's bottomed out.  577,004 Children to 31,085 adults.  In 16 in game years my military will have a nice pool of conscript candidates.

So many things about this are broken.  Pop growth shouldn't have gotten that high.  Let alone having it just turn over to 0.  Ignoring my Min wage shouldn't have made my population quit their jobs and then just stick around.  They should have moved out or something.  Let's not even get into trying to recover it.  HOW IS NO ONE HIRING AND/OR JUST STARTING NEW BUSINESSES.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2018, 03:18:32 am »

Can confirm $130 min wage reduces unemployment - I've been stuck at 95% with a $100 wage, just set it to $130 and next game-day I'm down to 94.9988% unemployment.  Jobs for everyone!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2018, 03:31:53 am »

wow. It actually worked!

in a few real life years I should be out of poverty and with a budget.

At least I am on track for a million people in a 3-4 hours. I managed to get birth rate under control and am hovering at 90%, so things are going quite fast. Every month, more chidlren are born than I have adults in my country.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2018, 05:58:30 am »

I then pressed him about the role of machine learning has with the game and this is what he said:

The game is being trained based on user interaction to become an independent player
That's the core of the game.

It's meant to learn from the interactions of all the nations and make the world even more realistic, using prediction models  (e.g. if there is a war about to break out - the stock market reacts to it before it happens).

Sometimes we think we made it too complicated - hence why things get broken unintended
But we are writing up the guide, hopefully we will have something to release before end of the weekend
wow, so advanced...

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2018, 06:02:12 am »

After playing with most sliders slowly over the week, I finally got around to messing with minimum wage increasing it slowly yesterday. Only up to 45 so far and never saw a change, but long way to go if the area of effect is all the way up at 130, yikes. That could be totally different for me since I never hit the 95unemp. Going to keep tweaking to see where if at all it moves unemp up/down so will find out eventually I guess.

A low minimum wage does not kill your unemployment in my area/nation. I had it at 1, for 2-3 game years, after playing with it up to 24 near the start, when that "great recession" hit the world I dropped it to 1 and never touched it again till yesterday.

That super advanced AI economic machine learning sounds real cool... yet pop growth based of kids having kids having kids, and amongst other problems in the game... are quite simple oversights or fixes, hmmmm  ::)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:05:57 am by Crowe~ »

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2018, 07:29:10 am »

So after paying some half-hearted attention to this game, I'd like to ask what the current (economic) goal should be.

My budget is completely out of whack, since I have expenses of 25bn whit an income of 5bn. Most of my expenses are debt and corruption, summing up to 20bn. Income comes solely from taxing the 'Higher Rate' at 40%. Minimum wage is 30$, my population is currently declining at a rate of 0.5% after a slow but steady growth. Healthcare and Infrastructure are currently my biggest expenses in the budget screen (after debt and corruption).

How do those numbers look? What could be better?

edit: Also, my military leaders are still in training, despite them having finished training some months ago...

edit1: Military leaders are live, but unfortunately the infantry I trained earlier did indeed vanish - unlike the combat helicopters I produced.

edit2: Military leaders are all kind of wonky. Corporal (the most basic level) can control 39 soldiers, sergeants (a step up) can only control 30 soldiers. There also seems to be no way to actually order your troops around. At least none that I have found.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:26:25 am by Urist McManiac »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2018, 11:38:36 am »

Well, things are kind of broken now. Your income number looks very good. Low pop growth or even negative means low health budget.

expenses scale with total pop, while income doesn't (not sure if static or tied to adults only).
Taxes are also heavily tied to unemployment.

On other news, my population is more than 1M now, and growth is mostly stable.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20